Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Infuse Sun

Infuse Sun

Infuse Sun
    Circles: Fire, ?
    Description: While active turns plains to deserts, swamps to plains, and jungles to forests.

This is one of those out-there-super-powerul-world-changing spells. We do have to keep in mind that jungles are “unconfirmed” at the moment. Either way, this thing could totally shift the balance of power in a game. Top tier Fire only maybe...

Thoughts?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I'm not sure of its usefulness. When I saw the plains -> deserts I immediately thought it was a starvation spell, but then swamps -> plains and jungles -> forests are good things.

The effect circle would be wherever Transmutation is, so Augmentation?

yeah,while i like the theme of the spell ,I do question its usefulness as well .
    I know that races will have native terrain and such but i dont like a top tier spell to only being useful for 1 or 2 races.
    I would prefer those effects to be side effects of the spell only,and giving it a very powerful main effect in addition.

Mage’s Assistant
    Well, it could be less of a global, and more of a targeted version. An upkeep spell, so while you pay for it: Each game turn you choose to pinpoint the effect(like a magnifying glass) over a 3x3 area, which changes according to the description. This way, you'll have good control over what you want to do with it. You can turn possibly inhospitable land to livable, or turn the enemy's lush plains into deserts. I suppose you could also use the "magnifying glass" effect so that it targets only 1x1, but instead of changing terrain, it may deal damage to a targeted city or stack of units. This way, even if you're fighting, say, undead(to whom the terraforming doesn't matter), you could still use the power of the sun to burn their units to a crisp.

I think it could be very devastating as you can't move cities. You're going to build cities on optimal terrain. So, swamps becoming plains would be great if you were High Men and hadn't built cities in the swamp. If you were lisardmen (I know they're not in yet, just run with me here), however, and all your lovely swamps became plains that wouldn't be as good.

Of course, I admit some races would be more effected by it than others, so it may be a better candidate for a Strategic Level spell rather than global.

Another fix would be to modify the idea in some way to make it change all terrains including hills and mountains. Of course, this would probably make the spell goofy and we don't want that, lol.

Another terrain change you could try is changing all coastal tiles to plains/desert.

That would be a wild addition

Having taken more time to consider it I think we probably should make this a Strategic Spell. It will need a new name and description though.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar

Parch Terrain

Focus the energies of the Sun to alter terrain 1 step towards arid.
    Use a mana slider to alter cost/area of the spell.
    1x1
    3x3
    5x5

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    That would be a wild addition

Having taken more time to consider it I think we probably should make this a Strategic Spell. It will need a new name and description though.
    Would making it a Strategic spell make the effect irreversible? If so, you need to create a life/earth/water + augmentation/protection spell that does the opposite.

I'm not thrilled with the name (it doesn't really describe what the spell does, I'd originally thought it sounded like an item enchantment).

My general lean is "Noun if the spell continues until dispelled/cancelled. Verb if spell effect is instant (not maintained)."

If it's an on-going spell that can be disjuncted:
    "Scorching Sunrays" or "Arid Earth"

If it's a single-cast (like change-terrain was):
    "Wither Terrain" or "Parch Terrain"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast