Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protection/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar

Post Protection/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Unplaced:
    Ward From Undead and here
    Circles: Life, Protection
    Description: All units on battlefield gain AC and Save bonuses against attacks and effects from undead creatures.
    Infusion
    Infuse any unit or barrier with a small amount of HP
    Cleanse Magic
    (T, new one: removes all negative enchantments from caster's units)
    Hearthguard
    And perhaps the amount by which it strengthens the wall is actually derived from the City's population? That makes it feel like it's using the life energy of the city to protect it.

Edit - Walls themselves are a minor enough effect that even at Tier 1, I think this should be a stackable effect with or without an actual wall - ie, if you just use Hearthguard and have no wall, it gives you a kind of ghostly wall that isn't very strong; if you build a wall and use Hearthguard, your wall is shiny and stronger than usual. For a Capital City, Hearthguard's wall might actually equate to a regular stone wall, and Hearthguard + A Real Wall would be almost impossible to knock down.
    Grand invocation of fairness (name pending)
    Circle: Defence, life
    Type: Tactical
    Cost: To be determined
    Description: Summoning the spirits of fairness unto the battlefield to referee the fight all magical properties of all units are temporarily removed. Many fantastical units (ones that require magic to live) are temporarily removed from the battlefield. No spells can be cast from either wizard after this is cast. All creatures lose their fantastic abilities (like fire breathing)
    Planar Seal
    (life/prot): stops movement between planes.
    Wall of Force
    (life/prot): creates a wall of force or makes existing wall harder to destroy.
    Holy Aura
    (life/protection): cloaks unit in an aura of light which provides bonus to ac and saves. Damages undead units that strike the target in melee.
    Damage Loop via circle change
    Circles: ?, Protection
    Description: A spell that is cast on a single unit. Each time the unit is about to take damage, the one doing the damage must roll a will save. If it fails, he takes the damage instead.
    Resurrection via circle change
    Circles: Life / ?
    Description: Target dead Hero is brought back to life at the caster's summoning circle.
    Resist Elements via circle change
    Circles: ? / Augmentation
    Description: Target unit gains +3 to all saves vs any elemental effect.
    Life Force and here
    Life / Protection
    Any Death spell cast by an opposing Wizard has a X strength Dispel cast upon it. Existing enchantments are unaffected. (Actually it worked more like a barrier. Instant spells would fizzle too.)
    Call to Arms and here
    (Life, Protection) : when a city you control is attacked, one low-level unit is created to defend it, every three population point of the city. If the unit is destroyed, the city loses one population point.
    Circle of Protection and here
    Life/Protection
    Small AoE: Creates a protective circle around a single square until end of encounter. Any unit standing in the protected square has a high bonus to defense, saves and immunity to non-magical weapons. Leaving the circle instantly removes these benefits.

Notes: Low cost. Extremely powerful defense but you can't move and in worst case scenario you are just shielding your foe since it's not invulnerability! Cast smartly or don't cast at all! Very good for sorcerer lords whose units are outnumbered and who need time to cast devastating battlefield changing spells.
    Bless and here
    Life / Protection
    Unit Enchantment
    Target unit receives +X AC and +Y to all saves vs Negative Energy units and effects.
    Angelic Pact and here
    Circles: Life / Protection (or maybe just Life, as a Tier 9 spell)
    Description: Every time one of your unit is killed in battle, it respawns in your summoning circle at the end of the battle. You must pay a mana cost equal to the unit's building or summoning cost, if you can't pay, the unit isn't respawned. The unit keeps its experience points and special abilities (like magical weapons if it was built in a city with an alchemist guild) but loses all unit enchantements and items.
    Consecration
    Life/Prot
    City Enchantment: Attempts to counter any curse targeting the shielded city or units within. Additionally each turn there's a chance for a corrupted tile to be purified and to dispel negative enchantments affecting target city and defending units.

Notes: Life city shield. It counters and dispels curses from city and units. It affects only enchantments. The difference to original is that it attempts to counter and remove city spells like famine, cursed lands & negative unit enchantments etc regardless of sphere but does nothing to spells like ice storm or call the void that are pure destruction.
    Bestow Resistance and here
    Life/Protection
    Enchanted unit bestows its resistance to all other units in the stack. If the enchanted unit has an immunity, it'll only bestow a resistance. (Example : if enchanted unit had life resistance and fire immunity, it would grant life resistance and fire resistance to the whole stack).
    Shared Destiny and here
    Life/Protection
    The figures of enchanted units are linked together magically, and none will die when at least one still stands. Enchanted multi-figure unit will fight at full strength until it's totally destroyed.
    Lesser Disaster Shield and here
    Life or Earth/Protection
    Enchanted city and its area of influence has its resistance to natural disasters (earthquakes, meteor showers, volcanos, etc.) increased by 50% [including those caused by spells].
    Greater Disaster Shield and here
    Life or Earth/Protection
    Enchanted city and its area of influence are immune to natural disasters [including those caused by spells].
    Life Ward and here and here and here
    MoM spell was Spell Ward... I propose 6 versions...
    Life Ward / Death Ward / etc...
    <Opposite Element> / Protection
    City Enchantment
    Summoned units of named Element cannot enter target city.
    Wall of Lightning
    Circles: Fire or Life/Protection
    Effect: As wall of fire except damage is doubled and is lightning damage instead of fire damage.

As we continue working on the factions, we're getting a good number of units with the Wall Crusher ability. There needs to be a way to protect your walls at the end-game stage. I believe we discussed Wall of Fire in the past, so this is the upgrade spell. It should have a hefty mana upkeep since it is so powerful, but I feel enchantments like this are going to be necessary for high level play.
    Sacred Ground
    Life/Protection

Creates a barrier that undead/constructs/summons can't cross.

Also can function as a strategic spell.

Tier1:
    Tier 2:
    Tier 3:
    Tier 4:
    Tier 5:
    Tier 6:
    Tier7:
    Tier 8:
    Mana Shield and here and here
    Circles: Life, Protection
    Descriptor: -
    Tier: 8
    Research Cost: 3600
    Casting Cost: 360
    Power Increase Cost: 180
    Area of Effect: Caster
    Duration: Persistent
    Maintenance Cost: 7 Mana Per Turn
    Spell Resistance: No
    Allows Savings Throw: No
    Applicable Saving Throw: -
    Saving Throw Effect: -
    Effect: All spells cast against target cost the caster 1.5X as much mana as normal.
    Increase Effect: Each increase makes the spell more difficult to dispel.

Protects the casting Sorcerer Lord from enemy spells. Any enemy Sorcerer Lord casting a spell that targets the casting Sorcerer Lord (including cities and units under his control) must pay 1.5X the normal mana cost of the spell. The spell persists as long as the maintenance cost is paid until it is cancelled or dispelled.
    Last edited by jamoecw; 02-20-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Battlemage
    Hasn't made yet to the list but:

Holy Aura (life/protection): cloaks unit in an aura of light which provides bonus to ac and saves. Damages undead units that strike the target in melee.

Planar Seal (life/prot): stops movement between planes.

Wall of Force (life/prot): creates a wall of force or makes existing wall harder to destroy.
    Last edited by Beregar; 02-11-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Mage’s Assistant
    My suggestions:
    Tier 1: Bless, Circle of Protection
    Tier 2: Life Ward, Holy Aura
    Tier 3: Lesser Disaster Shield
    Tier 4: Ward from Undead
    Tier 5: Greater Disaster Shield
    Tier 6: Sacred Ground
    Tier 7: Wall of lightning

I like Angelic Pact as a tier 9 Life

Planar Seal definitely needs to be in. It was uncommon in MoM, here with more planes it has to be higher, T6 or more.
    Tier 1: Bless
    that's an easy one.

Tier 1: Circle of Protection
    I like this spell, but it might be too powerful for T1.

Holy Aura
    A bit too similar to Bless for me.
    Tier 3: Lesser Disaster Shield
    Tier 5: Greater Disaster Shield
    Two spells just varying in power is too much.

Tier 4: Ward from Undead
    Looks alright.

Tier 7: Wall of lightning
    Lightning = Air, not Life.

I like Angelic Pact as a tier 9 Life
    I like it too.

Overall I think Life/Protection shouldn't be all about anti-undead.

Battlemage
    I don't like to split split spells between lesser and greater versions. It feels like lazy designing aka "i can't figure out a spell to this spot so let's just add same spell to two spots!". If you want a power scaling add power slider.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

My list would be:

1st: holy aura (unit), shared destiny (unit)
    2nd: wall of force (wall enchantment), ward from undead (battlefield)
    3rd: circle of protection (battlefield tile)
    4th: consecration (city)
    5th: sacred ground (city)
    6th: angelic pact (unit)
    7th: life force (global)
    8th: planar seal (global)

Bless as augmentation since I go by DnD bless definition which is +attack & saves so I prefer holy aura

Ward from undead is limited so I don't see it as third tier material as it is potentially useless

Sacred ground as a city spell instead of battlefield and I'll buy it.

Angelic pact as single unit enchantment otherwise too powerful. I assume it can affect heroes as well as top tier units!

Planar seal takes top tier spot but maybe it should prevent movement from and to the plane it was cast on

I think life is missing a spell that grants immunity to death spells and effects and energy drain if it exists.

edit: misread shared destiny. Actually quite weak!
    Last edited by Beregar; 02-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Protection From Evil should really be one of the spells in this circle combo..

Mage’s Assistant
    Ok for Holy Aura instead of Bless, Angelic Pact is a good spot for tier 9. I like Beregar list for the rest, not sure about Shared Destiny... With tier 6 free now we could put an Immunity to Death spells for x rounds Small AoE?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Also, since when has Holy Aura been a first circle spell? That thing is level 8 in DnD. It's quite powerful.

Battlemage
    Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Also, since when has Holy Aura been a first circle spell? That thing is level 8 in DnD. It's quite powerful.
    Yep but it's obviously not DnD holy aura. Not as it's described.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Protection From Evil should really be one of the spells in this circle combo..
    Hmm but how would it work if we strip the evil part? No sphere is supposed to be good or evil. Should it target only undead or also aberrations? Do we have aberrations in game? demons? Charm immunity is powerful element too so it would be at least second level.

another proposed list:

Tier 1: Bless (ST, bonus to AC and saves), ?*
    Tier 2: Wall of Force (S, improves walls toughness), Resist Elements (ST, elemental damage reduction)
    Tier 3: Circle of Protection (T, units on selected tile get high defensive bonuses)
    Tier 4: Death Ward (high bonuses vs. undead, immunity to death effects)
    Tier 5: Sacred Ground (ST, a wall undead/summons cannot cross)
    Tier 6: Cleanse Magic (T, new one: removes all negative enchantments from caster's units)
    Tier 7: Planar Seal (S, locks planar travelling)
    Tier 8: Mana Shield (S)

* no idea: shared destiny would fit, but I'm not sure about it, disaster shield could work too in some way, but its effets would be invisible to the player, call to arms?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast