Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Global Vs. Universal Enchantments

Planar is a good term.

In theory I would also prefer the spit, but I certainly have to think in terms of GUIs and learning curves. If we have planar spells we have to make them easy to use and easy to understand. Maybe certain spells should just affect one plane. Then we can have the split, but it would be based on the spell itself, not some selection in a GUI. On the other hand this will limit the usefulness of those spells. On the other other hand it could enrich the lore. You have a Fire spell that really helps you on the plane of Fire or really attacks the plane of Water.

The best mix might be to have most spells of this type be universal. We can add a number of planar spells for variety and flavor.

As far as calculating tier is concerned I think we need to use a combination of area effected and spell power. Just Cause, for instance, really affects the caster and his cities. That's not the same as poisoning as the air in the entire universe, lol.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

So, have we said all that's going to be said here?

If so, we're just going to keep the category "Global" and specify in the spell descriptions exactly what/where the spell effects happen.

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    I think making low level Universal spells would be counter intuitive when I think we should be looking to encourage Planes to be seen as somewhere to invade and expand. If Universal spells are too common then it would encourage a sit and turtle on your own Plane strategy whilst it becomes a long distance spell casting arms race with other Factions.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Abecedarian Mage
    Quote Originally Posted by devoncop View Post
    I think making low level Universal spells would be counter intuitive when I think we should be looking to encourage Planes to be seen as somewhere to invade and expand. If Universal spells are too common then it would encourage a sit and turtle on your own Plane strategy whilst it becomes a long distance spell casting arms race with other Factions.
    Globals tend to be buffs for your faction, so to get their full benefit you should expand as quickly as possible.

Only a few very high-level Globals should do actual damage to others, and by the time they become available everybody should have access to the spell to dispel them (Disjunction in MoM).

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower bloss's Avatar
    I think Universal would be both simpler and more interesting.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

One tweak that could be made perhaps is that spells are potentially universal but always only affect planes that you have discovered/accessed? This would make a kind of sense for the spells I am thinking about. EG. Just Cause (or its equivalent) - works in places where you are known. Logically you could cast spells to affect only planes that you know about.

We're going to have to feel out what tier global spells should be as we go along. I think we'll find some good "low tier" ones. But we may or may not end up with any that are tier 1. It depends on how far we can turn the power down. What would be a good example of a tier 1 global spell? I don't know... But we might come up with one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12