Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Elf Units

But why wouldn't you want them clad in metal bikinis! XD
    On a more serious note about armour (might as well deal with it now) 1, 2, 3, 4 which of the female armours are too stripperific?
    'Everything you wanted to know about Dark Elves that i'm allowed to post' - thread coming soon

Fullplate with bare thighs or belly - a no-go for me. It just looks stupid.

Abecedarian Mage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirno9destiny View Post
    On a more serious note about armour (might as well deal with it now) 1, 2, 3, 4 which of the female armours are too stripperific?
    2 in any case. Nobody would ever want to have a wide hole in the middle of their armor.
    Also 1, 3. There's a reason why historical armor tends to go to at least mid-thigh.

But I'd actually argue all of them. There's no reason beyond the viewers' titillation to make the female version of the armor protect less skin area than the male version.

Look to women in modern motorcycle gear to get an idea how female leather armor should look, and use much the same shape for mail and plate.

As the dark elves are divine casters, there isn't even the usual loophole that arcane casters are forbidden from wearing armor.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    All of them. (4 isn't very sexualized, but it does leave half her arms exposed.) Why would anyone wear armor that leaves obvious weak points for their enemies to kill them. It also breaks the immersion when your soldiers wear sexualized armor or clothing, and if it's bad enough it'll hurt sales. I've refused to buy a couple of games recently because they had characters that had really bad armor design. (One was Kings Bounty, and the other was a JRPG I can't remember the name of right now.)
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for no stripper armor.

And we've already been told that Divine and Arcane Magic is really just the same thing at the base, so I don't see the issue with the warlock.

As for a ranged unit, if we want to avoid the standard things to make something more unusual, how about a Bola Thrower? The Dark Elves could weave the Bolas from spider webs to make them sticky, giving us a ranged unit that focuses more on tying enemies down then hurting them to go with the suggestion on how the faction sticks stuff down so the heavy melee monsters can get stuck in.

Well there is also the Bolas Spider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfMJJAzvbI
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

I'm not a huge fan of the Warlock for this faction. Is it necessary from a mechanical perspective?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

When doing a quick look around on Wikipedia for ideas you miss things like that bolas spider...
    Of course, although i adore the idea of the Bolas, the whole stereotypical Dark Elf Archer thing comes into play which I think is what Aaron was getting at before... Although by this factions rules, emulating actual spiders would be a better choice to being all arrowy for the sake of fitting in with conventional racial traits imo.

Edit: I was actually expecting somebody to point out that image 4 dosn't look like actual armour and more like cloth. And maybe to get a rough idea on how the group felt about thigh-highs, I know they are impractical I just really really like them for some reason. Seeing as i'd prefer all the units to have some silk/goassmar on them. Oh wait does that mean detached sleeves are going to be unwanted as well, i was wanting to try and get Weavers looking oddly similar to a random video game shrine maiden...

But I suppose i'd best wait for Aaron to give his word on the units before delving any deeper into what they look like.
    Last edited by Cirno9destiny; 10-22-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    'Everything you wanted to know about Dark Elves that i'm allowed to post' - thread coming soon

Abecedarian Mage
    And maybe to get a rough idea on how the group felt about thigh-highs, I know they are impractical I just really really like them for some reason. Seeing as i'd prefer all the units to have some silk/goassmar on them. Oh wait does that mean detached sleeves are going to be unwanted as well, i was wanting to try and get Weavers looking oddly similar to a random video game shrine maiden...
    So invent some lore around (blessed/magical) spider silk armor to justify that.

But please think hard whether a dominatrix look is appropriate for giving players the proper impression of your faction - at least I would get a strong vibe that they are only playing at being evil.

That look would acceptable be for the Inquisitor with her charm magic - and maybe even traditional, considering the use of Succubi as units in several other games.

Abecedarian Mage
    Hey, it's a fantasy tradition to leave a boob-window in female armours!

But let's break that tradition here and try to make the armour sets look somewhat more realistic.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast