Thread: Wizard's Roulette

Developer

Wizard's Roulette

Wizard's Roulette
    Water/Mentalism

Caster gets a new random pool of spells available to research (based on his/her circles).

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    That's... awesome. Is this where it stands right now, or is there more structure to it yet? (Eg., cost, Tier, etc.) Does its cost depend on how many spells you have in your research pool, or how powerful they are?

Thinking of it in MoM terms, it seems like this actually gets more powerful later in the game, when you're focused on a handful of higher-Tier spells and just want to get the right one, so I'm not actually sure how I think that scaling should work. Should it be more expensive to shuffle a whole lot of spells, or more expensive when you already know most of them, and can `dig' for a certain spell without risking losing other good choices? In some ways, I kind of think it should be the latter -- in game terms, maybe it's harder to shift the probabilities when you already know too much.

You know, like cartoon physics.

I'm not a fan of this spell. One thing that really increased my desire to replay and replay and replay MoM was seeing new spells every time. I might only get two or three new ones, but I always played and replayed so I could find out what they were and what they did. This spell really undercuts that. You can just chain cast this thing until you get whatever spell it is you want or to just browse the whole spell inventory in a single sitting. I vote against that.

Keep the exploration part of the game sarcosanct. Delay the gratification. In the end, I feel it will benefit the game.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Say, what if Wizard's Roulette allows you to target one other Sorcerer Lord, and trades two spells of equal Tier, with the Tier affected determined by how much Power you put in? You would have to have an unresearched Spell of the appropriate Tier to lose, and would have no idea what they might have available within that Tier to gain, but you could potentially steal spells outside of your Circles... while giving up choices from within them.

Developer
    The idea of stealing spells is iteresting, but no player should have access to spells from outside his circles.

We're going to have 360 spells. There's still a lot of randomness here. Keep in mind that this spell might give you back the same spells you've already had on your list.

I'd keep it totaly random.