View Poll Results: Should the units for the Draconian faction be...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • All flying (with possible exception of Settlers)

24 50.00%
  • A mix of flying and non-flying units (specifics TBD later)

24 50.00%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draconians [First Vote: Flying vs. Non-Flying]

Your reasoning makes good sense to me, until this:

I would say 7 or 8 out of 9 units to be purely flying but some ground stuff (young hatchlings?)
    Why would young hatchlings be a military unit? If that's all the non-flier proponents have, I know I'll have to vote for all flying. The very young would not be used for military service. Hatchlings taking on trained warriors? How cruel!
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

i voted all fliers,for 2 reaons:

1. Like others that voted " all flying" i want the playing style of the draconians to be as unique and thematic as possible and i am willing to sacrifice some balance thoughts for this
    2. I played a lot of Age of Wonders 2 and the draconian race there did have quite a lot of non flyers...i always hated this.

It's shame you didn't have an 'all flying except (maybe) settler and one other unit option)'. :P
    I would have liked to have seen a fast, mobile unit to help reinforce any grounded flyiers, but if you must allow the race to fall foul of the anti-air techniques of the other races then so be it, feel free to get caught up in Dark Elf web traps, i'm sure you'll make the best slaves. <3
    'Everything you wanted to know about Dark Elves that i'm allowed to post' - thread coming soon

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Ah Troy..........

"The very young would not be pressed into Military Service?*

Tell that to the Volksturm of Old men and Hitler Youth or the US Confederate Cadets sent out from Military acadamies in the dying days of the Confederacy.

Squires were often teenagers and fought alongside their Liege regularly in military times.

Have you seen the make up of many African resistance armies in terms of age that later become governing forces?

Your objections may be moral but hardly always a reason to dismiss the young hatchlings being pressed into service.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

It's shame you didn't have an 'all flying except (maybe) settler and one other unit option)'
    That's exactly what the second choice is. If the second choice wins, the backers will have a chance to decide how many units and which units will have flying in a later vote(s).

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Tell that to the Volksturm of Old men and Hitler Youth or the US Confederate Cadets sent out from Military acadamies in the dying days of the Confederacy.
    Yes, but all those people had legs!

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Well if you are after historical examples for me to prove my argument involving Draconians i will struggle
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    A mix simply because of balance issues. Draconians are dragon-kin and presumably long-lived compared to other non-elf races, this could be used to justify a long maturity period where the lower tiers simply do not have well-developed wings to fly proficiently. Having low level Draconians have 'Flying I' as an ability whereby the unit can use it's wings similar to a jump-pack in tactical combat might serve to differentiate it from the stronger flyers ('Flying II') of higher tiers. I don't know what the D20 ruleset says about flying but in the old Warhammer FR there were different types of flyers such as 'Landers' (such as Chickens and Wyverns) and 'Swoopers' etc.

Something like-

Flying I- Unit can fly up to five squares and into melee combat in tactical with charge bonus. Flying out results in Attack of Opportunity. Units can jump obstacles in tactical and cross rivers on Campaign map without penalty.

Flying II- Unit is heavy in the air but capable of sustained flight. Can only be hit in melee when counter-attacked. Crosses over obstacles. On campaign map crosses everything.

Or something.
    Last edited by War Troll; 09-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.

PLEASE DON;T USE REAL WORLD FACTS TO ARGUE ABOUT A FANTASY GAME
    it kills catgirls.
    Please
    think of the catgirls. ;.;
    'Everything you wanted to know about Dark Elves that i'm allowed to post' - thread coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by devoncop View Post
    well if you are after historical examples for me to prove my argument involving draconians i will struggle
    lol!!!! :d

Quote Originally Posted by War Troll View Post
    A mix simply because of balance issues.
    There are so many nobs and dials that can be adjusted for units when it comes to game balance, that I wouldn't use that issue as a basis for my decision. If flying units in WoM (not just Draconians, but ALL flying units) are too strong during playtesting, their other stats and abilities will no doubt be adjusted accordingly.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast