Thread: What I want to see - Global Spells - Variable Races - Islands

Cool What I want to see - Global Spells - Variable Races - Islands

Hi,

Loved the preview video. The main things I want to see in the game that were not in the nearest competitors are variety - want to see different playable races not just humanoids with slightly different shaped ears.

For example Master of Magic had Klackons, which were graphically and mechanically different.

I also want to see powerful global spells like Master of Magic or Dominions 3. Remember Eternal Night, anyone?
    Finally, I want to see islands and the AI able to use boats intelligently, not just one huge landmass.

Love what I am seeing so far.
    Last edited by Tholok; 09-11-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Heya Tholok,

Welcome to the boards! I'm interested in making naval units more important myself. What's something specific you'd like to see in the mechanics regarding naval units?

Peace,

-Troy

PS: Check out what's going on in this thread if you'd like to give some specific feedback on three of out factions: http://forum.wastelands-interactive....-Last-Thoughts
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Hi Tholok.
    You don't want humanoids with slightly different shaped ears? Then what would you have done with, say, the Dark Elves, as an example, to make them stand out and be different? Not that i'm asking out of personal curiosity... >.>;;
    'Everything you wanted to know about Dark Elves that i'm allowed to post' - thread coming soon

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    lol Cirno... btw, what's that emoticon? I've never seen it and it's not in the wiki

i guess thatwhat you wonted is good points why were mom remakes and clones were bad. no meaningful variety.

elemantal if we forget starting bugs, had ok combat i guess (havet played much, no time spent on enchantres) close to mom, but spell? like heroes of might and magic series having access to only levels 1-2 spell of 5 (no comment on awesame/bad and or practicability, like armagedon that look great but also disaster to own units unles in specific case, like army from only magic immune dragons but enemy is all ready dead anyway).

warlock also had such spells (with some more interesting like invisibility i guess usually unavailable unless from specific god, so nothing special). combat is nothing special, far for mom and going to civilization style thats not for this kind of game. even more disastrous is hard to improve magic skill (how much spell to cast per turn), and practicly able to cast just one patheticly weak fireball per GLOBAL turn since there is no tactical layer. its really crippling, in mom player could surley make enchanted weapon or cast other global spell but still support units in combat without problem (except available mana).

not sure what is problem with age of wonder shadow magic. and maybe there were one or 2 more mom clones that went into oblivion. i think one was called lords of magic. does dominion 3 count as clone? but wouldnt call it bad but opposite, on other hand wouldnt call it mom since diffrent map (provinces instead of chessboard), more magic ;-), no additional plane (except in backstory and spell that pull units to hell or similar "pleasant" place), bigger number ofunits in battle but magic and units are used diffrently (to 1k units and lots of i"firework"). hmm maybe not count too different type but maybe inspired by it.

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

smiley is i guess B - ), that B could look like sunglasses. on button with smiley it show for it something like" : cool :", spaces to not make it accidentally.
    Last edited by Spellcaster; 09-12-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Welcome to the boards! I'm interested in making naval units more important myself. What's something specific you'd like to see in the mechanics regarding naval units?
    Thanks! What I meant was some games, indeed the original Master of Magic, would have seas and even islands but the AI would never actually understand / use boats - it would simply attack with flying units if at all. I would like to see the AI use boats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirno9destiny View Post
    You don't want humanoids with slightly different shaped ears? Then what would you have done with, say, the Dark Elves, as an example, to make them stand out and be different? Not that i'm asking out of personal curiosity... >.>;;
    I am happy with elves, but in addition I would like to see some races other than humanoids (e.g. spiders).

Quote Originally Posted by Tholok View Post
    Thanks! What I meant was some games, indeed the original Master of Magic, would have seas and even islands but the AI would never actually understand / use boats - it would simply attack with flying units if at all. I would like to see the AI use boats.
    Yes, I agree that flying units were overused in MoM. It was just too easy to rely on them in that game. Hopefully, flying units won't be as plentiful in WoM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Unless you play against Draconian. then you might just have nothing BUT flying units.

I am happy with elves, but in addition I would like to see some races other than humanoids (e.g. spiders).
    Well the race does contain at least one pure spider unit... planning out races/factions is harder than you think.
    Last edited by Cirno9destiny; 09-15-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    'Everything you wanted to know about Dark Elves that i'm allowed to post' - thread coming soon

for flying why not add race whose special ability is teleport similar to draconians flying? to keep ability from being broken unless unit is some special summoned units (like unicorn, djin and great wyrm) this have reduction in range (like half map for example) and especially only allowed few time to teleport in combat like once in most reduced version of ability. not sure should should spells and artefact give full type (like tree units above from mom) or completly reduced reserved for this units (half reduced and its one time trick)

it allow fast movement to get to archers/mages/closest melle units, but since its used once thay cant escape later and are still atacckable by melle troops if close enough unlike flying units.

for comments on too many humanoid races then design this one as from lowest units some armored cat/dog like unit as for example axhound from way of kings (scout, basic melle unit, http://coppermind.net/wiki/Axehound), "archers" that trow lightning, poisonous spikes, short range shouting (sonic attack, ignore armor or give stronger damage depending on armor, attack all units in line) or some other exotic ranged attack not sure how it would look except non humanoid, especialy since mage units and other elite troops could look like something from Lovecraft's horror novels for example. some shapes with possible special ability could be mage being black flesh mass full of bright shiny spheres (in original mom it could make battle count like its fought at fortress so no special increase of cost of spell), translucent orb with tentacles that steals enchantments to heal itself and or use them or get mana from it to give it to mages troops/heroes in long combat, anithing else from someone with better imagination.

hmm, problem of some overpowerd ability is offset by price but they shouldn't need them in too big number too worry about it, more problem to me is its home should be some magical plane like magical plane from mom or age of wonders shadow magic, but new kinds of plains and this race are excellent for dlc/expansion.

hmm for what is mana used in back story since heroes in mom dont use it in battle. maybe they could also cast spells overland but magical energy get diffused on such range before it get to target so no effect and they dont know to extract and use mana unlike player mage, only ones theire body naturally collect so no need for crystals? d&d& 4 have some special magical dust gained by disechanting magical items and used enchant more, funny similar mechanic to mana in mom .also mana collect from special places on map, magical labs (alchemy lab as example) and especialy important in d20 religious buldings (as i understand arcane and divine magic are mechanically unrelated things, but not as much mechanily as psionic is from them). i guess player mage will be represented only by fortress (mom) not as unit (age of wonders) so only heroes benefit from items like ones that reduce spell resistance or increase mana/magic skill? and even with close range if battle realy is fought in city with mage's fortress mana is still used for players spells (not ones by heroes or mage units, reason above on possible explanation of mana)

and maybe for elves and some other races and few versions of concealment ability that allow units to hide on strategic map but not combat level if on right terrain like forest. it could be gained from spells and artifacts (especially cloaks for example).
    Last edited by Spellcaster; 09-16-2013 at 07:44 AM.