Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Battle Board – Bug Report

Abecedarian Mage
    I played a dragon against some goblins.
    The dragon - a 2x2 creature - took damage from the AI fireball in each of its squares. That's a very unorthodox reading of the D20 rules

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    mmilleder, we have decided to go that way because of the gameplay issues.
    This also seems to be more logical.
    If you are a larger beeing then the Fireball blast reaches larger surface of your body.

Abecedarian Mage
    Quote Originally Posted by doomtrader View Post
    mmilleder, we have decided to go that way because of the gameplay issues.
    This also seems to be more logical.
    If you are a larger beeing then the Fireball blast reaches larger surface of your body.
    That means you're going away from the balance baked into the D20 rules. You cited that balance as the reason to use D20 in the first place, so are you sure it's a good idea to do so?

Oh, and the D20 fireball has other strange properties besides hitting all creatures for the same damage regardless of size - its not an explosion (has no pressure), it just flows to fill its volume with a magical fire attack. It also doesn't use up any oxygen.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

I guess the fact that the dragon has no breath weapon and no fire immunity is caused by the alpha status of the board.

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    yeah, the unit's abilities are still WIP.

This solution is tested, we will see how does it affects balance and playability over straight keeping the ruleset.

And don't be alarmed by any of our experiments. The order of importance here is: Momlike -> D20 Inspired -> Unique Mechanics.

We have to have room to test and tinker though. That's how progress is made. You may notice a number of little changes here and there, but at the end of the day we're just tinkering. We know that D20 works. We just like to try new things as well
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thanks for the bug reports. I'll update the list.

zdsdead, you are right, lol.

GeneralGonzo, any chance of getting that one to repeat? Do you remember what the unit lineup was you had?

If anyone else gets the "flickering/blinking" issue please let us know.
    As far as I remember I had for my own troops:
    1 Dragon, 2 Priests, 1 Pikemen, 1 Swordsmen, 3 Goblin Archer - the archers stood behind the dragon if that helps before they disappeared....

enemy stacks conssits only of orcish units, about 12 Stacks

Arcane Candidate
    Here are some issues/bugs that I've encountered, along with some more general feedback.

Movement

I don't really understand how movement points are calculated and spent, but I've noticed that in my first turn units start with e.g. 6000 points, but in the second turn they start with 3000 points. Generally, I haven't been able to move any units past the half of the battlefield in the first two turns, to the point I wondered if I could get there at all.
    I also don't understand how pathing works; my dragon wouldn't move two squares to attack an archer, but would move three squares to attack a warrior. While I don't think anything was blocking its path, I can't be sure because I can't see which squares exactly it occupies (I suggest implementing something like the indicators in HoMM5, so it is immediately visible which squares are occupied and how far a unit can go in which direction).

Interface
    At some points the interface would simply get stuck. Spells wouldn't fire; the first few times I tried Fireball, it just wouldn't work, to the point I thought it wasn't implemented. (It did work in my third combat, and yes, I did have enough mana each time.) My last combat also got stuck at the end of my third turn - which wouldn't end. I cannot move any units (and there is no simple way of switching between units; I do hope something along the lines of MoM's Next button is implemented, to switch between units that can still act), and the hourglass button, although visibly clicked, does not end the turn (I also could not cast any spells that turn even with 140 mana; the button simply didn't get activated at all).

Messages and Language
    I noticed that successful saves against spells are reported as Goblin shaman is saved!
    Being saved is something that happens to you if someone pulls you out of the water when you're drowning, or if you accept Jesus as your personal savior, or whatever. In d20, you save versus (or against) a spell, an element, or whatever. So I'd suggest a message along the lines of Goblin shaman saves against Fireball/fire/whatever; the active voice is more appropriate than the passive, and I think a relevantly detailed message would be better than the current solution.
    Also, I'd like to see at least an option to turn on the display of individual rolls; it always irked me in MoM that I just couldn't calculate what my chances were of an attack succeeding.

Fire Out of Nowhere
    In the lower left corner of the battlefield there is something that looks like a dragon's breath weapon. There is nothing there really, but at some moments it would shoot towards the center of the row it is in just like a dragon's breath. It happened at least some of the times my dragons attacked (even if they were on the other end of the battlefield) and, I think, when the enemy attacked. I can't be certain because I didn't have that corner displayed on my screen at all times, but hey.
    Last edited by Lastan; 09-24-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Lastan, I couldn't replicate the 3000 movement points bug. Every time I hit Turn I got 6000 points. Could you try to replicate it?

Is anyone else getting the breath weapon in the corner? Does anyone know how to replicate that?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Using the offline version:

<Spells/Spellbook Malfunction>
    Spells cannot always be cast on first turn of combat. I have tested this many times and it occurs after a battle that you cast a spell.
    For example, when I load the program, choose First Map, Random unit generation – I can cast a spell. I choose fireball, and cast it.
    I end the battle by going out to the main menu, and select the same options. I can no longer cast a spell.
    When I close the application, I am able to cast again, until the next time I play a battle and cast a spell.
    Note, I can cast a spell in the next battle if I open the spell book and choose Fireball, but not cast it. I can also cast in the next battle if I go back into the spellbook and “back” out to the “main spell casting menu”; so it seems it has to do with the auto selection of the last page function of the spellbook.

<Movement>
    1) If I end a turn before all my units (or any of them) have moved/attacked, I can move/attack during the opponents turn with those units. This does use my “movement/attack points” for my next turn, so I am not getting extra actions, however I can move a unit away from where it could be hit if I move it before the other unit has selected it. If not, it gets damaged and if still alive continues to move to the spot I selected.
    Terrain cost (it seems somewhat implemented??), or some other cost, makes it so that I cannot end a turn. I have on several occasions had a swordsmen unit with 172 movement points remaining (Sometimes it is 758). I can’t move the unit, it cannot attack (either too far from an opponent unit or not enough points to attack). This seems to effect the control buttons (bottom right circular control panel). They seem to stop displaying the action that they are supposed to perform when I hover my mouse and “End Turn” will not End Turn. “Unit Panel” still displays unit information, “Cancel Selection” still cancels the selection, and the “Menu” button still brings up the Menu. I just can’t end the turn to continue combat.

2) I experienced the cowardly units running off into the hills, haven’t narrowed down why/exactly when that occurs.

3) Spells/Unit action occurs simultaneously, i.e. swordsmen will move to where I cast Fireball.

Arcane Candidate
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Lastan, I couldn't replicate the 3000 movement points bug. Every time I hit Turn I got 6000 points. Could you try to replicate it?

Is anyone else getting the breath weapon in the corner? Does anyone know how to replicate that?
    Here, just replicated it. Hit the hourglass, the enemy casts a spell damaging all units (cold damage) and does nothing else (my army is four each of Dragons, Reapers, Fire and Water Elementals). I do not get a player turn start notification afterwards, but my elementals and reapers get 3000 movement points, while dragons get 375 each.

Incidentally, this means I cannot move the dragons at all in the second turn; I guess they spend 1000 per square, 1400 or thereabouts for diagonal squares (are you using sqrt(2) or some other method?).

Apparently one Water Elemental got more movement points; after checking five or so elementals, I stopped, but after moving that one two diagonal squares, it had 3172 movement points left; moving it further confirmed my hypothesis about 1000 points for movement to a bordering square. Sorry if this seems a bit confused, but I'm typing it as I'm testing. It's the only way to make sure the sequence of events is preserved.

I can't replicate and screenshot the breath weapon now because at the end of this second turn, while the enemy units also have 3000 movement points each, ending the second turn does not start their turn, so I must quit. Will try again. (Edit: There was also no spellcasting in this round. The spellbook remained disabled.)
    If I manage to capture the breath weapon, I'd prefer to send it to an e-mail address; it could be largish (I play at 19201200).

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Larry4444 View Post
    3) Spells/Unit action occurs simultaneously, i.e. swordsmen will move to where I cast Fireball.
    Apparently this happens if you cast a spell while a unit is selected. Selected units also move if a click is passed through a menu.
    Opening a menu should suspend all game functions; casting a spell should not pass commands to units.
    I saw MoM's contextual cursors mentioned in one of the discussions here; they could be implemented as a solution to problems such as these. Not only do they show the player exactly what the action will be; they can implement certain behaviors on their own (such as "do not move unit").

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast