View Poll Results: How fast should Draconians heal compared to High Men?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Same as High Man rate.

8 26.67%
  • 1.5 x High Man rate.

9 30.00%
  • 2x High Man rate.

11 36.67%
  • 3x High Man rate.

0 0%
  • Full regeneration.

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Draconians [8th Vote: Rate of Healing]

The Draconians [8th Vote: Rate of Healing]

Hello fellow backers!

We are nearing the end of our work on the Draconians. One thing we need to adress before we turn them over to development entirely is their rate of healing. The idea of "regeneration" or faster rates of healing for the Dracs has come up a few times in various threads. I avoided it until now because I felt we needed more information about the faction.

For instance, over in Draconian Units thread, we decided that the Dracs would not have a healer unit. This is fine, but it does make their rate of healing more important. Not having a healer unit is quite a strategic challenge. So we're going to examine their rate of healing compared to High Men (the "base race" for the purposes of this thread).

There are five choices. The first is "Same as High Men" which means no fast healing. The second is 1.5x High Man rate. So if High Men heal 20% of their hit points at the end of each turn, the Dracs would heal 30%. 2x High Man rate would mean Dracs heal 40%, etc. The final choice, full regeneration, would mean they heal 100% at the end of each turn. However, this will work differently from the Troll regeneration of MoM: dead units would not come back.

Remember, numbers are relative. We're just comparing how fast Dracs recover compared to High Men. Firm numbers probably won't come in until beta testing.

Peace,

-Troy
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 10-17-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Same rate. Draconians will already be fast, flying, fire-breathing, heavily armored mofos. No need to give them another boost that's clearly reserved for trolls or other creatures more associated with regeneration (like even Lizardmen).

Mage of the Inner Tower War Troll's Avatar
    62 Troll Drive, Troll Town, Plane of Myrror
    I'll go with same as High Men simply because of the other advantages they'll have. No Healer unit can be explained away by them having taboos against looking weak by having wounds tended to or... something.

Abecedarian Mage
    I voted 1.5x rate. I think Draconians should be regenerating closer to a stack with a healer than to a stack without one (and I notice Healer is not among the suggest unit abilities).

I also think there should be some balancing between healing rate and armor (indirectly damage rate) during playtesting (and it should likely also include hit points).

If Draconians only take half damage in a combat compared to high men of the same tier, they already have an effectively double healing rate (half as many turns to full health).

However, if high men manage to use their priests' healing spell at the end of the combat, they are 0 turns to full health, much faster yet again.

The art of balancing is to make sure that Draconians perform well in high-level fights (where hits are likely) without becoming invulnerable in low-level combats (which may happen because of their good armor) and that they recover within a sensible time after a hard combat.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Without a healer unit (which as pointed out elsewhere went against the drawback poll) they definitely need to heal naturally at a faster rate, especially since they will likely be bigger and have more HP.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Without a healer unit (which as pointed out elsewhere went against the drawback poll) they definitely need to heal naturally at a faster rate, especially since they will likely be bigger and have more HP.
    It doesn't go against the poll at all. If "No Healer" had won, then we couldn't have put a healer in. But "No Healer" not winning didn't automatically mean we were required to have a healer unit. It just gave people the option if they wanted. The unit list came about organically through consensus-building. That's the results we have to live with and that's where we'll start in beta testing. After testing starts, we'll see what happens. But one way to help mitigate the lack of healer units is to increase their rate of healing. But if people don't want to that, that's fine with me. The race will just be balanced in other ways.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    I think they should regenerate at 2.5x human regeneration, but there is no option for it, so I voted for 2x human regeneration.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Abecedarian Mage
    This is one of those things that will only become clear with testing, I'm sure. Having no advantage at all in healing rate and no access to healers (unless they can hire some mercenary healers, if such units will exist) could negate a lot of the other advantages the Dracos have. But that all depends on just how quick the normal healing rate is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka View Post
    This is one of those things that will only become clear with testing, I'm sure. Having no advantage at all in healing rate and no access to healers (unless they can hire some mercenary healers, if such units will exist) could negate a lot of the other advantages the Dracos have. But that all depends on just how quick the normal healing rate is.
    We're just choosing where beta-testing starts. That's what all of the Draconian threads (and all race threads, really) have been about.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    i felt that they wouldn't need a healer unit if they all flew and had something like breath attack so as to avoid most damage in the first place. though my thoughts rarely match either the polls or the discussions (which both tend to be different, as the discussions tend to be 10 or less people, while the polls tend to be multiples of ten), so my views might not be the best one to gauge how people expect things to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast