View Poll Results: Which Orcish Culture Do You Most Prefer?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Choice A

17 50.00%
  • Choice B

17 50.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orcs [4th Vote: Culture Run-Off]

The Orcs [4th Vote: Culture Run-Off]

Hello Everyone,

After the preliminary vote for culture, we are having a final vote. Here are your choices:

A)Tribal-barbarian savage orcs that use raids to expand their domain and collect resources they need. This faction is lowly educated, brutal, efficient, practical, and well trained for their lifestyle. Architecture is practical and utilitarian. The culture is family based rather than individualistic. Religion is shamanistic?

B) Viking orcs. These orcs also raid but have a focus on seafaring as well. They also rely on raiding parties instead of a standing army to increase their borders. Religion is polytheistic.

As always, please argue for the option you prefer

A note about voting
    : We've had some problems over the last few votes of people clicking the wrong vote or wanting to change their vote. From this point forward, any vote I run will take the numbers as they stand. Any changing for any reason will not be allowed. This is to ensure the integrity of the vote and to be equitable to all sides. Thank you for your understanding.
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 01-13-2014 at 03:50 PM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Question Troy. Does the Orcs in option B have to focus on seafaring or can it just be raiding in general?

Mage of the Lesser Tower devoncop's Avatar
    Troys description mentions land raiding parties as well as seafaring so "raiding in general" would seem to cover it. Having said that I have gone for A personally but can see the attraction of B too.
    "There are only two things that are infinite:the universe and the stupidity of people....... and I am not sure about the universe" Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Knight View Post
    Question Troy. Does the Orcs in option B have to focus on seafaring or can it just be raiding in general?
    I think the description speaks for itself. I don't know how better to put it. B orcs raid and also have a focus on seafaring. Is there something specific you're looking for in that?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Not really. I just thought that individual naval units for races wasn't decided yet (and may not come till a DLC later). So emphasizing the seafaring part out in front at this stage is a bit odd. That is all.

Though I could be wrong on that and just missed that. If so ignore me.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    A) is boring same old same old, can we please have something interesting to look forward to? Vote B).

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i think the emphasis on seafaring doesn't have to be too strong, and viking orcs don't have to be historical vikings, maybe they fish and get a bonus to food in ocean tiles, and/or they get a +1 movement bonus to their naval units. it doesn't have to be a huge bonus, just something to make them better on the coasts than other races.

I'm not a huge fan of the viking vibe, and can see that being easy to implement in a water based dlc.

I don't think it would be hard for us to use (A) Orcs and make a very unique feel/implementation for them that would fit well with the other races of WoM.

Also, I don't even see much of a difference between these 2 orcs on this vote other than the flavor? The only differences I can see are that one has focus on seafaring and raiding parties instead of standing armies(with a possible religion difference, though not set in stone). No mention that one culture has a higher intelligence/education, or larger/smaller tech tree. No mention if one relies more on magic using units (arcane/divine?).

So really this vote comes down to do you want viking orcs or more traditional/high fantasy orcs. Tell me if I am missing something, that is all I see in this vote.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    I think I mentioned that B had a larger tech tree than A, but Troy never said anything about it. B should be somewhere in the middle in terms of education and tech, while A's tech tree would be quite small.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

I had never seen the write up, but went and found this
    Quote Originally Posted by Endless Rain View Post
    Unfortunately, I've been too busy. They're basically Semi-civilized (Roughly Iron Age tech level.) Viking style Orcs. They have access to the whole building tree, though most of the buildings are more expensive to build than their Elven, Dwarven, etc. counterparts. (The buildings might be renamed too.) Most of my time thinking about them was more on the mechanics (Units, Buildings, etc.) of my Orcs, not their background. I made a unit list for them in this thread, though: http://forum.wastelands-interactive....ll=1#post65817 (I might update it tomorrow, if I have time.)
    I like most of the ideas in here, full tech tree but at the cost of higher cost, semi civilized. I can see both those being used for either type of orcs. This quote and the included link to suggested units makes me happier with either outcome now, which is nice.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast