Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Grey Elves CA -> Pegasus Rider

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackson View Post
    I don't think the main point of the discussion is wether the model is realisticly clothed or not. I think some people (myself included) are just tired of the fact that the game models are exploiting their attention using sexually appealing techniques. Some people tired of the visual awesomness and just want the models to look "plausible". It is not about the exposed waist, it is about the fact that the model looks great and then there is this little detail that changes the feeling of it. This is why it looks "out of place".

For me one of the most important things is to believe in a character. There is a thing called "willing suspension of disbelief" and sometimes it takes one little detail to make it over the top. I am almost ready to believe that she is a warrior that rides on a fantastic steed. I almost feel it and then I notice something that makes me grin and say "Ohhh....does it necesarry have to be like that?". And in my mind the glorious warrior women transforms into your average booth girl.

What really makes me upset is that it is all about that tiny detail that ruins the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing. That is why I want it gone. Everything else is perfect.
    +1 to this.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by devoncop View Post
    You do realize that it is nearly impossible to ride a horse, or Pegasus, while wearing a burqa, right?

I am hoping Endless that you picked up here Troy's suggestion was tongue in cheek given the PC arguments being put forward by others

(I realise you are objecting on the grounds of "realism" rather than on Political Correctness by the way)
    Sorry, I was pretty tired. I only got 5.5 hours of sleep yesterday and was posting at 8:00 PM.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

I usually agree with the gist of what Endless is saying, but to take away all attistic license is too extreem for me. I support Woj 100%.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    I -1ed devoncops comment because of the skirt the Pegasus rider is wearing, not the exposed waist. Wearing a skirt would make horseback riding much harder, while the exposed waist is simply a really tiny weak spot. The design would probably be my favorite design out of all of them if those two issues were fixed though. (My favorite design right now is the unhallowed herald.)
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Sorcerer
    Endless, while I love a good argumentation (and often yours specifically), I personally feel you might be taking this too far.
    The skirt is above the knee and there are clearly some kind of pants worn under. As such, the skirt is more aesthetic in type and being that short, it easily spreads as the rider would sit. Not an inconvenience at all (yes I'm a guy and no I don't wear skirts).
    The bit of flesh being a challenge for getting you out of your submergence in the fantasy world is something I can't relate to at all.
    Having aliens that look like every single one of them can win Mss Universe, thàt's an issue.
    That in an elite society, based on healthy lifestyles, natural resources and an absence of negatively influencing factors of a chemical or electronic nature, people will look healthy, slim,... seems much more plausible to me.
    And as a last analogy, look at how human's elite are much more likely to ride/own horses. Aren't they often people of higher casts?
    Pretty people maybe even? (ooooh sources, that's gonna cost me). For sure, they will be image-conscious people that like to have minuscule "fashionable" accents on their outfits? Or maybe in Elvish culture, dressing like this is just the fashion of the year.
    It would be a great shame to see people getting offended by some unit designs, so that's not worth it to me. But if I have to choose between this elven rider and a 'typical Amazon',...

But again, I don't mean offense but I just wanted to try to explain my pov.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I don't mind the skirt, but the randomly exposed 'shoot me' flesh jars me..

Abecedarian Mage
    Looks very good to me! I wasn't shocked by the inch of exposed flesh either. It's not like she's wearing a chainmail bikini or anything!

Also, good point about the naked Celtic warriors. I get the feeling that if somebody suggested a unit like that for WOM, he or she would have to face a storm of angry comments.

I'm all for realism in computer games (even in fantasy ones like WOM), but that doesn't mean every unit has to look like a 15th century knight in full plate armour. Let's give the artists some freedom to work their magic.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234