Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draconians [Discussion: Units]

Blacktangs is cool.

Or maybe - fitting to their equipment - Gladiators?

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    +1 Founders
    +1 Doom Drakes as Top level units
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Abecedarian Mage
    [I'd make one post for each of the units if the forum wasn't so dumb - it appends the next post to the previous if no post came in between :-( ]
    Please only quote the units you want to discuss.

Draconians should have better than average magic resistance (from their arcane leanings).

Dive Attackers (middle tier)
    I'd like to see some kind of dive attack as replacement for the bow - so divers (?) instead of bowmen.

This attack should have some kind of bonus - first strike, penalty on counterattack/no retaliation at all, extra damage come to mind. No breath attack when diving looks like a nice drawback.

Personally I think no breath attack, +100% damage (so much to compensate for no breath), and -2 to counterattack look right from a simulation point of view.

I'd additionally place the attacker on the other side of the defender afterwards. If there is no free space on the other side (in a direct line or one square left/right), the dive attack isn't available. The fact that this increases their mobility is deliberate - don't feel safe behind you infantry line with flyers around.

Doom Drakes
    (high tier)
    I agree with all others that Doom Drakes should return, and I think they should be a bit stronger than in MoM, where they felt more like tier 2.5 that 3 to me. For balance they should be available later.

Spearmen/Scouts (low tier)
    If extra upkeep outside cities is chosen for balancing, spearmen should be called scouts and exempt from it.

Elementalists (middle tier)
    [later] I guess I made them overpowered - but that's fixable with the mana range.
    In principle there should be one per element, but that would be too many units.
    All elementalists should have their element as a breath weapon.
    All Elementalists should have worse than normal armor class (not as used to combat, thinner skin).
    All Elementalists should resist their own element strongly, while being vulnerable to the opposite element.
    All Elementalists should have 60-150 magic points (green-elite). This allows the 1 medium spell at the beginning, and the top spell when elite.
    In order of preference I'd like to see

Fire Elementalists

The artillery. They replace the Magicians.
    Fire Elementalists have a double-strength fire breath, making them some of the most dangerous mages to melee.
    The MP range allows 1 fireball at recruitment, and flame strike at elite.

Air Elementalists

These "replace" the shamans.
    Air is just too thematic for Draconians to leave out.
    Air elementalists are immune to being grounded.
    I see them breathing lightning.

Water Elementalists

Water Elementalists have an automatic frost shield dealing half their breath weapon damage to melee attackers.
    I see them breathing ice.
    I'd leave them out / for some DLC.

Earth Elementalists

Earth Elementalists have 10 points of stoneskin at the start of the battle.
    If there is a land/take off mechanic, I'd like to give them an alternate bonus: When an Earth Elementalists is on the ground, he can summon a small earth elemental for no (MP) cost once per battle.I see them breathing razor-sharp stone shards.
    I'd leave them out / for some DLC.
    - or -

Earth Elementalists (low tier)
    Given that earth is quite anti-thematic for Draconians, Earth Elementalists are by far the weakest of the bunch.
    These are the Engineers, so they get to build roads and to clean up corruption.
    They still get the shards breath (a different kind of damage, but not more than the others' fire breath).
    They only get 10-60 Mana (so: do I use them for Engineering, or do I try to get them experienced enough to use as casters?).
    They still get stoneskin at the start of battle, but only 5 points.

I'd leave unchanged settlers, swordsmen, halberdiers and maybe engineers.

I'm unsure about the air ship:
    It's cool for being fast (move 4) and having a decent amount of ammo, but it doesn't feel very thematic.
    I think Draconians should just fly over the walls in a siege instead of destroying those walls.

If the Elementalists above are deemed to strong, I could see a role for a high end mage unit that really gets access to the strongest spells:
    Master of the Elements (high tier)
    This replaces the Air Ship.
    The MoE gets a double strength fire breath
    The MoE gets access to all elemental circles.
    The MoE definitely gets enough mana to cast the high-end spells (only one per battle; 150MP currently) at elite (or maybe 1 level below).

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnReeve View Post
    Mmm. Not a fan of that idea. Doom Drakes should be the top unit.
    I'm not a fan of a pet being the top-most unit. We're talking Draconians here. RL reptiles grow until they die. The elder Draconians could be quite large.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    In the original MoM, Doom Drakes were not pets, but cavalry units, mounted by draconians. I don't have any objection to the highest tier being a mounted unit. But I agree with ampoliros that it's a bit odd if the most powerful units is just a "pet" (ie, not mounted by draconians).

You could have Draconian champions riding the Doom Drakes...that way most of us should be pleased.
    I would like to have a really,really powerful unit as top tier for draconians...stronger than the doom drakes of MoM.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardagg View Post
    You could have Draconian champions riding the Doom Drakes...that way most of us should be pleased.
    I would like to have a really,really powerful unit as top tier for draconians...stronger than the doom drakes of MoM.
    I'll go with the flow, but my vision is for the elder Draconians to be too large to be borne by the Drakes. Drakes being the much smaller cousins to the true Dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardagg View Post
    I could support that.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    I'll go with the flow, but my vision is for the elder Draconians to be too large to be borne by the Drakes. Drakes being the much smaller cousins to the true Dragons.
    I dont think of Draconian champions to be the oldest of the Draconians.
    Personally i think that Draconian champions should be of mid to old age,experienced and very good fighters,specifically trained to ride Doom Drakes( which i imagine to be smaller than true dragons but bigger than "just drakes").

You could then have another unit,the Elder Draconians, which are the biggest in size and of really,really old age.
    These guys could be nice magic users and strong melee fighters (like all Draconians) and resemble the 2nd best unit in the Draconian lineup.
    Lorewise it could be the way,that pretty often Draconian champions,when they grow too big to ride the drakes,are promoted to be a Draconian Elder. The magic skills come with the old age...champions should not be initially skilled in magic..or maybe just to a very small extent.

But i think that a mid age Draconian champion riding a Doom Drake should be more fearsome than a single Draconian Elder.
    Last edited by Mardagg; 10-07-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast