Thread: Allegiance of Madness

Developer

Allegiance of Madness

Allegiance of Madness
    Fire/Mentalism

Each unit is reassigned a leader (sorcerer lord who controls it) at random.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I'd specify eachnormal unit for this... that same connection that you can blow up with Sever The Bond should make Summoning Units immune to a random effect like this.

Is the ratio of number-of-units-per-team preserved, or does each unit have an individual coinflip? In either case, can you pump extra mana into it to shift the odds in your favor? (Casting Team Advantage, you know.) If it's determined individually, would there be a block to keep it from flipping everybody to one side, or not? Is it totally a random field effect, or does a unit's saving throws have an affect on how likely they are to change sides?

I think the biggest question is, what happens when the battle is over? Does the victor get to keep units that changed sides? Or, like MoM's Confusion, are they put to the sword before they come to their senses?

Developer
    Yeah, it shouldn't affect summons nor constructs. What about undead?

Keeping the ratio of units per team sounds good.

I'm not sure what should happen after the battle is over.

Caster of the Inner Tower
    Too random for me, I don't like it. I would support a single unit version that makes the unit change allegiance randomly (if it failed an initial saving throw), but such a wide effect one, it basically reduce the result of a battle to a dice roll.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I have to agree. This is too much on the random side.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    The Undead question runs more to the Undead Units than this spell specifically, I think. Anything Immune to Mentalism would be immune, because this is Mentalism. Otherwise, I see it working.

If the ratio of units per team is maintained, and it's limited to normal Units, I would say the units stay, and stay reassigned, after the battle - you actually just change whose they are and then stop keeping track. Otherwise there's a big risk of the winning team suddenly having no units occupying the battlefield, which could be awkward and hard to explain. (Who put them to death before they came to their senses? No, I think this has to totally rewire them.)

I don't think it reduces the battle to a single roll at all, especially with Beo's answers about it. If you have a lone Spearman guarding a city, and your opponent moves in with a big stack, you cast this and... if you're lucky, you claim a higher Tier unit to defend your city with, but you're still one against eight and probably going to lose. If they come in with a Dragon, this won't do anything at all.

On the other hand, you <i>could</i> defend all your cities with a handful of Spearmen, and hope to swap them out for better invaders. Or say you're attacking a city that's fiercely defended by a ton of ranged Units -- you don't have to cross the space in between. Cast this, and suddenly, hopefully, half those ranged units belong to you, while half of your invading units belong to your enemy. Now you've got fighting everywhere, but your units haven't been decimated on the way to it.

I think it's cool.