Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orcs [Discussion: Units]

Post The Orcs [Discussion: Units]

Hello Backers!

We're making out way through the orc faction surprisingly well! I have to say I am impressed and pleased with everything that's happened so far.

Now it's time to discuss units. Remember, we have chosen a Viking Theme for their culture, so units should fit with that flavor. Please refer to the building list also to keep in mind what would be appropriate and what wouldn't. Here is the High Man list if units for reference. Additionally, remember that this faction tends to peak in power in the early mid-game. So the first four or five units should really pack a punch.

As with the Myrodants and Draconians, we'll divide the units up into three groups: Low Tier, Mid Tier, and High Tier. One unit, obviously, has to be a Settler unit, but we can call it whatever we want and maybe give it some other ability.

As always, please discuss NO MORE THAN THREE units at a time. Do not propose or compile a list of all the units for this faction. I want everyone to add their input and whole lists just stifle productive dialogue.

Thank you, and let's start discussing!

Peace,

-Troy
    Last edited by Troy_Costisick; 02-05-2014 at 06:10 PM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

What about making their Shaman/mage called Vaelderman? I've seen that term used in other games, etc. for a Nordic mage. Usually specializes in some kind of nature magic (storms/lightning, etc.).

I can look up some more information if there is interest, but for now off to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Knight View Post
    What about making their Shaman/mage called Vaelderman? I've seen that term used in other games, etc. for a Nordic mage. Usually specializes in some kind of nature magic (storms/lightning, etc.).

I can look up some more information if there is interest, but for now off to work.
    Please do! That's the type of names we're looking for. It can get really boring to recycle Mage, Magician, Archmage, etc over and over again. Having something more unique to the faction is always a plus in my book.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Speaking of magical units, to go with the Runeseer's Guild, I'd like to suggest the Runeseer as the divine caster. And for obvious reasons, he should have the increased sight range ability...

For non magical units, I'd like to bring up the idea of Wolfhounds, a non mounted pack of.. well, Wolfhounds, as a cheap and early cavalry equivalent. And then later on they can pick up Manslayers, Rangers (The DND Class) mounted on giant wolves with twin axes.. And as Rangers have a special ability called 'Favored Enemy', that lets them choose a type of foe and gain bonuses when attacking it, well, the reason they are called Manslayers is that their favored enemy is Human(oid)s.

And interesting fact about Wolves in DND is that they have a special ability that lets them, whenever they successfully hit with their bite attack, make a free trip attempt.

As last I heard, polearm users could trip in WoM, it might make an interesting special ability for Norse Cavalry to be able to make trip attempts.. at least if we end up with a version that rides wolves, I mean.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i couldn't find any non video game references to vaelderman, however http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sei%C3%B0r talks about nordic sorcery with a term of vísendakona for female practicioners and seiomenn for male, though male ones were less desireable.

eril means runemaster, which was typically male.
    http://www.arild-hauge.com/einscription.htm

i'll come up with some units later when i have the time.

What about a Wulfmaster unit that fights with a spear and leashed timberwolf as the early midtier unit? They'd get 2 attacks per turn, but would have double the food upkeep. I would think this is a fearsome foe.

I would like to propose the following units :-

Orc Godi(means priest/chief)
    A priest that worships the various orc pagan gods. He inspires the orcish horde to fight bravely, so that they might drink at the high table of their ancestors, in the afterlife*

Hirdorcs
    The “professional” part of the orcish army. Well versed in the ways of battle Armed in chainmail, helmets, and an assortment of axes/swords shields, can form the famous shieldwall (gives a defence bonus)

Orc Hersir
    The orcish elite. Armed with the best armour, and weapons. Plate mail, shield axes/swords. They will defend there Jarl unto death. Many songs have been sung about the bravery of the hersir, they are a feared opponent and rightly so. They will not run, and will fight to the last orc.(shieldwall ability)
    Elder Dragon, Grand Chancellor x 2, Conjurer x 2, and some other type of Backer

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    However true to history those names might be, I have to admit that they just sound really stupid to me..

Also, we should have Berserkers for our heavy melee infantry, so that's another reason not to have the Hershir.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    well looks like i have a couple of hours after all.

hewer -

• orcish equivalent of spearman
    • cheap to produce
    • requires gold for upkeep as well as food (1 food, 1 gold)
    • has 'pillage' ability

skirmishers -
    • low tier
    • construction cost equal to spearman (10)
    • weak ranged unit
    • melee equal to spearman
    • uses javelins
    • has 'pillage' ability
    • 1 food, 2 gold for upkeep (extra gold)

orcish axeman -
    • low tier
    • construction cost equal to spearman (10)
    • melee equivalent to swordsman
    • has 'shield wall' ability
    • has 'pillage' ability
    • 1 food, 2 gold for upkeep (extra gold)

pillage ability-
    • takes 2 turns
    • results in gold, relative to food and production bonus of tile (average is 1 gold)
    • no bonuses (food production, trade) during the time it takes to 'pillage' the tile
    • double gold if tile is in a city's radius

shield wall ability-
    • reduce battle speed to medium load speed (usually from 30 to 20)
    • gains AC equal to level
    • toggleable

not sure if it is nine combat units total, or not. these are cheap to produce. generally beating out their equals due to an ability, but not by much. they tend to cost extra gold, but have the pillage ability to partially compensate for the extra upkeep. this should keep them from being able to field large armies in early game, and give them a leg up when harassing and hitting weak spots.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnReeve View Post
    What about a Wulfmaster unit that fights with a spear and leashed timberwolf as the early midtier unit? They'd get 2 attacks per turn, but would have double the food upkeep. I would think this is a fearsome foe.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    And interesting fact about Wolves in DND is that they have a special ability that lets them, whenever they successfully hit with their bite attack, make a free trip attempt.

As last I heard, polearm users could trip in WoM, it might make an interesting special ability for Norse Cavalry to be able to make trip attempts.. at least if we end up with a version that rides wolves, I mean.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    However true to history those names might be, I have to admit that they just sound really stupid to me..

Also, we should have Berserkers for our heavy melee infantry, so that's another reason not to have the Hershir.
    I hate to agree, but I do. Those names just look like gibberish to me.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast