Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Protection/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Mage’s Assistant
    +1 to this

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Looks good to me!

Was Sacred Ground clarified? Does it have a duration, or a Save to push through, or... anything like that? I remember we started talking about it, but I don't remember finishing.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    +1 for that list.

Battlemage
    I'll +1 as well

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    +1 to Hoverdog's newest list as well, but Wall of Force? "Forcefield" really? WoM will be laughed at for that spell.

I kinda think that might fit better in Earth / Protection anyway.

What about "Infusion - Infuse any unit or barrier with a small amount of HP"

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Wall of Force is an actual DnD spell. I fail to see the issue with using it's name.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Well, WoM isn't an actual D&D game - we're just borrowing the system because it's open-source.

I have to say, Amp, that's a funny +1, though. "+1 to me! We'll be a laughingstock, but..." <grin> Not making fun of you, it just made me smile. I do agree that strengthening a wall feels more like Earth to me than Life, though.

What's the deal with `wall toughness', anyway? Do walls basically have HP that certain things can attack? (If so, that city-attacking plant spell whose name is up in the air in Life/Destruction should definitely weaken the Wall Toughness of the city it's cast on; it'd make it a good precursor spell to an attack on a given city, which would be cool.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    How does this look like:

Tier 1: Bless (ST, bonus to AC and saves), Wall of Force (S, improves walls toughness)
    Tier 2: Resist Elements (ST, elemental damage reduction), Circle of Protection (T, units on selected tile get high defensive bonuses)
    Tier 3: Death Ward (S?T, high bonuses vs. undead, immunity to death effects)
    Tier 4: Consecration (S, protects a city from negative spells, cleanses corruption)
    Tier 5: Sacred Ground (ST, a wall undead/summons cannot cross)
    Tier 6: Cleanse Magic (T, new one: removes all negative enchantments from caster's units)
    Tier 7: Planar Seal (S, locks planar travelling)
    Tier 8: Mana Shield (S)
    +1 to this list, although I would prefer Forcefield to Wall of Force as far as the spell name goes.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

We could change the name somehow, but not to Forcefield, as Forcefield for me is a field - it would go as a spell that makes an X on X area impassable.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    If it's going to be Life/Protection, it needs a name and flavor that feel like it's working through Life magic, rather than just strengthening the stone which is definitely Earth.

Hearthguard? And perhaps the amount by which it strengthens the wall is actually derived from the City's population? That makes it feel like it's using the life energy of the city to protect it.

Edit - Walls themselves are a minor enough effect that even at Tier 1, I think this should be a stackable effect with or without an actual wall - ie, if you just use Hearthguard and have no wall, it gives you a kind of ghostly wall that isn't very strong; if you build a wall and use Hearthguard, your wall is shiny and stronger than usual. For a Capital City, Hearthguard's wall might actually equate to a regular stone wall, and Hearthguard + A Real Wall would be almost impossible to knock down.
    Last edited by Lintking; 02-17-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast