Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Battle Board – Suggested Features

Some game systems have got round this by having something like a "Tactics" skill. Which if you have it allows you to set up your forces for battle.
    That's kinda cool. It would make an interesting discipline people could choose when making their sorcerer lord.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Couldn't most of the concern be allayed by using a smarter algorithm that places infantry in front, ranged in the rear, and calvary on the sides? (Or whatever the "best" situation is?)

I agree it'd be a neat option to let you set up your units in a specific way, but it seems like it'd take an awful long time considering you'd have to do it for each stack.

Also, if the stacks stay at 16, this becomes even more of a concern.

About the Dragon unit: it Looks awesome but makes loughable damage ... is it intended like that ?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralGonzo View Post
    About the Dragon unit: it Looks awesome but makes loughable damage ... is it intended like that ?
    At this stage, we're just testing the mechanics. We're not testing unit powers or balance.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Here are a few suggestions :

1. Display remaining movement points, at minimum in the "info box", or like health bars (configurable).

2. Offer a mode to have health/mana/mp bars displayed with a "key over" (like, if you press alt or control, it displays the hp/mana/movement bars of all units).

3. Have a visual things to make units that have exhausted their action points easy to spot.

4. Have a "next unit" button very visible.

5. It would be nice for new players (maybe only in easy mode ?) to have a mouse-over that displays information about an attack, like "Attack fire elemental with your swordsman, for 5-10 damages" or something like that.

This probably won't be very popular, but I'd like to see smaller army size. The battle board (and 16-unit armies) is so large that every battle is going to take forever. MoM's combat allowed for 8(9?) units/stack. Upping that to 16 makes battles far more cumbersome. Also it requires more money/food to support such large armies. Are we realistically going to maintain 10+ stacks of 16 units each?

Also, the battle board is probably overkill for smaller stacks (say 4-6 units). Maybe there's an intent to resize the battleboard based on the # of units in the 2 stacks?
    Last edited by WyldeRhide; 09-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeRhide View Post
    This probably won't be very popular, but I'd like to see smaller army size. The battle board (and 16-unit armies) is so large that every battle is going to take forever. MoM's combat allowed for 8(9?) units/stack. Upping that to 16 makes battles far more cumbersome. Also it requires more money/food to support such large armies. Are we realistically going to maintain 10+ stacks of 16 units each?

Also, the battle board is probably overkill for smaller stacks (say 4-6 units). Maybe there's an intent to resize the battleboard based on the # of units in the 2 stacks?
    I've given them the exact same feedback. MoM allowed 9 units in a stack. The max I'd want to see is 12. 16 feels like way too much, and I really love the idea that the battleboard size might change based on the number of units. I don't know if that's practical, but it's brillaint IMO. Thankfully, right now, we're just testing mechanics. 16 units on a side really stresses the programing, and that's what you want during alpha testing. Hopefully, once we get into Beta and definately into the live version, the max number of units in a stack will be reduced.

I personally like the number of units as is, and would not like a reduction
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

As Troy pointed out, that's probably a discussion we should have in a different thread (at a different time). But, what came out of it was an actual battle-board suggestion: Variable size battleboards depending on stack sizes.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by WyldeRhide View Post
    Are we realistically going to maintain 10+ stacks of 16 units each?
    I never had 10+ full stacks in MoM. At most I usually had 2 main strike stacks (with 2-4 heroes each, and powerful units to complete if required), and like 2-4 stacks of flyers for the scouting/cleaning, usually with 2-4 units in each.

And didn't leave more than 2-3 units per city for defense, unless a city was directly threatened, but then that was reusing on the stacks of above.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast