Thread: Disintegrate

Hybrid View

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

Disintegrate

Name: Disintegrate
    Circles: ? / Destruction
    Description: Target unit with fort? save less than X is destroyed. (9 resist in MoM)

OK, so in MoM Disintegrate either worked 100% or you couldn't cast it. So 8 or less resist units died from this spell in MoM.

I don't know what number of fort save to put as the threshold in WoM, but I like the idea of the threshold save value.

This spell is in the same boat as Crack's Call for me: i.e. I didn't like it. Instant kill spells just aren't fun in my book.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    The resist value was fairly low, so higher units were immune.
    The best use of this spell is in combination with a spell that lowers saving throws.

My main issue with Cracks Call was that you couldn't resurrect the units. Heroes and trained units alike were gone forever with Cracks Call. Also Cracks Call was a flat 25% chance and even Torin wasn't immune. That was the evil part.

OK, so I just read up on Disintegrate again. In MoM, it also made units gone forever. I suppose it fits the lore of "there's nothing left of the body."

The main thing is to set the threshold low enough that the spell can't cheese a combat all by itself.

I'm still not a fan.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I like it.

First, I don't think we need to have every spell MOM had. Second, I guess I just had such bad experiences with spells like Crack's Call and Disintegrate that I am not all that excited about them being in WoM. I'd rather pass on this one.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Well instead of the MoM version, think of the D&D version. You fail a save, you die. You make a save, you take damage. So it would only kill stuff with lower fortitude generally.

And you'd make it a very high level spell that only very high level casters would have researched. Meaning that by then you should have good defenses against it. If you don't, that's more your fault than the caster.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    The D&D version did 2D6 per caster level, it didn't kill you outright. Things with lots and lots of HP could still survive on a failed save.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    I'm ok with it if the threshold is low enough so most heroes/titans/high-tier unit would be immune, and it can only wipe out low-tier units.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I just figured it'd be a Tier 9 spell. If people put nine ranks into destruction, I'm not against the top layer being strong..

And as said, any epic hero tier thing should have the health/saves to live through being thwacked with this, even if they don't enjoy doing so..