Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Issue Of Unrest

The Issue Of Unrest

OK guys, this could spin off into a big debate. We've talked about it in the past, but I want to start a new thread to flesh out and finalize our ideas so we can start to implement real mechanics. In short we need to decided:

What naturally causes unrest.

What the effects of unrest are.

When a “rebellion” is liable to start.

How “rebellion” is handled.

So, jump in
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Sorry for the flood of unorganized ideas

Causes of unrest I can see :

- city size ;

- tax rate ;

- different race than capital city ;

- being too far from capital city (roads lowering the effect) ;

- being undefended (no garrison unit at all) ;

- war weariness (not sure how to implement it, combat near the city recently ? many units of the city's race lost recently by the player ? city of the same race razed by an ennemy recently ?).

How to reduce unrest :

- access to luxury (gold, gems) near the city ;

- buildings and spells ;

- garrison units in the city if they are of the same race than the city (or heroes) ;

- fame (like in MoM).

Effects of unrest :

- lowered production (gold, mana, research, food and production) - I would prefer a MoO2 style effect (if you've 20% of unrest, everything you do in the city is lowered by 20%) than a MoM style with unhappy citizen not doing anything at all, but I would be ok with a MoM style ;

- if unrest is too high and there isn't enough military unit in the city, rebellion. Revolting city doesn't product anything, has a small of chance of destroying building, and if left revolting for too long it'll seced and become indepedant city (or join a nearby empire ?) ;

- lower morale when defending against siege ;

- penalty to saving throw against city-affecting spells.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    Nice points.

I would like to add that unrest should be high when a player captures a city that previously didn't belong to him. Therefore the chance of rebellion in captured cities should be high. To reduce the unrest a player must station a certain number of units inside the city for a period of time (depending on a city size).

kilobug's list is aweome. I'd just add:

Causes of unrest-

-Enemy troops positioned within city's area of influence
    -City built on swamp or desert
    -Garrisoned by troops of a different race (half the ungarrisoned rate)

Ways to reduce-

-Spend gold on "Happiness" in a city (it would need a button and slider, effects would convert X number of rebels for Y turns based on how much is spent)
    -Dark Elves can sacrifice slaves (in the same fashion as above)
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower Morak's Avatar
    Don't forget the Disciplines:
    - Tyrant: A Tyrant suffers increases unrest in all cities with the exception of his capital.
    - Pacifist: Increased unreast during war. Increased happiness during peace
    - Merciless: A Merciless Sorcerer Lord automatically kills one rebel per turn until unrest is under control.
    - Boorish: A Boorish Sorcerer Lord receives a penalty to all diplomatic relations. (increased unrest)

- Charismatic: A Charismatic Sorcerer Lord receives a bonus to all diplomatic relations. (reduced unrest)
    - Despot: A Despot receives a bonus when dealing with unrest.

etc...

Abecedarian Mage
    Quote Originally Posted by kilobug View Post
    - war weariness (not sure how to implement it, combat near the city recently ? many units of the city's race lost recently by the player ? city of the same race razed by an ennemy recently ?).
    Maybe just diplomatic state of war, which is easy to check.

- garrison units in the city if they are of the same race than the city (or heroes)
    Any garrison should impose martial law (suppress some unhappiness), but the efficency can depend on racial relations. However, I'm not sure if that differentiation is worth the hassle - both for implementing it and the micro of stationing or making a garrison of the correct race.

- if unrest is too high and there isn't enough military unit in the city, rebellion. Revolting city doesn't product anything, has a small of chance of destroying building, and if left revolting for too long it'll seced and become indepedant city (or join a nearby empire ?) ;
    Secession should create some kind of independent city, the city should never go directly to another player.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    -Enemy troops positioned within city's area of influence
    But only if they are a threat (significantly stronger than defenders).

-City built on swamp or desert
    No.
    In gameplay terms lower growth is penalty enough for a bad city location. In terms of lore, people are used to and even like their home, no matter where it is.

-Spend gold on "Happiness" in a city (it would need a button and slider, effects would convert X number of rebels for Y turns based on how much is spent)
    Micro alert!
    I'd suggest to stay true to MoM - let cities build Trade Goods and lower taxes to zero to avoid a major source of unrest.
    If this is deemed too little, follow Civ 1 and make a global rate of Luxuries.
    Individual cities can be handled with any of the other suggested tools - buildings, spells, garrison...

-Dark Elves can sacrifice slaves (in the same fashion as above)
    I don't think so. Using up slaves for a project is OK, but I think killing them for fun should be considered a waste.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    My vote is to follow MoM nearly to a T, but have a higher chance of rebellion. Rebellion in MoM for those of you who never experienced it is (I think) 2-5 units native to the city spawn and fight your garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    My vote is to follow MoM nearly to a T, but have a higher chance of rebellion. Rebellion in MoM for those of you who never experienced it is (I think) 2-5 units native to the city spawn and fight your garrison.
    Hmm. Don't know about that. Was playing MoM tonight and had one of my Dark Elf cities with 4 swordsman units rebel on me and become neutral. I lost everything without a fight.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

I like the gradual punishment method. As more Population units move into rebellion the more your city gets unproductive. At a certain point (maybe more than 66%) construction stops, taxes stop getting paid, etc. If left alone for too long have the city properly rebel with some low level units from that city's race appear to fight your garrison (if it is garrisoned with units from that race and you have one of the more negative picks there could be a chance a unit or two could join the rebellion).

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for a gradual punishment method, and +1 to mmilleder's entire post.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast