Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Storm

Ice Storm

So, for those of you who don't already know, South Carolina was hit by a fairly major ice storm. The electricity went out at around 3AM (it's after 6PM now) and has just gotten turned back on. I should be back for real tomorrow
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Iesh. Good luck.

3D6 bludgeoning and 2D6 cold damage. Ouch. Hope you've passed your Fortitude save.

At least it gave you another day to recover. Hope everyone in your home is okay!
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I think Ice Storms should be a Strategic Water/Destru--- wait, what? "Real life"? Oh. Of course! Yes, I totally know all about "Real Life".

...That's probably a Life/Mentalism thing.

Seriously, keep warm! Glad you're OK!

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    well if you aren't one to freak out about stuff, and have a decent amount of experience with ice storms it can actually be a fun time. of course if this is new to you then you have to get brought up to speed before you can start learning how to do some fun stuff (at least safely), and it ends up being more of a disruption thing than a fun thing. of course maybe everyone else freaking out might make it less fun too.

personally i like it when you get that crisp air with the snow, as opposed to it raining after it snows and then the air is just cold and thick. hopefully you are in a real winter wonderland, instead a half melted snow cone, and that you live far enough away from anyone so that you can handle the weather how you want without having to deal with other people.

Sorcerer of the Lesser Tower bloss's Avatar
    I too thought this was a strategic attack discussion, but hope things get sorted out for you soon!

I thought about the fact that I should have put some sort of "real life" identifier in the title after I posted it, lol.

Anyways, ice storms in the South aren't fun. It's not like up North (one of my buds from Pennsylvania was over yesterday and he assured me that they almost never had anything up there like we had down here night before last). It rains but doesn't freeze until it hits something. The result is that the trees (and power lines) get encased in ice. As they do they get heavier and heavier. The tress begin to break under the weight (knocking out power lines) and the power lines can just snap (taking out even more).

The result is that the power gets knocked out all over. When I got up yesterday (and I slept late because the power was out anyway) around 85% of the neighboring county was out of power. (I couldn't get in touch with anyone who knew how much of the county I live in was out of power, but I suspect it was just as bad.) Anyways, there are so many trees down that some places may be without electricity for more than a week. Thank the Lord ours was only out for about 15 hours.

Anyways, there is nothing fun about an ice storm in the South. You can't skate on the ice, or ski on it, or make it into ice balls, or even drive on it (OK, yes, some of the rednecks had their trucks out cutting donuts in it, but I don't have a truck...). The only good thing about them is that they tend to go away fairly quickly, lol.

IMAG0489.jpg

That was some grass in my yard Yesterday morning, just to give you an idea on how much ice gets on things

That's more of an Arctic Chill, I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast