Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Elf Units

OK, great feedback! This unit list is still very much in flux. Don't take anything I've said so far as set in stone.

So, to dive in:

Let's drop the warlock. I'm the only one giving him any love, lol. I do want to point out that all magic in Elannra is "arcane". The priestesses worship a spider goddess and use magic. They don't get the magic from the goddess as they would in D&D. The effects of the gods on Elannra is less tangible (in most cases).

I like the idea of the slave units being thralls. It makes sense on a number of levels.

Spinner, Weaver, and Cutter. Brilliant. I say we run with that.

We can drop the charm effect on the Inquisitor. (It may be OP and does feel a little forced. I'm not sure where I got the idea. It was in my notes for some reason...) Really I think we need to redefine it's roll more clearly.

In order to move forward let's look at what we agree on (I think):

Spinner – Settler.
    Thrall – Slave melee unit.
    Weaver – Priestesses (with purify).
    Cutter – Mutated multi-armed melee master.
    Armaghoma - Some kind of giant spider with some kind of lore (that's as much as we agree on so far, lol).

Do we agree on those five?

If so, we can move on. What are your next few favorites Cirno? How do you want to pitch the lore behind Armaghoma?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Spinner – Settler.
    Thrall – Slave melee unit.
    Weaver – Priestesses (with purify).
    Cutter – Mutated multi-armed melee master.
    Armaghoma - Some kind of giant spider with some kind of lore (that's as much as we agree on so far, lol).

Do we agree on those five?
    Wow. I actually like those quite a bit!
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Me too!!

Those units seem fine +1
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Battlemage
    +1 for list
    +1 for the spider cavalry zealots too
    +1 for poison crossbowmen

I kind of like the idea of whip unit. Life draining whip sounds nice and I see them as extended reach unit. I mean they would have range 2 attack. Maybe make them the Inquisitor or warlock replacement with a dash of magic in the mix? A bit death magic perhaps? Something protective like cloak of fear? Actually I kind of like Inquisitor as the name.

What does Cirno think about this idea? It's your race after all.
    Last edited by Beregar; 10-22-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I voted for the Warlock...

I like that list though, too.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zdsdead View Post
    Well there is also the Bolas Spider...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UfMJJAzvbI
    so a spider that comes out at night, makes itself sexually attractive to the prey it is hunting, then captures it using non lethal means? the only thing i can see not fitting is disguising itself as bird poop during the day.

nice job on finding something that fits the theme so completely.

Also they only grow to half an inch, and they dont release the bolas, so I guess theres no way they would work in a fantasy game, after all we would have to replicate them exactly like they are, in nature..........

I just like Happerys idea of a bolas, thought id add a spidery, bit of real world fluff to back it up
    Last edited by zdsdead; 10-23-2013 at 09:56 AM.
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Keep talking and suggesting guys. We need three more units.

(Cirno, that means you especially, lol. Do you feel that the blade booted kickboxers fit your theme? I haven't officially axed anything yet. I'm just putting up what I'm confident about as opposed to what I'm unsure of. For instance if we give the web wardens the ability to buff like you suggested we could probably make them work.)

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zdsdead View Post
    Also they only grow to half an inch, and they dont release the bolas, so I guess theres no way they would work in a fantasy game, after all we would have to replicate them exactly like they are, in nature..........

I just like Happerys idea of a bolas, thought id add a spidery, bit of real world fluff to back it up
    i don't see them as a military unit, more like if something like supply crawlers ever got implemented it would be a unique slave gathering unit for the DEs. other than that it seems to fit the idea of the DE faction more than anything else theme wise (what else in nature sexually attracts other species then captures them for later use?).

but ya, bolas are great for capture, and thus great for a slave society.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast