Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Battle Board – Suggested Features

Alpha Battle Board – Suggested Features

So, you want a new GUI element or want to move an existing GUI element? You want an additional tooltip or an indicator telling you something at a glance? Well, this is the place to talk about it. Before you do start talking please look over the list of currently suggested features. You can find the list here:

Battle Board Suggested Features

We're listing, so start talking
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

It needs to show what unit I have selected. Like a small unit card in the left corner or just the name. I might be able to tell all the units apart in time (but they're really tiny (which isn't always a bad thing)), but I need something to help me see what unit I have selected at a glance in the mean time.

Good suggestion!
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    it would be nice to place units before battle, that way i could put some units behind others, or spread them out to minimize damage done via spells (a single spell will wipe out a whole army of orcs).

also you should scale back the number of attacks crossbowmen get to one, as they are man's most powerful unit currently, and both D20 and MoM only allowed one attack a round for crossbows.

the numbers for movement seems to be quite high, not sure what they are supposed to represent (inches maybe?).

i noticed cold damage is represented as blue numbers, and both fire and physical are red, maybe have fire be orange?

perhaps use a different icon for how many figures are in the unit (other than the same as HP).
    Last edited by jamoecw; 09-23-2013 at 02:18 AM.

it would be nice to place units before battle, that way i could put some units behind others, or spread them out to minimize damage done via spells (a single spell will wipe out a whole army of orcs).
    This is a very time intensive thing. It's something I'd want to be optional since it massively slows down the game. In multi-player, I'd just quit if someone was taking ten minutes to set up their units in just the perfect way.

also you should scale back the number of attacks crossbowmen get to one, as they are man's most powerful unit currently, and both D20 and MoM only allowed one attack a round for crossbows.

the numbers for movement seems to be quite high, not sure what they are supposed to represent (inches maybe?).
    This stage of testing is for trying out mechanics not for balancing the units.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    This is a very time intensive thing. It's something I'd want to be optional since it massively slows down the game. In multi-player, I'd just quit if someone was taking ten minutes to set up their units in just the perfect way.
    given that you could have it remember how you were set up last time means that you might only have to do more than click a button if you want things to go fast, it would be pretty annoying to have your expendable units in front of those you need to protect, or to know that only using hardy units mattered as your army would get smashed on the first turn due to magic.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    jamoecw +1

I am sure the AI will be ok but the frustration of seeing even occasionally missile troops or healers ridden down whilst placed in front of heavy infantry would be immense.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Apprentice
    I recommend having a movements points indicator displayed underneath all of your units so you don't have to scroll though them all to see which ones have moves left.

Also I'd definitely recommend having adjustable animation speed.. as beautiful as the graphics are etc. realistically in a long game you'll want things to move a bit faster..

Quote Originally Posted by jamoecw View Post
    given that you could have it remember how you were set up last time means that you might only have to do more than click a button if you want things to go fast, it would be pretty annoying to have your expendable units in front of those you need to protect, or to know that only using hardy units mattered as your army would get smashed on the first turn due to magic.
    Every time you have one unit die or change the make up of the stack by even one unit, you would have to start over.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Pre setup, of units is a must as already mentioned for the above reasons (very weak vulnerable units at the front, etc).

Some game systems have got round this by having something like a "Tactics" skill. Which if you have it allows you to set up your forces for battle.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast