Thread: Nature of Spell Spheres

Battlemage

Nature of Spell Spheres

I'm wondering how people are viewing the different spell spheres. I'm mostly talking of the elemental spheres but also the effect spheres. Basically I'm wondering what people see as the role of each sphere?

For example for me nature elemental spheres work as follows:

Air
    Works with physical elements related to wind, lightning, and climateWorks with conceptual elements of freedom, speed, agility, archery, range, time, sight
    Damage comes in high fire and forget spikes (lightning bolt, lightning surge, call lightning)
    Very little or small AoEs (see above)
    Control/debuff is blinds, stuns, slows, anti air, anti range
    Buffs are speed, invisibility, flight, range

For me base air spell list would look something like this:
    Buff/debuff: haste, slow, downdraft, guiding winds, guardian wind, flight, invisibility, true sight
    Damage/control: call lightning, lightning surge, tornado, stasis, static discharge
    Overland/global: convert wastes, far sight, flying fortress, serene skies, wall of air, wind mastery, time stop

---------------

Earth
    Works with physical elements related to ground, soil, stone, and terrain in generalWorks with conceptual elements of stability, resilience, and strength
    Damage is low and comes with control effects/debuffs that change the battlefield
    Many large AoEs and battlefield effects
    Control/debuff is roots, slows, reduced damage and petrification
    Buffs are resistance, damage reduction, improved recovery and strength

For me base earth spell list would look something like this:
    Buff/debuff: earth to mud, gravity, giant strength, pathfinding, regenerate, resist elements, stoneskin, warp weapon
    Damage/control: acid storm, earthburst, entangle, fissure, petrify
    Overland/global: change terrain, earth gate, enchant roads, herb mastery, move fortress, nature's cure, sandstorm, wall of stone

---------------

Fire
    Works with physical elements related to flames and heatWorks with conceptual elements of chaos, passion and destruction
    Damage comes in both high damage bursts but also in persistent dots
    Many large AoEs
    Control/debuff is hypnotism, uncontrolled rage and fire fields
    Buffs are fire enchantments, fury

For me base fire spell list would look something like this:
    Buff/debuff: chaos channels, flame weapon, frenzy, searing aura, warp creature
    Damage/control: cloud of embers, disintegrate, fireball, flame strike, immolation, lava font, hypnotic flames
    Overland/global: armageddon, fire storm, infuse sun, meteor storm, raise volcano, riot, wall of fire

---------------

Water
    Works with physical elements related to water such as mist and iceWorks with conceptual elements of change, mind and purification
    Damage is low DoTs that come with control effects/debuffs that change the battlefield
    Many large AoEs and battlefield effects
    Control/debuff is chill, resistance debuff, defense debuff, control of enemy units
    Buffs are phantasms, water walking and mist/fog based

For me base water spell list would look something like this:
    Buff/debuff: blur, command, luck, water form, water walking, vertigo
    Damage/control: arctic chill, cometfall, flash freeze, liquefy, poison cloud
    Overland/global: bountiful waters, cleansing rain, dominate city, great flood, ice storm, obscuring mists, shape waters

Plus of course including AOE versions and summons for all

Caster of the Inner Tower

Battlemage
    I have checked the official ones but I'm more interested in what people themselves think. Especially if some aspects fall outside already defined spheres. I myself have trouble for example placing some terraform spells. Actually not as much element wise but effect wise. Similarly biomancy as a sphere gives me a bit headache.

Air and water give me most trouble but so do some other elements.

For example is fog a water effect or air effect? I'd lean towards water.

How about blizzard/snowstorm or cold snap? Would snow in this instance be more air related? There are definitely strong winds involved in storms. Cold snap is mostly just cold air.

Is acid earth or water? Does water cover all liquids or just water in all its forms?

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Beregar, I know you're a newcomer to the discussion... The wiki reflects a previous discussion we had about what the Circles should encompass. Keep in mind that it's not set in stone, yet. However, I think Aaron will be reluctant to change things without a well thought out argument.

So, if you think some things should change, put forth your argument. If it's cohesive you'll probably find support from other backers.

For the borderline cases you have in your post, I think Aaron's answer has been "Whichever fits the lore better." I think most of the time acid has gone with Earth so far.

Battlemage
    I'm not actually looking to replace anything as it's a good list. More like adding or clarifying (mostly for myself)... hmm meh. Forget it. I guess I'll do more research in old threads even if I find it a bit time consuming. I think I'll use the wiki as guiding principle and if something conflicts I can try to search for older discussions for the underlying principle or it can be discussed in individual spell threads.