View Poll Results: Should the units for the Draconian faction be...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • All flying (with possible exception of Settlers)

24 50.00%
  • A mix of flying and non-flying units (specifics TBD later)

24 50.00%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draconians [First Vote: Flying vs. Non-Flying]

The Draconians [First Vote: Flying vs. Non-Flying]

Okay backers, let’s talk dragon-people! If you haven’t read the original thread and the follow-up thread for Draconians, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to do that. One of the biggest debates in those threads centered around whether or not all the units for the Draconians should fly. There were good arguments and ideas on both sides. So with that preliminary discussion over, I proposed to Aaron to have this be the first vote for the Draconian faction since the way it goes will greatly influence the rest of the faction’s units and culture. He agreed.

There are some nuances. The vote for “All Flying” does not necessarily include the Settler unit. In MoM, Draconian Settlers couldn’t fly. We’ll leave whether or not Draconian Settlers should be able to fly to a future vote. So we don’t have to worry about that now. Also, it was mentioned that some Draconians would "earn their wings" so to speak as they level up. That's something we'll tackle in a later vote if "All Flying" wins.

The vote for “A Mix of Flying and Non-Flying” is not a vote for whether or not the Draconian faction will include lizardfolk. We’ll decide that later if we have to.

So, I hope that people read this thread before voting. Please feel free to advocate for your preference. That would be great, IMO. But let me lay some quick ground rules in the same spirit Aaron did when he started threads like this. This thread is FOR discussing the virtues of all flying or a mix of flying/non-flying units. This thread is NOT for discussing Settler Unit flight, Lizardfolk, specific units and which ones should or should not fly, faction names, or other cultural aspects of the Draconians. Also, we don’t really need to discuss the Insectoid race which might also feature flying and non-flying units. I promise, we will get to that stuff

This poll will close on Monday.

Peace,

-Troy
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 09-16-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Guys, feel free to support you votes with argument. I'm interested in the reasoning as well as the decision.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    All Draconian units should be able to fly. I frankly don't understand the argument that they're too mobile. Mobility is one of the reasons you play the Draconians!!!

I can maybe see the argument that low tier units need to "earn" their wings at a level up, but they all need to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    All Draconian units should be able to fly. I frankly don't understand the argument that they're too mobile. Mobility is one of the reasons you play the Draconians!!!

I can maybe see the argument that low tier units need to "earn" their wings at a level up, but they all need to fly.
    Crap, I forgot to mention that in my initial post. I'll fix it, thanks ampoliros.

Apprentice
    I'm personal against a Race that only have flying units.
    My reason for this is that giving a unit flying it have to be balanced trought make te unit more expensive or weaker.
    There diverent reasons why some units can't fly
    1) young people can't fly for the first months/ years in theyr live
    2) old people get to heavy to be carried by theyr wings
    3) cultural or religious dogma demand cripling of the wings for some special unit typs.

I'm against ALL of them flying. The Vast majority, yes. Some learning to fly later, that's fine. But having all your units flying does leave you open to anti-air things. You need at least one unit with high mobility without flying. Or perhaps a stealth unit. While everyone is looking to the skys, RAH, ninja draconian from the bushes.

Kinda like in SC and you are going against a skytoss online to find Dark templar getting your drones because your detection is busy looking out for motherships! ... *cough*
    'Everything you wanted to know about Dark Elves that i'm allowed to post' - thread coming soon

Tough call. On one hand, having all of them fly makes draconians really unique and follows MoM tradition, on the other - can be fairly game-breaking.

I always eschewed balance for flavour, so I'll do it here too. All flying. We can cripple them in some other way - low growth, high unrest, etc. - but flight is what defines Draconians, the same way being dead defines Unhallowed.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post

I completely agree. I want each faction to play uniquely. Having all the Draconian units as flying would really set them apart from a game mechanics point of view. Therefor I am for all flying all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Adauli View Post
    1) young people can't fly for the first months/ years in theyr live
    2) old people get to heavy to be carried by theyr wings
    3) cultural or religious dogma demand cripling of the wings for some special unit typs.
    These are interesting reasons, but I would point out that 1) it is unlikely that the young would be pressed into military service, 2) the old would be allowed into military service in the field, and 3) this is highly unusual, since I can't think of any religion off the top of my head that requires its members to physicaly criple themselves.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    I am going to pitch in with a bit of practicality here..............The capture and garrison of cities ?

At some point Draconians either have to have cheap levy/garrison units or they have to stop flying to garrison their cities surely?

I would say 7 or 8 out of 9 units to be purely flying but some ground stuff (young hatchlings?) I would think does not detract from their unique nature.

Then again..........they are not Dead so what do I know
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast