Thread: Can we get specific details on the spell editor?

Can we get specific details on the spell editor?

Can we get specific details on the spell editor?

I'm just asking because understanding the design scheme for the spell editor would be the easiest way to understand how the spell system works and how versatile it is.

Battlemage
    I would like to know about this as well. I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing my own balance and effect pass if the spell threads are any indication where it is going. I'm concerned some circles end up being filled with repetitive spells in split circles while others are "must haves" because they are so versatile. I'm also not fond of how biomancy is described to be honest so I know I'll be retooling it to "nature" sphere.

So what I would like to know:
    1. Can we add spells or merely edit existing spells?
    2. Can we add and remove effects from/to spells or only edit values?
    3. Can we change spells circles?
    4. Can we change spell categories?

Personally I'd like to see spell editor where you can construct spells like mom magic item editor. That is you add and/or remove components and exchange their keywords. I.e. Spell raise volcano has three descriptive components "destroy", "terraform", "damage" and destroy has keyword building, terraform has keyword volcano, and damage has keyword fire. Of course there would be also things like mana cost, and components like target. Basically "build your spells from bricks" approach. Bonus points if you have "code view" where you can directly create effects.

Does the spell system use scripting language or is it C# by the way?

Developer
    Spells (and abilities) will be stored in a XML file.
    Nothing I say here is final, there's still a lot going on, but currently you can edit a lot of things - mana cast cost, infuse cost, infuse multiplier, saving throw types, saving throw effect, aoe, which faction to target, spell effects, icon, visual effect, duration, tier, circles, spell resistance. Each effect has some degree of customization, too.

Battlemage
    Thank you. This sounds very promising. It's nice the list is not hard coded. Sounds like it wouldn't be that hard to add new spells using existing effects.