Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Augmentation/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

We are certainly going to need new spell suggestions. We have a lot of slots to fill. Hoverdog is working on the summing spells at the moment. There is a lot to do it's a bit difficult to coordinate, lol.

I'm going to be doing what I can to help keep everything straight and organize feedback and suggestions.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    So should we post new spell ideas for this thread here, or as their own threads in the spell forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    So should we post new spell ideas for this thread here, or as their own threads in the spell forum?
    Post them here. Browsing dozens of threads is unfun and takes a lot of time. Keeping it here makes (at least my) job easier.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i just searched for spells that had been suggested to be both life and augmentation, i passed over plenty of spells that were life/? and ?/? that may have fit, not to mention those suggested prior to the formation of how spells were classified (let alone tier 9 spells). if you think a spell should go here, say so and i'll edit the original post to include it. i also am sure that i made a few mistakes in my search and subsequent posting, if you find them i'll fix them (including things i missed).

Quote Originally Posted by alghero View Post
    I agree Happerry, but first let's close the circle, oops the remaining gaps and then we/they can add more spells.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Yes ampoliros, I meant if I dunno if tier 9 spells can be selected from those proposed here or there is a separate thread for them. So far a couple of those could be a tier 9 Life or Augmentation, do be both they can be maximum tier 8.
    the purpose of the thread is to try and eliminate leg work from the devs (and backers) for finding suggested spells in relation to where they should go. so if you think any or all of these spells should go someplace else, please say so (even if that place doesn't exist yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    Post them here. Browsing dozens of threads is unfun and takes a lot of time. Keeping it here makes (at least my) job easier.
    amproliros did an awesome job of sifting through the various threads to make individual spell threads, which is nice. if things get too heated over a single spell the discussion can get moved to its own thread, and then the results of which can get brought back. i'll try to keep the first post as a summary of all spell suggestions for even easier referencing, so even if things get wild hopefully there will still be an easy to reference source.

Well, have a list from me then. I've fit a few extra spells in at a few levels, but as mentioned earlier this isn't something that is unthinkable.. (It was also the only way I could fit everything in that I felt really needed to be in)

Tier 1: Aid and Bless Weapon.

I've replaced Holy Weapon with Bless Weapon here because as is, Holy Weapon adds positive damage, which actually heals most units, making the spell utterly useless unless you are fighting undead. And while yes, life should be good against the undead, making a buff spell that heals most of the targets your guys will be fighting seems a bit over focused to me. Aid is a good basic spell, and as such I just left it in there.

Tier 2: Increase Regeneration and Endurance.

Increased Regeneration is a low tier spell, because it doesn't grant regeneration, it just increases it. But for units with regeneration, better healing could be very useful, so it should be more then tier 1. So I made it a tier 2 spell. Meanwhile, Endurance, while a nice effect, isn't overly powerful in actual battle. Rare is it that a single extra movement point will win or loose a fight, but it is useful for reinforcing before hand. As something that has to be cast on each unit individually, I think it makes a solid second tier spell.

Tier 3: Prayer

While Prayer's +1 to each stat is useful, it isn't a total game changer. But since the spell does effect the entire battlefield, I feel it makes a solid standby for a tier 3 spell.

Tier 4: Heroism

Heroism is a useful and powerful spell that lets you make any unit elite, at least while the mana holds out. On the other hand, it's limited to how strong a unit can get naturally. I think tier 4 is a good choice for this one.

Tier 5: True Sight and High Prayer

True Sight flat out no sells all illusions, and also lets you identify invisible units. If air or water end up getting blur or mirror image, this should also counter those. While limited in what it effects, anything it does effect it counters absolutely, so I've made it Tier 5.

Meanwhile, High Prayer is twice as effective as Prayer, so I've moved it up two levels to Tier 5.

Tier 6: Regeneration and Holy War

While I didn't see Regeneration listed in the spells suggested, Life should totally have a regeneration spell. As regeneration is a powerful effect, I made it a Tier 6 spell.

Meanwhile, Holy War is a powerful city effect that greatly improves how fast you can produce a high level army, but doesn't actually make said army be more powerful (Or if it can break level cap, only a little more powerful) then it could normally be. Tier 6.

Tier 7: Life Beyond Death and Holy Aura

As a powerful battle changing spell that preserves your units beyond death and allows them to keep fighting, making any enemy kill them twice to put them down, I have made this a tier 7 spell.

Holy Aura is a powerful defensive enhancement. It makes it harder to both use hostile magic on or hurt the enchanted unit, and then punishes any evil thing that does so anyway. A clear Tier 7. Might make a better protection spell though?

Tier 8: Divine Conduit

As befits a spell that makes you an avatar of a god, Divine Conduit quite powerful. Tier 8.

Edit : And took out this on a successful Arguement it should be mentalism.
    Inspiration
    Inspiration, on the other hand, is an oldy but a goody, both granting a minor boost to production and reducing unrest, which lets you raise the taxes. Not super powerful, but quite useful, so also Tier 4.
    Last edited by Happerry; 02-12-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Battlemage
    Nm it's there. Pondering options here.

1st: aid (unit), bless weapon (unit)
    2nd: endurance (unit), true sight (unit)
    3rd: great fortitude (unit)
    4th: prayer (battlefield)
    5th: heroism (unit)
    6th: high prayer (battlefield)
    7th: holy arms (global)
    8th: eden (global)

Holy arms from MoM to tier 7 so mass bless weapon
    My reasoning for tier5 heroism is that I suspect having those max level top tier units is going to be very powerful. Luckily it's just one unit.
    Last edited by Beregar; 02-12-2014 at 06:34 PM.

Tier 6: Regeneration and Holy War

While I didn't see Regeneration listed in the spells suggested, Life should totally have a regeneration spell. As regeneration is a powerful effect, I made it a Tier 6 spell.
    I agree. Although I could see Biomancy getting Regeneration instead of Augmentation if there are too many in this circle combo.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Mage’s Assistant
    Guys we are losing Regeneration, in Biomancy is not included.
    On Happerry list I would suggest these little changes:
    True Sight as opposite to Endurance as suggested by Beregar at tier 2 (Endurance can always be included as an "extra" as we said we could have more spells in some cases after we filled all possible gaps). I simply don't see True Sight so powerful, does not affect only one unit?
    At tier 4 Heroism
    At tier 5 High Prayer
    At tier 6 Regeneration
    At tier 7 Life Beyond Death
    At tier 8 Eden
    And Conduit as one of the tier 9.
    I'm really undecided between Conduit, Eden and Holy Arms which ones at tier 9 and which at tier 8

Holy Aura a Life/Protection tier 6/7.

True Sight only enchants one unit, yes, but it makes you utterly flat out immune to the things it counters, so isn't a level 2 effect. Utter flat out immunity should never be easy to get.

Fair call on Holy Aura.

I've replaced Holy Weapon with Bless Weapon here because as is, Holy Weapon adds positive damage, which actually heals most units, making the spell utterly useless unless you are fighting undead. And while yes, life should be good against the undead, making a buff spell that heals most of the targets your guys will be fighting seems a bit over focused to me. Aid is a good basic spell, and as such I just left it in there.
    We thought about Holy Weapon and came up with the idea that it should simply do double damage versus undead. How does that sound?

Increase Regeneration feels awfully situational. Apart from a combo with a Regeneration spell, how many units will have natural regeneration? Not many, especially normal ones.

Endurance - we already have a +movement spell in Air. It fits better there too.

Prayer's good.

Great Fortitude isn't bad per se, but it isn't terribly interesting either, combining Aid's HPs and regeneration.

Heroism is a golden standard.

True Sight, again, is quite situational, so while better than Increase Regen, T5 feels too much for it. More like T2 like Beregar suggested.

High Prayer is just a better version of Prayer. I wouldn't include it unless we haven't got better options.

Regeneration - yes. Its power greatly depends on the numbers, so we can place it in almost any tier.

Holy War aka Crusade is another MoM classic.

So is Holy Arms.

Life beyond Death, Conduit, eden - ok, but not convinced about any of them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast