View Poll Results: Should the units for the Draconian faction be...

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • All flying (with possible exception of Settlers)

24 50.00%
  • A mix of flying and non-flying units (specifics TBD later)

24 50.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draconians [First Vote: Flying vs. Non-Flying]

Neophyte Sorcerer
    For me its more interesting the fact taht you need to play with the lower level draconian forces that don't have wings and after comes the winged elite. For exmaple in Dragonlace only one or two kinds of draconians can actually fly, the others don't have wings or only can fly short meters (this would be a interesting variation, some mid-level draconians can only fly on the battlefield but not on the world map and the elite could be a shock trops that can be a strategic mobile shock trops).
    Also would be more interesting for the draconian art of war to have a hoplites (if we based on greeks) without wings that stops the enemy and then the elite winged attack the flanks and crush them.
    Obviously all the units should be draconians, no lizardfolk.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    "Spiritual Successor to Master of Magic"

Draconians need to fly.

Here's the thing about game balance that some people are concerned about. The nonflying units will probably be the lower tier units which no one uses outside the first few turns. So by making them nonflying, you take away a lot of this faction's uniqueness without making an effective difference in the late game. To me, that's not worth it.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Idunno. I use cheap units the whole game through normally, specially if they're lizardman and therefor can swim. I don't see 'can first build them in the early game' as 'no difference to the late game' myself.

They're likely to have lots of difference to the late game, because how good they are and how you use them will determine how you end up in the late game, and they'll still be used in the late game because they're cheap and you already have them and they've probably leveled up more then a few times too.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    "Spiritual Successor to Master of Magic"

Draconians need to fly.
    This sums up my opinion on it.

One of the best parts of MoM was how unique many of the races played. Want a fast mobile start? pick lizardmen to swim across oceans. Want the same thing in Myrror? pick Draconians to fly. Want a nigh unbeatable starting force, pick Trolls, (heal during fight, full health at the end)

Each little thing that sets a race apart helps this idea along.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower bloss's Avatar
    In MoM, Draconians had the myrran cost, which made their awesomeness justified. I voted all flying, but it does give them a big advantage, and there should be some cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bloss View Post
    In MoM, Draconians had the myrran cost, which made their awesomeness justified. I voted all flying, but it does give them a big advantage, and there should be some cost.
    I'd say that's a reasonable argument.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Sorcerer
    Cirno, on the last page you took the words out of my mouth (again).
    I voted not all-flying because I hope low-tier units could be the amphibian non-flying guys (yesyes I read the discussion), whereas the high tier units are the elite, real Draconian people, born from noble families but seeing as how it takes a long time to grow a drake-like creature, there's not too many of them around. I like the caste-idea with them and I like the quick, slithery weak units combined with the slow, elegant but very powerful large draconian creatures.

I think you guys are missing the opportunity to add some spice to the Draconians. You could have throw back units. Eggs that hatch with a devolved form of Draconian. Or on the other side a new advance form who's inlaid magic is so powerful it lost it's ability to fly.

I also believe the are several religions that self mutilate. Give up your wings to receive the power of your god. This is a Fantasy world after all.

eh. I'm quite torn.

On one hand, MoM draconians were the ones i was hoping for. On the other, I do really wanna see some reptilian ground units, but just a few special ones.

I guess I vote all the normal or mostly normal draconian race units should fly, and abnormalities or racial kinship units (lizardmen) should sometimes be earthbound.
    Malleus the Magician + Fang the Draconian = OP

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast