Thread: Shallow Magic

Developer

Shallow Magic

Shallow Magic
    ?/Mentalism

Players can't infuse spells.

Can also be a global enchantment.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    So, finding the explanation for "Infusion" in the Strategic Spells -- this would be like a muted Counter Magic? I like that, especially since it sounds like mana sliders are going to be more common in WoM.

The "s" on players sounds like it affects the Lord who casts it, too; is that the intention? Or do you mute your opponents while leaving yourself free to spend, spend, spend!, more like Counter Magic?

As a Global spell, would it mean attempts to Disjunct it would be capped at the basic casting level, too? It presumably does (and as the MoM Strategy Guide pointed out, in terms of statistics-to-investment, that was actually better than pumping it really high to start with anyway), but I think any spell that protects itself needs to be looked at on that level.

Circle-wise, it feels like either Earth or Water, as both have `grounding' elements to them. It feels more like Protection (blocking magic levels) or Biomancy (controlling energies) to me than Mentalism -- I think Mentalism is getting conflated with MoM's Sorcery, whicih was both mental and metamagic; this feels more like the `meta' side of that, and Mentalism doesn't really cover that.

Developer
    After some thinking, I came to a conclusion that this spell is broken.

I like the idea of dampening infusion, but disabing it completelyy shouldn't happen. Maybe increase infusion cost?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Maybe it just prevents it from happening in battle? I mean, strategically speaking you can do long rituals to infuse stuff, but in battle you don't have that amount of time..

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I'm curious - why is it broken? It seems like a lesser Counter Magic, so if that isn't broken, why would Shallow Magic be? Are mana sliders that much more of a Thing?