OK guys, this post is to discuss how terrain bonuses are going to work and what the numbers should be. In one of my “Theory of One” posts I talked about how plains would work with food production. I'm going to explain that again here and we can use that as a foundation for the other terrain types.

So, first off, terrain bonuses add a percentage bonus to some area of production within a city. Each Plains tile around a city adds a 5% food production bonus for example. So, a city completely surrounded by plains will have 105% (21 tiles * 5%) food production bonus. Each farmer in said city would produce 2.05 food per turn (the total will be rounded down).

I think we should use this as a basis for the other terrain bonuses. What are all the terrain types you ask? I'm glad you did! They are:
Deserts
Forests
Hills
Mountains
Plains
Swamps
Ocean
Shore
River
Tundra

So, what terrain should have what bonus? We have gold, food, production, and research. One thing to keep in mind is that each race will have a “home terrain” where they will receive a food bonus. Plains may or may not give that 5% bonus to all races. It's just and example.

Thoughts?