Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summoning/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar

Post Summoning/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Unplaced:
    GuardianForce and here and here
    Circles:Life, Summoning
    Description: The wizard summons a powerfulbenevolent being on the battlefield, which shields his units frommagical effects. While the Guardian is on the battlefield, allfriendly units receive a +2 to saving throws. Units in the Guardian'sAoE receive the benefits of his aura. The Guardian's aura acts as ashield, with a chance of dispelling incoming spell effects. (Thismeans if a Fireball is cast that would encompass units in theGuardian's aura, only the spell effect inside the aura is canceled.Units outside the aura would still have to save for half.) The auraworks like Counter Magic, blocking even spells that have no savingthrow.
    Healer Familiar
    modified arisen spirit. Healer Familiar is a unit enchantment that gives the unit ability to heal similarly to how high men clerics do.
    Settle Down
    new idea: strategic unit enchantment or instant: a summoned creature no longer is "summoned", meaning that it won't be affected by spell that affect summons. additional it could transform mana upkeep to food or gold. It's kind of a wild idea, but I think it fits Life.

Arisen Spirit
    Arisen Spirit is a new spell I invented for tier 1. It summons a minor being of positive energy that can lay on hands to friendly units to heal them, and cast disrupt undead, but other then that isn't of huge use in combat

AncestorSpirits
    Circles: Death, Summoning
    Description: Solong as the spell is maintained, all of your cities will have aspecial ancestor spirit unit to defend them from attacks. Either theunit is a generic one, or is the highest level unit that has everbeen produced by that city and died(their ghosts defend theinhabitants. So if you built an elf archer unit in the city, itgained Elite level but died later, it would serve as thedefender).

This is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure aboutthe Death Circle. Believe it or not I think I would put it in Life.It strikes me as calling up “noble” undeadprotectors.
    banishment
    (usuallyits summoning circle, life has improved anti-demon -undeadversion)
    portalto ...
    summoning + element/life/death
    strategyc
    createportal from city to other plane, depend on knowning element, life(pos. plane) or death (neg. plane), or it apropiate for cleansummoning circle?, lover requirements and cost from pure summoningcircle astral gate that lead to anyplane
    Entangle
    Life+ Summoning = Entangle (or maybe earth instead of life, I'm not sureon plant related spells).

summonAngels
    Elementalcircle + Summoning= Fire/Air/Earth/etc Elementals (Using justsummoning you could create astral constructs or something like that).For life and death you could summon Angels, Ghouls,etc.

GoldenDawn
    (Life, Summoning)
    Summon a tide of positiveenergy that will strike all units on the battlefield at the beginningof their player's turn for the rest of the fight. (BattlefieldEnchantment)
    SummonDoritos
    Circles: Life / Summoning
    Description:Summon massive amounts of Doritos (Cool Ranch or Nacho, chosen attime of casting) to stave off the munchies. Also cures Stonedstate.
    SummonChickens
    Circles: Life/Summoning
    Description:Causesa large flock of chickens to be spawned. Said chickens provide x foodwhen killed, with X being the killing units level +1.
    SummonBig Chicken
    Circles: Summoning/Life
    Description:Create a Giant Chicken that can be killed for food or be used as ablockade against grounded units.
    Ronaa'sYoke and here
    Summoning/ Life
    The caster's summoned units gain +X to all saving throws,+2X to Will saves.
    -or-
    Summoning spells cost 20% less to castand the summons summoned while Ronaa's Yoke is in effect gain +XHP.
    FallingStars and here
    Circles:Life / Summoning
    Description: Each turn there's a chance that a"star" falls to a random unoccupied map tile. The fallingstar turns out to be a feature from following list:

celestialproxy (i.e. angel)
    eldritch horror from beyond the stars (okay,just an imprisoned demon)
    starmetal (i.e. iron, mithril oradmantine)
    gems
    mana crystals
    magic item
    ancient temple(it got planeshifted!)
    legendary hero Kal-El

Notes: Ithink ore, gems, and mana crystals have to be veins unless they canalso exist as free floating resources?
    Warriorsof Doom via circlechange
    Circles: Summoning, Destruction
    Description:Summons a group of fabled warriors from the ends of the world, cladin magical armor, wielding magical weapons.
    Astralgate
    (life/summoning): connect two cities on anyplane.
    Resurrection and here
    (life/summoning):I still think this should besummoning.
    Tether
    Life/Summoning,Unit Enchantment: Makes a Summoned Unit more resistant to any kind ofun-summoning effect; the Summoner's equivalent to SpellLock.
    Clone
    Life/Summoning,Tactical or Strategic: Creates an exact duplicate of a Normal Unit.(So if a Unit has taken damage, the Clone will be, too.) CastTactically, the Clone will disappear at the end of battle; castStrategically, it's just like building one in acity.
    ElementalShift
    [Element]/Summoning, Strategic: Moves a Unit tothe corresponding Elemental Plane. If the Planes have survivalconcerns (like, you have to be able to Fly in the Plane of Air, orFire burns, or what have you), the spell grants whatever is neededfor that (so Air Shift takes a Unit to the Plane of Air, and grantsit Flying for as long as the spell is maintained. Water Shift takesthem to the Plane of Water and gives them Waterbreathing.Etc.)
    Rally
    Life/Summoning,Tactical: Gathers all of your units around a chosen spot. (Would berestricted to your `area', like on-field Summonings were in MoM, butcould still be used to cross a lot of the distance quickly if you'refacing a lot of archers or whatnot. Could also be used to instantlysurround a powerful enemy unit. We have Flanking, don'twe?)

Tier1:
    SummonGuardian Light
    Tactical

Descriptor: -
    Tier: 1
    Research Cost:100
    Casting Cost: 10
    Power Increase Cost: -
    Area of Effect:-
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Spell Resistance: No
    AllowsSavings Throw: No
    Applicable Saving Throw: -
    Saving ThrowEffect: -
    Effect: Summons a guardian light.
    Increase Effect:-
    Strategic

Circles: Life, Summoning
    Tier:1
    Research Cost: 100
    Casting Cost: 30
    Power Increase Cost:-
    Area of Effect: -
    Duration: Persistent
    Maintenance Cost: 1Mana Per Turn
    Allows Savings Throw:No
    Saving Throw Effect: -
    Effect:Summons a guardian light.
    Increase Effect: -
    Deadly Illusions
    (The effect is subtle and often irrelevant, so a low-Tier works, but the effect is like bringing something to life, or at least closer to life, so I think Life is a good fit for it. And it's a cool idea to suddenly make your Phantom Warriors work against things that are immune to Illusions, or have True Sight. Imagine their surprise when it turns out that actually, just the swords were real!)

Tier2:
    SummonArchon
    (life/summon): summons a houndarchon
    Word of Recall
    Blink
    (Unit Enchantment that allows `short range' - ie, battlefield-sized - teleports)
    SummonAvoral
    (life/summon): summons a bird-likecelestial

Tier3:
    Teleport
    (Strategic level teleport to move a unit stack some distance overland)

Tier 4:
    SummonUnicorns
    Tactical

Tier: 4
    Research Cost:1000
    Casting Cost: 100
    Area ofEffect: -
    Effect: Summons a unit of unicorns.
    Strategic

Tier:4
    Research Cost: 1000
    Casting Cost: 300
    Maintenance Cost: 4Mana Per Turn
    Effect:Summons a unit of unicorns.

Tier5:
    SummonAngel
    Tactical

Tier: 5
    Research Cost:1500
    Casting Cost: 150
    Effect: Summons an angel.
    Strategic

Tier:5
    Research Cost: 1500
    Casting Cost: 450
    Maintenance Cost: 4Mana Per Turn
    Effect:Summons an angel.

Tier6:
    SummonCouatl
    (life/summon): summons a sorcerous featheredserpent
    Hostile Juxtaposition
    (as noted, it's not really where I'd put it, but that's OK, it does work. And as I understand the spell, it's a Unit Enchant that stays around and gives a near perfect defense to a single attack, so that's pretty good - Tier 6 works.)

<Element> Spirit
    <Element> / Summoning : <Element> Spirit, average

Tier7:
    SummonArchangel
    Tactical

Tier: 7
    Research Cost:2800
    Casting Cost: 280
    Effect: Summons an archangel.
    Strategic

Tier:7
    Research Cost: 2800
    Casting Cost: 840
    Maintenance Cost:10 Mana Per Turn
    Effect:Summons an archangel.

SummonDeva
    (life/summon): powerful celestialproxy

Tier8:
    SummonArchangel
    (life/summon) --> moved as top tier unit
    Ancestral Spirits
    (I loved that one; raising spiritual guardians over all of your cities sounds like a great step up from Archangel, and potentially frees you up from the obligatory garrison units - an excellent end-game effect to let a lot more of your army mobilize. It should impact your Unrest that way, too. Also, it really has that epic feeling that came with some of the top-level MoM spells.)
    Last edited by jamoecw; 02-14-2014 at 11:07 PM.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Please fix the font color.. this is unreadable.

Edit : Thank you.
    Last edited by Happerry; 02-12-2014 at 12:59 AM.

sometimes when i post it comes out black, so i just edit the color to white, then back to auto, and it ends up fixed, but as it always starts as auto i never know what color it will be when it first gets posted (i think there was one of these posts i haven't had to fix thus far).

Do we really need this thread, though? Hoverdog's Summoning Circle thread would seem to already do what this is meant to do..

Mage’s Assistant
    To be honest of all Summoning circles the Summoning/Life is the poorest one with just:
    Summon Guardian 1
    Summon Unicorns 4
    Summon Angel 5
    Summon Archangel 7

And last comment was to not add any more Unit Summons... I still think at least another one like a Summon Couatl at tier 6 would be perfect or instead a Summon Archon at tier 2/3 to cover the missing summons at lower tiers...
    Last edited by alghero; 02-12-2014 at 10:07 PM.

That's the uniqueness of Life magic: while other schools lean more on summons, Life focuses on normal units, with a lot of spells that provide assistance and boost them, and even the few summons it has are more support units than mainline fighters.

Remember that in MoM Life also had only four summons.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    On one hand, I agree wholeheartedly; on the other hand, MoM didn't have a whole set of spells devoted to Summoning, and it does kind of seem like if you put Circles into Summoning, you probably want to Summon things.

If I understand it, though, if someone puts, say, four Circles into Life and four into Summoning, they actually get all of the Summoning Spells up to 4th Tier -- is that right? So as it stands right now, somebody who did that could use Phantom Warriors and Skeletons and Zombies and Fire Elementals and Shambling Mounds and... and all of that, even though they don't have Water or Death or Fire, because they meet those requirements just on the Summoning side -- and then they could also Summon Angels and Archangels because they would add up to those.

And if I am following that right, then the Life track being a bit shy of Summons-per-se isn't a really big problem because it's only going to much limit someone who does, say, Life 7/Summoning 1. Who will still have Phantom Warriors and Skeletons and Zombies and Owl Bears and Slime and Sprites, so even that's not so bad, and that arrangement suggests somebody who wants a focus on Life magic with just a touch of Summoning. If anything, the Summoning field in general feels a little bit obsessed with just summoning things to me... but I suppose that's not totally unjustifiable...

Indeed, it works just as you wrote.

If anything, the Summoning field in general feels a little bit obsessed with just summoning things to me
    You could also say that Destruction feels obsessed with blowing things up and Protection with, uh, protecting

ancestor spirits is kinda different for summoning, which is good, and tether is a good summon buff to mix things up. clone, resurrection, and astral gate are very different than your normal summons which is good. life being on the light side of actual summons seems good to me.

I like Planar Bubble myself. But it kinda strikes me more as a protection spell..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast