Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha Battle Board – Suggested Features

The number of units on the field is meat for another thread. Still, I'll say this: We're testing mechanics. Putting more on the board than we need is a good thing at this stage
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Okay, I finally got a few minutes to sit down with the newer version of the battle board. Love the new camera control scheme.

I've got a few comments, but the only one that belongs in this thread is: It needs information-plates for the selected unit and target. MoM did this at the bottom-middle and top-right, respectively (see below).

I consistently lost track of who I had selected, didn't know what their abilities were, and wasn't sure who the game thought I was trying to target.

Edit: It looks like it's been reported in the Suggested Features->Information section. I'll be more specific and suggest that when something is moused-over, the information is in a static location (as MoM did it), and that the cursor be context-sensitive.
    Last edited by WyldeRhide; 09-23-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Abecedarian Mage
    Copied over from the feedback thread, didn't notice this one at first.

Just tried the offline board for a short while, and I already have some wishes/suggestions:

* A movement range highlight for the selected unit.
    * An indicator which units have movement/action points left(Torin already asked for it as well)
    * Scroll the view with the arrow keys (I think I'm used to that from Elemental)
    * Data display of the selected unit and the one under the mouse pointer (was in MoM)
    * In the spell book, put the icon of the selected spell circle in the middle (that's more useful currently with all the empty circles, but I think it would be a nice touch in all cases
    * Mousewheel scroll in the unit selection list . It's not important exactly here, but points to a general wish (see "Controls" below).
    * When I have one of my units selected and am hovering over an enemy unit, show the expected effect of an attack (and/or some indication if the distance is too large).
    * I'd strongly prefer Escape to close popup windows, not to call up the options dialog.
    * Each button should have a label that pops up after hovering the mouse over it for a short while, much like the alt text for the icons in the comment box toolbar. It already works nicely for the circles and spells, but it should be everywhere.

On "Controls":
    * Generally, make sure that anything that resembles a Windows control works like that Windows control - so I'd actually like not only like mousewheel scrolling, but also selection of the first entry that matches a few letters I type (try it in the list/detail mode of Explorer). This may well be helpful in an army/city list in the full game.
    * Also, every dialog (where applicable) should have an OK/continue and a Cancel button, triggered by Return/Enter and Escape respectively (and the default cancel action should be to just close the dialog, as I've already asked above). Doing different goes against my - and I assume many others' - motor memory.
    * Going further, all buttons should have keyboard shortcuts, to be displayed when pressing ALT. Make those configurable, your translators will thank you. Also allow for a full label with an underlined letter for the shortcut.
    * If you want to be thorough, there should be a highlight to show which single control has focus, and that highlight should be movable by TAB. If the highlight is on a button, Return should trigger that button, not the designated OK button. Initial focus should be on the first input field or, if none, on the designated OK button.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Another one: You may want to turn down the graphics if the user alt-tabs out or minimizes the window - this will reduce the noise from the fan on the graphics card .
    I'd also like the option to fully suspend the game when it loses focus - as it's turn based, there should be nothing that needs to continue running in the background unless the idle animations are desired.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldeRhide View Post
    Okay, I finally got a few minutes to sit down with the newer version of the battle board. Love the new camera control scheme.

I've got a few comments, but the only one that belongs in this thread is: It needs information-plates for the selected unit and target. MoM did this at the bottom-middle and top-right, respectively (see below).

I consistently lost track of who I had selected, didn't know what their abilities were, and wasn't sure who the game thought I was trying to target.

Edit: It looks like it's been reported in the Suggested Features->Information section. I'll be more specific and suggest that when something is moused-over, the information is in a static location (as MoM did it), and that the cursor be context-sensitive.
    This is precisely the type of thing I'd like to see if at all possible. Consider me +1'ing WyldeRhide all the way.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Suicidal Angel Administrator doomtrader's Avatar
    I think this is something we might be able to do

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    perhaps right clicking should decrease the number in the selection screen, sort of an anti left click.

Good feedback. Keep it coming
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Neophyte Sorcerer
    1) The camera focuses on the 5th by 5th square in the lower right corner in the isometric view(the movable one.) That is a great spot to start the combat at, though it would be better if we could zoom/pan around the current selection or mouse hover.

2) I second/third/fifth the need for a MoM like hover information box on selection of unit, dynamic floating mouse cursor for actions of selected unit, etc.

3) Misses and Saves are being displayed before full animation of attack, such as arrows reaching to the unit. I’m sure this is partly a timing thing and here for informational purposes at this point; I assume that a “save” will not be displayed during normal game played(except through the combat log, or by having an option to display it in the UI?).

4) I'd prefer to have the sources of damage listed in the combat log. “Crossbowmen (5,15) received 16 Fire Damage.” I’d prefer it to say “Crossbowmen (5,15) received 16 Fire Damage from Merlin’s Fireball” “Pikeman (2,10) received 5 damage from Shaman (2,11)” etc… More polish than real function.

5) Make it easier to see movement of selected units. A simple “Orange” highlight of the squares it can move to would be “ideal” in my book; coupled with RED colored tiles for damage (such as the target area for Fireball), etc... Of course the colors may need to be dynamic for different terrain/planes. Again, more polish than true function of the board...so not a big priority at the moment.

6) I know it is intended and may be necessary for gameplay for “Fireball” and other such spells/attacks to effect multiple squares and for units (such as dragons and catapults) to occupy multiple squares. However, it would be better if the numbers displayed weren’t square by square in that kind of instance. Rather, a bit of math goes on behind the scenes to sum the damage and display it above the unit.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    It could be nice to have a "group selection" function, allowing to select several units and move them in formation (keeping their relative position). It exists in AoW, and it's useful especially at the beginning of battle, when like often you just want to make all your melee units go forward.

Acolyte
    In version 4.22 when a unit moves somewhere within light yellow squares they disappear. Could that be changed to being updated instead (based on the movement points they have left)?

When I move a unit to a spot so they still have movement points left I have accidentally clicked elsewhere in their movement range causing them to move to that square even though no squares were highlighted showing me I could move there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast