Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draconians [Discussion: Units]

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    OK Mardagg, you sold me on Drake Cavalry, if the Elder becomes a unit.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Troy, there is a typo in the thread title. You forgot the R in Draconians.

P.S. I think the Draconians need some sort of actual Dragon as a high tier unit.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Draconians are Dragon-Kin, not Dragons. Having the Drakes as mounts is enough in my eyes.

Now, if in some DLC thing where there might be Quests, I can see the Draconians having the easiest time with recruiting an actual Dragon as the result of a Quest.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    has anyone thought that maybe bowmen can get replaced by breath weapons for most units? there seems to be a lot of anti bowmen sentiment, but have we decided on ranged ability yet? some people ask for arcane casters in lieu of bowmen, but does that take into account them having firebreath (as plenty of people seem to assume they have).

and since no healer unit failed the balance poll does that mean we need a healer unit?

LOL, I just was going to basically make jamoecw's suggestion. If a you want a ranged unit, modify the breath weapon (I do like having draconians with access to the MOM style breath weapon though, probably at higher tiers.) Perhaps a acid-spit or fire-bolt spit. However, I'd be fine with no ranged weapons. I'd say it gives the race a different feel. I couldn't see them pulling bowstrings with those claws anyhow. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    Troy, there is a typo in the thread title. You forgot the R in Draconians.

P.S. I think the Draconians need some sort of actual Dragon as a high tier unit.
    I'll see if I can fix the typo. Thanks for pointing that out

As for the Dragon as a top tier unit, I think Aaron ruled that out earlier. If he didn't, I'm not for it. Draconians are Dragon-kin. The Dragons would see them as lesser beings, not a class noble enough to command them in battle. Only sorcerer-lords have that kind of power.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

Oh, just wanted to add: I really like the Founder thing.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Battlemage
    Maybe drake is the final evolved form of a draconian? Runequest (pnp) game allowed you to play Dragonewts that were neotenic dragons. Maybe Draconians are a similar race where they evolve towards dragons - or in this case drakes.

Drake vs Dragon (even if both images say dragon but for me drake is smaller, more upright. Dragon is quadruped and heavier.)

That would make drake the top tier unit without it being a pet and leave true dragons out as draconian units..

As for tridents. I like the idea but if we get a water race similar to merfolk or nagas I see tridents playing a large role there as well. Doesn't mean draconians couldn't have one also.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jamoecw View Post
    has anyone thought that maybe bowmen can get replaced by breath weapons for most units? there seems to be a lot of anti bowmen sentiment, but have we decided on ranged ability yet? some people ask for arcane casters in lieu of bowmen account them having firebreath (as plenty of people seem to assume they have).

and since no healer unit failed the balance poll does that mean we need a healer unit?
    I wouldn't replace bowmen with a ranged unit personally. I see lack of long range options as a balance factor since flying units are not hindered by terrain affecting spells (i.e earth to mud). I'd keep only elementalist as the mid tier ranged unit. Most other units would have breath weapon as short to mid range option.

I feel Draconians are too small to have a wide cone breath. They should have line breath.

I'd like to see something like:

Low
    - Founders (settler)
    - Myrmidon (basic soldier): claw/trident melee, line breath weapon, flight

Mid
    - Wyrmpriest (healer): claw melee, line breath weapon, flight, casting (guardian wind, regenerate, resist elements)
    - Elementalist (mage): ranged energy, elemental attunement, elemental resistance, flight, casting

High
    - Drake (top tier mobile hitter): claw/bite, cone breath weapon, first strike/initiative, flight

Notes:
    renamed dragon priest wyrmpriest. Nicer and simpler name. I still think they should have mostly protection spells but if healing option must exist I'd pick regenerate. Visually the elementalist ranged attack should be "spit a bolt of elemental energy at target".
    Last edited by Beregar; 10-07-2013 at 10:49 AM.

I'd move Myrmidon to medium tier, as it's supposed to be a halberdier replacement. Low tiers can be occupied by appropriately named spearmen and swordsmen.

Give the draconians access to bows/long range weapon/great magic, and you will create a monster. There will be no need to go into hand to hand combat, just blast from afar, rinse and repeat........
    Last edited by zdsdead; 10-07-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Quote Originally Posted by zdsdead View Post
    Give the draconians access to bows/long range weapon, and you will create a monster. There will be no need to go into hand to hand combat, just blast from afar, rinse and repeat........
    There were draconian bowmen in MoM, and I don't think that anyone actually used them.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast