Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ronaa's Meteors

Ronaa's Meteors

Ronaa's Meteors
    Circles: Earth, Protection
    Description: A whirring aura of meteors is conjured around the target. Any unit attacking the target get counter attacked by the meteors.

I'm trying to move this one into the actual spell list. What tier do we like? How does the counter attack work? Reflex save against or a real attack roll? How much damage?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Those questions are linked; the more damages it does, the higher tier the spell will have to be. So I would say, let's fix the tier by seeing what tiers are existing Earth/Protection spells, and then adjust amount of damage, chance to hit, if it gets out after N counter-attacks or not, ... depending of that ?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I'd say it makes a real attack roll, not make the other guy make a reflex check. But maybe you can make a reflex check for half damage.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    The original suggestion was to have X meteors that do bludgeoning damage and act as if fired by a level Y character.

First I'd fix the X as either 6 or 1d8 (or 1d10), depending on how random we want it.
    Then I say have Y be the level of the Hero if a hero casts it. If you (The Lord) cast it, then Max Level in the game.
    The damage of the meteors should start at 1d8 and be on a power meter to ramp up to 5d8.

I am assuming the average hit die for units will be d8.

Given the parameters above, Tier 4.

Battlemage
    I feel constantly like I'm stick in the mud but meteors? As a defensive cloak? I just don't like this spell thematically.

I'd go with
    Dust Cloak
    Each figure striking the cloaked unit is blinded for one turn unless they succeed in a fortitude save.

I'd honestly leave damaging protective spells out from earth.

Finally back here guys... Time flies...

Beregar, I see where you're coming from, but a good offense can be the best defense. Take Wall of Fire for instance. It does damage, but is very clearly defensive (at least in my mind).

Now, I like the idea of Dust Cloak as well, but I think Ronaa's Meteors makes sense. I also like the numbers ampoliros put together.

Do we have +1s?

+1s to move Dusk Cloak into the proposed list?

+1 from me
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for Ronaa's Meteors.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    +1 to Ronaa's Meteors

+1 to Dust Cloak, but I think the save should be Reflex

Having really considered the power of this on the battle field I tweaked it a bit. Take a look: Ronaa's Meteors

What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast