Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Character Creation [Starting Spells]

Character Creation [Starting Spells]

OK guys, how should we handle starting spells? We need to decide a number of things. These issues stand out:

How many spells should a player be able to start with based on spell circles chosen?

What should the maximum tier of those spells be?

How is the list of potential spells generated?

Should we have “guaranteed available” selections that ensure you can research a particular spell even if you don't start with it?

How should the Circle Mastery Disciplines affect the starting spells options?

Other questions may spring to mind as we answer these. However, I think this list is a good starting point. So, thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

How many spells should a player be able to start with based on spell circles chosen?How many spells should a player be able to start with based on spell circles chosen?
    Do it like MoM did it. You get X per circle based on the number of points you put into that circle. They should all be level 1 or 2 spells.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Abecedarian Mage
    For reference, MoM's table is here.

The table of d20 Sorcerer & Wizard spells is here

I think the following rules may give a similar feeling to MoM's rules:

If a Sorcerer's effective tier for a spell (the sum of both circles) is two tiers higher than the spell's tier, that spell is guaranteed to be researchable.

Half of the spells one below the effective tier are available for research (randomly per circle, starting with the highest circle), and one third of the spells from the same tier.

If a Sorcerer's effective tier for a spell is four tiers higher than the spell, the spell is automatically known.

From the researchable spells where the sorcerer's effective tier is three higher than the spell's tier, the player may select one (or one tenth, rounded) to be known without research.

Tier 9 in a circle makes half the tier 9 spells researchable.

Mastery makes all spells in a circle researchable.

On finding another spell book, first the spells newly guaranteed for research get sorted into the research queue. Next from the unresearchable spells that are newly one tier below the sorcerer's effective tier, one quarter gets added as researchable (unless I've miscalculated, this means that in total half of them are now researchable). Finally, from the spells that are newly at the sorcerer's effective tier, one third is made researchable. Attention: this reevaluation should only happen for spells where the situation has changed.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    How many spells will be in the game again?

Abecedarian Mage
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    How many spells will be in the game again?
    360 with the 2nd KS. And however many get added by DLC later, these rules should be prepared.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower Wraithstalker's Avatar
    mmileder's idea seems pretty good, and easy to understand.

The only thing is that a starting Teir 9 single circle mage versus a two element 4/5 teir mage has a massively different number of starting spells known, while spending the same amount on spell books.

I think perhaps you should get one spell known, and chosen, per point of circles taken, with the spell being of 1st or 2nd teir.

Quote Originally Posted by mmilleder View Post

If a Sorcerer's effective tier for a spell (the sum of both circles) is two tiers higher than the spell's tier, that spell is guaranteed to be researchable.

Half of the spells one below the effective tier are available for research (randomly per circle, starting with the highest circle), and one third of the spells from the same tier.

Mastery makes all spells in a circle researchable.
    I really like these ideas.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Hum. I'd prefer it to be a bit more random at the lower levels. That sounds like most of the spells will always be available, even with just a middle level dip.

But overall I'll give it a +1.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    WoM has 9 Tiers, MoM had only 4. There was no guarantee until 7 spellbooks, and then for only the lowest Tier.
    I think 3 Tiers above for guaranteed spells is more accurate.

Easy to make this 75%, 50%, 25% for 2, 1, 0 Tiers above.

If a Sorcerer's effective tier for a spell is four tiers higher than the spell, the spell is automatically known.
    Absolutely NOT.

Mastery makes all spells in a circle researchable.[/QUOTE]

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithstalker View Post
    I think perhaps you should get one spell known, and chosen, per point of circles taken, with the spell being of 1st or 2nd Tier.
    +1

Then Mastery lets you start with 1 each of Tier 3, 4, 5, 6 also.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower Morak's Avatar
    Should one (ore more) of the 'known starting spells' be from the Arcane Circle or do we want those to require research?

As the Arcane Circle is supposed to be composed of universal spells available to all I thought that known tier 1 Arcane spells should be included. But I would restrict it to tier 1.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast