Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alpha Battle Board – Controls

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I'd like to be able to pan the camera around by moving the mouse to the edges of the screen. I would prefer to not have to use the keyboard at all if possible and I don't have a middle mouse button on my laptop keyboard.
    This could be additionally to the WASD or arrow movement, but believe me, its much more comfortable to move the battlefield with keyboard while doing the rest with the mouse !

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
    I'd like to be able to pan the camera around by moving the mouse to the edges of the screen. I would prefer to not have to use the keyboard at all if possible and I don't have a middle mouse button on my laptop keyboard.
    i use a ball mouse and don't have a mouse wheel, though i do have an extra button. a poor trade off sense everything wants a mouse wheel it seems, sometimes being unconfigurably so. i have entertained the idea of getting a traditional mouse, but i just like the track ball for a number of reasons.

Abecedarian Mage
    Left click or double left click for action:

As long as the battle board fits (mostly) on the screen, single click with a contextual cursor is better than double click.

There should be a contextual display of additional info about the effect of the click as well:

If the action is attack, there should be a display of the expected result of the attack + counter attack.

If the action is move, there should be a slight highlight of the squares reachable, and a brighter highlight of the path the unit will take. I don't think there is a need to support multi-turn movement on the battle board, that just would be necessary on the world map.

Such a highlight is already available when casting a spell, but in that case I'd like a prediction of the effect just like with the attack (expected kills with the fireball, likelihood to succeed with a charm spell).

If there is any plan or idea to add "dungeon crawling" (large battle boards), I'd ask for first click to plan, second click to execute when giving orders to units, and I'd ask for multi-turn actions including "move to that unit" (to be used for following).

In that case I'd suggest it even for the "small" board to have only one set of interface mechanics.

We have the new version (4.44) up.

Web Version

Stand Alone Version
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGonzo View Post
    its much more comfortable to move the battlefield with keyboard while doing the rest with the mouse !
    Not only that.
    Anyone already suggested shortcuts for actions? Say "M" for move action, "A" for attack, "I" for unit info, "S" for spellbook etc.?
    There are still keyboard users who prefer it over the mouse, and tbh I'm one of them

I vote for double clicking left mouse button. If there was a more important function that needed a shortcut I might go for that, but as it stands unit info is a good fit. It's all personal preference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123