Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrain Bonuses

Quote Originally Posted by Mardagg View Post
    I could maybe live with a generic gold bonus for Hills,Mountains,Forests and Swamps if they are blocked until a road is build
    I would not be against that if roads could affect terrain bonuses in aadjacrnt squares. Else we'll end up with roads everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Knight View Post
    I would not be against that if roads could affect terrain bonuses in aadjacrnt squares. Else we'll end up with roads everywhere.
    That is SO true. Let's avoid this if at all possible. I felt Civ 1 and 2 were ruined by over-building of roads.

Shadow Knight, would you care to give us your thoughts on what bonuses each terrain should provide?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Apprentice
    I wouldn't be so quick to assign negative production to swamps.... See bog iron.
    Bog iron was discovered during the Pre-Roman Iron Age, and most Viking era iron was smelted from bog iron. The bog iron deposits of Northern and Northeastern Europe were created after the Ice Age ended, on postglacial plains. In Russia, bog ore was the principal source of iron until the 16th century, when the superior ores of Ural Mountains became available.

instead of roads,there could be a building in the city like "trade post" or something that unlocks the gold bonus of all rough terrain types for all tiles that belong to the city.
    Last edited by Mardagg; 12-17-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalminen View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to assign negative production to swamps.... See bog iron.
    I see where you're coming from, but I think it would be counter-intuitive to most players since they're likely not aware of that little factiod (interesting read, tho).

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    Deserts: -5% Food, -10% Production, +0% Gold
    Forests: +5% Food, +10% Production, +5% Gold
    Hills: +0% Food, +5% Production, +0% Gold
    Mountains: -5% Food, +10% Production, +5% Gold
    Plains: +10% Food, +0% Production, +0% Gold
    Swamps: +0% Food, -5% Production, + 0% Gold
    Ocean: +5% Food, +0% Production, +5% Gold
    Shore: +5% Food, +5% Production, +5% Gold
    River: +10% Food, +5% Production, +10% Gold
    Tundra: -10% Food, -5% Production, -5% Gold.
    I'll +1 this list. The only thing I disagree with is the Swamps lack of a gold bonus, as you can probably find rare regents and drugs and so on in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    I'll +1 this list. The only thing I disagree with is the Swamps lack of a gold bonus, as you can probably find rare regents and drugs and so on in there.
    If you had to give swamps a gold bonus, what would it be? Just curious

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    If I really represent the minority here,then let me just paint the following scenario:

Forests: 5% food,10 % production,5% gold.
    Plains: 10% food, 0% production, 0% gold.
    I would choose Forest tiles all day.
    Let me paint a worse scenario:
    'a race's favored terrain give +5% food bonus to the terrain.'
    elves in forest = 10% food, 10% production, 5% gold

• *20 = +200% food, +200% production, +100% gold
    • 3x normal pop, producing 3x per pop, able to afford double the upkeep per pop
    • 9x effective production, 1/6 effective upkeep

dwarves in mountains = 0% food, 15% production, 5% gold
    • *20 = +0% food, +300% production, +100% gold
    • 1x normal pop, producing 4x per pop, able to afford double the upkeep per pop
    • 4x effective production, 1/2 effective upkeep

humans on plains = 15% food, 0% production, 0% gold
    • *20 = +300% food, +0% production, +0% gold
    • 4x normal pop, producing 1x per pop, able to afford normal upkeep per pop
    • 4x effective production, 1x effective upkeep

dwarves in forests = 5% food, 10% production, 5% gold
    • *20 = +100% food, +200% production, +100% gold
    • 2x normal pop, producing 3x per pop, able to afford double the upkeep per pop
    • 6x effective production, 1/4 effective upkeep

humans in forests = 5% food, 10% production, 5% gold
    • *20 = +100% food, +200% production, +100% gold
    • 2x normal pop, producing 3x per pop, able to afford double the upkeep per pop
    • 6x effective production, 1/4 effective upkeep

so humans have small armies, and dwarf level of development.
    dwarves have armies twice the size of humans, with the same level of development.
    elves have armies 6x times the size of humans, with over double the level of development.
    dwarves have double their normal army size and 50% better level of development if they live like elves.
    humans have 4x their normal army size and 50% better level of development if they live like elves.

keep in mind that i used a greatly simplified MoM style of growth, in that cities reach max size the food can support at the same time as each other (normally there would geometric growth, in that high food producers reach max city size faster).

'a race's favored terrain give +5% food bonus to the terrain.' part of this equation is based on a simple racial terrain advantage, any personalized racial balancing for such is just that, extra racial balancing because some terrain is better than others.

any racial balance needs to make the terrain favorable enough to compete with elvish forests, while taking into account that they might make use of forests for pseudo elvish advantages.

in short unbalanced terrain will always favor one or a few races over the rest.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zalminen View Post
    well you have sold me on having the iron special resource being able to spawn in swamp tiles.

http://wastelands-interactive.com/me...orld_resources
    Last edited by jamoecw; 12-17-2013 at 10:31 PM.

I could maybe live with a generic gold bonus for Hills,Mountains,Forests and Swamps if they are blocked until a road is build

If I really represent the minority here,then let me just paint the following scenario:

Forests: 5% food,10 % production,5% gold.
    Plains: 10% food, 0% production, 0% gold.

I would choose Forest tiles all day.
    I don't have a problem with forests being superior to plains in WoM.. This is a fantasy game after all, and the forests is always where the cool stuff happens. Where is it written plains must be superior?

---------- Post added 12-18-2013 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-17-2013 at 11:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Maybe mana crystals could spawn in swamp tiles then?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    If you had to give swamps a gold bonus, what would it be? Just curious
    +5% or so.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast