Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Battle Board - Feedback

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Kanor, we're still playing around with the number of units you'll be able to field at a time. You can't really tell how the battles will feel yet, because by the time you run into 16 units a side battles you'll have some very powerful spells that are going to change the dynamic. In many cases one side or the other is going to get a decisive edge pretty quick. Either way, we're very aware that battles can't last too long. Like with so many things, you have to strike a good balance.

All that having been said: At this stage we're just testing the mechanics of the board itself. Don't worry though. It won't be long and we'll start really testing unit balance, battle speed, etc, etc, etc.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Next unit button, needed.

Game runs well on fantastic setting, no problems
    Last edited by zdsdead; 09-23-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Abecedarian Mage
    Just tried the offline board for a short while, and I already have some wishes/suggestions:

Edit: copied post to suggestions thread.
    Last edited by mmilleder; 09-23-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Is it intentional that the spellbook stays on the last spell you selected? As in: Turn 1, I cast 'Summon Fire Elemental'. Turn 2, I open my spell book, and it's still on that "page". I have to click 'back' several times to choose, say, 'Charm Person'.

Abecedarian Mage
    Quote Originally Posted by WyldeRhide View Post
    Is it intentional that the spellbook stays on the last spell you selected? As in: Turn 1, I cast 'Summon Fire Elemental'. Turn 2, I open my spell book, and it's still on that "page". I have to click 'back' several times to choose, say, 'Charm Person'.
    I'd call that a feature - even if it wasn't intended.

It's actually pretty annoying to me. I generally don't want to cast the same spell repeatedly.

Turn 1: Counter Magic
    Turn 2: Buff unit
    Turn 3: Cast damage spell
    Turn 4: Cast Healing spell
    etc.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    once you do get to balance, you probably should allow for adjusting the amount of mana available. that way one can test for small early game armies, and to figure how potent spells are overall, or if they tend to just speed up big balanced battles.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeRhide View Post
    i can only hit back once, when i do i am brought to the list of spheres, then i can pick a new one and then pick a spell, how do you get this (being able to hit back several times) to happen?
    Last edited by jamoecw; 09-24-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Neophyte Sorcerer
    First I would like to say I am very happy with large battles. I'm tired of fantasy games that limit the number of units to 12 or less on each side. Please keep them large. Put an auto resolve for those who do not like big battles. Please allow us to move around the map by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. Show movement points and movement range on the map. Others mentioned mouse over info and I agree. A next unit key. Option to adjust movement speed up to instant move. Line of site rules. Crossbow are too effective because they can shoot through friendly units.
    USN Ret.

Thank You for your reply! I'm really looking forward of the developlments! Meanwhile, I test the Battle Board whenever I have time.

A few comments (copied from my post in the bug thread, in case they were in the wrong place):

- No mouse pointer icon to indicate whether the unit is going to move, attack, a spell will be cast, etc in combination with the mouse clicks only reacting to the unit squares on the ground, not with clicking directly on a unit. In a low angle 3D perspective this resulted in moving the unit to stand behind the enemy instead of attacking.

- No way to automatically control your units one by one (going to next unit once the one you are moving at the moment is done) or to see which ones are done for the current turn makes it hard to know when you are done.

- No way of knowing whether a unit will actually reach a map position or enemy during this turn: if you click too far away the unit will just move say halfway then stop.

Generally I think that it looks good but you really need to add some mouse cursor icons to indicate what action will be taken by the unit if you click the map square you are currently pointing at

Also its very hard to know which units are done and which remain to be moved, I had a couple of turns where I wasn't sure whether I had just started the turn or if I was done and should click end turn. In MoM it will always move selection to the next unit and if they are all done your only choice is to end the turn or cast spells, makes it a lot easier.

Not sure how you intend to handle unit's special abilities, but populating the ring where unit panel, spell book, cancel selection etc are located with icons (for each ability) for the selected units abilities would feel natural.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kid View Post
    Please allow us to move around the map by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen.
    Agreed! There was something a bit off with using the middle mouse button to move the camera but I didn't realize what I wanted was of course the standard "move by putting mouse cursor at the edge of screen" until you just wrote it

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast