Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrain Bonuses

Hybrid View

Terrain Bonuses

OK guys, this post is to discuss how terrain bonuses are going to work and what the numbers should be. In one of my “Theory of One” posts I talked about how plains would work with food production. I'm going to explain that again here and we can use that as a foundation for the other terrain types.

So, first off, terrain bonuses add a percentage bonus to some area of production within a city. Each Plains tile around a city adds a 5% food production bonus for example. So, a city completely surrounded by plains will have 105% (21 tiles * 5%) food production bonus. Each farmer in said city would produce 2.05 food per turn (the total will be rounded down).

I think we should use this as a basis for the other terrain bonuses. What are all the terrain types you ask? I'm glad you did! They are:
    Deserts
    Forests
    Hills
    Mountains
    Plains
    Swamps
    Ocean
    Shore
    River
    Tundra

So, what terrain should have what bonus? We have gold, food, production, and research. One thing to keep in mind is that each race will have a “home terrain” where they will receive a food bonus. Plains may or may not give that 5% bonus to all races. It's just and example.

Thoughts?
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

I think terrain should affect Food, Production, and Gold. So here's my suggestions:

Deserts: -5% Food, -10% Production, +0% Gold
    Forests: +5% Food, +10% Production, +5% Gold
    Hills: +0% Food, +5% Production, +0% Gold
    Mountains: -5% Food, +10% Production, +5% Gold
    Plains: +10% Food, +0% Production, +0% Gold
    Swamps: +0% Food, -5% Production, + 0% Gold
    Ocean: +5% Food, +0% Production, +5% Gold
    Shore: +5% Food, +5% Production, +5% Gold
    River: +10% Food, +5% Production, +10% Gold
    Tundra: -10% Food, -5% Production, -5% Gold.

You'll notice that I upped Plains to +10% food. Plains are the ideal growing places for crops. A city surrounded by them should be a breadbasket, not merely twice as good as one surrounded by hills or something like that. Those kinds of cities should feed stacks and stacks of troops because it's perfect.
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 12-17-2013 at 12:59 PM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Neophyte Sorcerer
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    +1 Everything Troy suggested but the Deserts -1 (In eyes of High Men). In my opinion, desert is a void of food, at least in the eyes of High Men. I suggest:
    Deserts: -10% Food, -10% Production, +0% Gold

Deserts: -10% Food, -5% Production, +0% Gold
    Hills: +0% Food, +5% Production, +5% Gold
    Mountains: -5% Food, +15% Production, +5% Gold
    River: +10% Food, +10 Production, +10% Gold

This is what I would like.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Hills: +0% Food, +5% Production, +0% Gold
    River: +10% Food, +5% Production, +10% Gold
    I'll +1 this list. The only thing I disagree with is the Swamps lack of a gold bonus, as you can probably find rare regents and drugs and so on in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    I'll +1 this list. The only thing I disagree with is the Swamps lack of a gold bonus, as you can probably find rare regents and drugs and so on in there.
    If you had to give swamps a gold bonus, what would it be? Just curious
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    If you had to give swamps a gold bonus, what would it be? Just curious
    +5% or so.

That is SO true. Let's avoid this if at all possible. I felt Civ 1 and 2 were ruined by over-building of roads.

Shadow Knight, would you care to give us your thoughts on what bonuses each terrain should provide?
    I think so as well. Roads when you build them should be an abstraction for a general whole set of roads, the main road (the one we see), and smaller feeder roads going to all those small villages that abstractly support those large cities we are building.

Sure, this is what I see (with an explanation):

Deserts: -5% Food, -3% Production, +3% Gold
    (While many human cultures have proven they can thrive in the desert food is often either limited to hunting, herding, gathering, or limited agriculture around precious water sources. Production is limited a bit by not having available things like wood or other building materials to build things, but deserts offer other types of advantages that are not readily apparent. Such as resources being more easily found due to the terrain being more exposed to the elements. So not as harsh a penalty as other terrains, but not terrible either. The gold bonus I see as as a tangential to the production bonus. Because of the exposure due to the elements precious metals, gems, semi-precious gems are more easily found. Also there are some rare and precious plants found in deserts (such as Frankincense, Myrrh, and aloe) that would be quite the commodity but they are spread out and without a special resource tile only over a slight bonus.

Forests: +5% Food, +5% Production, +1% Gold

Forests are the jack of all trades terrain really. Food, wood for shelter, naval stores, etc. can be found there. A weak gold bonus though as getting goods out of the deep forests can be an issue, but still valuable pelts, etc. alongside other natural items offer a small monetary bonus.

Hills: +0% Food, +3% Production, +3% Gold

No real food bonus as hills, unless they are the nice gentle rolling ones (but I really include that kind in the planes terrain really), often need work to make ready for agriculture (terracing, etc.). Or it is turned over to grazing (cows, sheep, goats, horses, etc.). A small production bonus as minerals can be found here more readily and as it is often turned over to the grazing of animals which can also assist in building (leather goods, glue, wool for clothes, etc.) which also help produce a small monetary bonus that comes with having said animals.

Growing food in the mountains is difficult. Weather is often colder (and either wetter or dryer depending on what side of the mountain you are on) and often the subject of sudden storms. Further more the available arable land is often limited to small plots or in the deep valleys. Production bonus is king here. All the useful natural materials from stone to mineral wealth can be found here. Those useful materials are not just there for the glory of building things but selling them as well. As they are hard to get to their value is often higher, thus a nice gold bonus.

Food, bountiful food. Enough said about that. Production and gold bonus is a wash really. No real negatives nor positives in either.

Swamps: +0% Food, -3% Production, + 3% Gold

Food can be found in swamps, and often can be cultivated there as well. However it is difficult so no bonuses nor negatives. Due to the dampness production penalties kick in. Sure one can find bog iron, plenty of wood (if damp) but getting it to where you need it can be problematic. Swamps though often have rare plants or animals that have medicinal or magical uses. So a modest gold bonus.

Ocean: +3% Food, +0% Production, +3% Gold

Fishing is not only a good sources of food but also can be quite financially beneficial. Not exceptionally so, but salted herring did make many a northern European power wealthy and supply a decent amount of food.

Shore: +5% Food, +0% Production, +5% Gold

While deep sea fishing is beneficial nearer to the shore richer fishing grounds can be found. As well as resources such as pearls, coral, etc. that can be sold off.

River: +10% Food, +3% Production, +5% Gold

A river running through your lands offers many benefits. Fresh water not just to drink but to irrigate fields. Production is increased a little bit by just the ease of transportation, and the mud of the river can be used to make bricks. A decent gold bonus from the ease of trade and getting food/goods to market.

Tundra is difficult to grow anything on, find resources to build things with, and extracting anything worth cash is difficult at best. (A DLC with a race attuned to the tundra and ice should be planned IMO.)

My updated list:

Deserts: 0% Food, 0% Production, +3% Gold
    Forests: +3% Food, +3% Production, +1% Gold
    Hills: +2% Food, +2% Production, +2% Gold
    Mountains: 0% Food, +5% Production, +5% Gold
    Plains: +5% Food, +0% Production, +0% Gold
    Swamps: +0% Food, 0% Production, + 3% Gold
    Ocean: +1% Food, +0% Production, 2% Gold
    Shore: +2% Food, +0% Production, +3% Gold
    Tundra: 0% Food, 0% Production, 0% Gold

I just followed Aaron's guidelines, but my reasoning from my earlier posts remain. Although with all negative values being removed I adjusted accordingly.
    Last edited by Shadow Knight; 12-19-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower
    I like Shadow Knight's list, but I want Swamps to give more food and less gold than Deserts, and Tundras shouldn't completely useless:

Deserts: 0% Food, 0% Production, +3% Gold
    Forests: +3% Food, +3% Production, +1% Gold
    Hills: +2% Food, +2% Production, +2% Gold
    Mountains: 0% Food, +5% Production, +5% Gold
    Plains: +5% Food, +0% Production, +0% Gold
    Swamps: +1% Food, 0% Production, + 2% Gold
    Ocean: +1% Food, +0% Production, 2% Gold
    Shore: +2% Food, +0% Production, +3% Gold
    Tundra: 0% Food, 0% Production, +1% Gold

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast