Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Battle Board – Controls

Alpha Battle Board – Controls

If you don't like the way one (or more) of the controls work this is the place to discuss it. Before you dive in give the requested features list a read. That's where I'm placing control change requests.

Battle Board Suggested Features

Keep in mind that most (if not all) of the keyboard controls will be remappable. What we're trying to define is what the “Default Controls” are. We want the interface to be as intuitive as possible from the very beginning.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Acolyte
    Could double-clicking with the LMB also show the unit info, please?

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    actually the RMB shows the info unit

At the moment you can right click the unit to get the info. Any one else support the "double left click" option?

Thanks for the feedback! It's going to take a bit of chatter to work out just how we want the controls to work

Acolyte
    I did notice that RMB shows the unit info. But before I noticed that control I double-clicked out of habit expecting the unit info panel to come up (because Windows and programs have taught my subconcious that double click = bring up detailed info).

We want to know what you do subconsciously

That may be what most people do. If it is that's what we want to be the "default".

I actually right clicked for the info on units, that was my first instinct from playing pc games for years. Right click for info, left click for actions. Looking good by the way. Cant wait for sound effects
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Acolyte
    In that case I'll explain why my subconscious did not expect RMB to bring up unit info at all. To me RMB = bring up context menu. WoM may take advantage of that at some point but on the battlefield it did not make sense (to my subconscious) because there are so few options.

Double-click LMB = open folder so my subconscious expected it to 'open the unit' (i.e. open the unit detailed information). On top of that games often use double click as a shortcut for 'select object, open object'. For example double clicking a city would open the city information and allow you to build, train etc.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I just realised what double-click meant: do the action most important to the thing you are double-clicking.

In Windows double clicking folders opens them.
    In RTS, after selecting one of your units, double clicking land moves the unit there or double clicking enemies makes your units attacks them.
    On the unit selecting screen double clicking changes the player/enemy forces list.

Double clicking a unit should open its info panel.
    Last edited by dmos01; 09-23-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmos01 View Post
    In that case I'll explain why my subconscious did not expect RMB to bring up unit info at all. To me RMB = bring up context menu. WoM may take advantage of that at some point but on the battlefield it did not make sense (to my subconscious) because there are so few options.

Double-click LMB = open folder so my subconscious expected it to 'open the unit' (i.e. open the unit detailed information). On top of that games often use double click as a shortcut for 'select object, open object'. For example double clicking a city would open the city information and allow you to build, train etc.

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I just realised what double-click meant: do the action most important to the thing you are double-clicking.

In Windows double clicking folders opens them.
    In RTS, after selecting one of your units, double clicking land moves the unit there or double clicking enemies makes your units attacks them.
    On the unit selecting screen double clicking changes the player/enemy forces list.

Double clicking a unit should open its info panel.
    actually most double clicking in rts's is or selecting all of a group. some have you select and give orders with the same button, others have you select with one and give orders with another, that way when things get clustered you can still give orders, and you can select the enemy so as to get info on them quicker. the advantage for same button for both is that you can have the right click do something they feel is important, like deselect to prevent unwanted orders. turn based strategy tends to be a bit more varied though, so whatever works.

Right clicking has always brought up a menu or info screen in almost everything I've played. Double clicking the LMB usually moves a unit or selects all units like jamoecw said.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast