Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Arcane Spell List

Neophyte Sorcerer
    -1 for Magic Spirit. I don't want this game have any ridiculous have-to-cast scouting units like MoM had. Especially if Magic Spirit is unable to meld, it should not be implemented at all.

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    I searched for the word "arcane" in the forum and found this list of spells from the Spells sub-forums as being suggested to be Arcane...

Plug Gate (not a lot of discussion yet)
    Resist Magic
    Move Fortress
    Spell Blast
    Awareness
    Word of Recall
    Disjunction

As amazing as it sounds, that's all the search yielded. I know some of them haven't been made official yet... (Aaron, when will spell discussions resume?)

And just for completeness, our arcane discussion thread.

Battlemage
    Don't forget Spell lock. I can't think any reason why it should be anything but Arcane. It's one of those mandatory spells and counter to dispel magic.

-1 to Spell Lock as an arcane spell. We discussed that one already in the spells forum anyway. It's just too good for everyone to get.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Keep up the discussion. I plan to dive back into this tomorrow.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Magic Spirits are a vitally needed Arcane Spell, because even if other races can take magic nodes with their own casters, too many races only get late game spellcasters, rendering them unable to gain nodes in the early or middle game. Magic Spirits, which let all wizards do that, would be a really bad thing to remove from the arcane list.

And they're an iconic part of Masters of Magic anyway.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    +1 for Magic Spirits. I like the idea of not always needing them, but I have to agree with Happerry - units can't replace them.

I'd be open to the idea of something else that could. Maybe instead of Magic Spirit, we could have "Bind Node" that would immediately claim a Node as yours, or something. You wouldn't get the Scouting ability that seems to bother people about Magic Spirits, but also wouldn't have to wait while they traveled there... but then I'm not sure why you'd ever want units to do it instead. Hm. Overall, I think I like Magic Spirits.

Also -1 to Spell Lock as Arcane... it's nice, but it should be special. With WoM's set, probably Protection - it protects your enchantments from being Dispelled.

-1 to Summoning Circle as Arcane. I really like Kilobug's point that it should fall under Summoning. (Because 1, it's an interesting angle, and 2, if you don't have any points in Summoning, you probably don't have the same need or Summoning Circle. I would have offered Magic Spirits as the counter-argument to this, because you often need to move your Circle before summoning a Spirit -- but if there is a mid-game Unit-based alternative to those, then I think that's an excellent advantage to leave to actual Summoners. Early-game, it's not important, because any Nodes you're taking are probably close to home anyway.)

-1 to Spell Blast, also, I'm afraid. It's a neat spell and fun to have, but I think it would be annoying if everybody had it all the time. With our Circles, I would probably offer Spell Blast under Destruction (as you destroy their ritual) or Death (negative-energy sucking away the magic they've gathered).

+1 to Resist Magic, Move Fortress, Awareness, Dispel Magic (with the mana-slider scaling it from Unit/City/Global, covering all the Disenchants and Disjunction options). Presumably Spells of Mastery and Return.

I'm... currently ambivalent on the Summon Hero/Champion spells as Arcane. It makes sense, but you can also get heroes as rescues or mercenaries, and unlike MoM, we have a specific set of spells just for Summoning -- so it might make more sense to put them in there. Heroes would still be far from limited to just Summoners, but Summoners would be the only ones who could draw a circle on their floor and suck one out of whatever dungeon they're crawling through and bind them to their cause.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I'd say that Summon Hero should stay in arcane because sometimes there's no dungeons left and no heroes are showing up and you still need a hero, and Summon Champion should stay in arcane because having them be a Summoner only thing would be really really unbalanced in my opinion.

As for Spell Blast.. if it's not in Arcane, what's your counter to things like Zombie Mastery or an Armageddon spell?

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Everyone should have heroes/champion, so they should be arcane IMHO.

Battlemage
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    -1 to Spell Lock as an arcane spell. We discussed that one already in the spells forum anyway. It's just too good for everyone to get.
    Then -1 for spell lock being in game at all. It's just too good to limit access to it. It's like limiting access to dispel magic to just one sphere.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast