Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Destruction/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar

Post Destruction/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Unplaced:
    Shock bolt
    : (Life or Fire/Destruction) deals 1 electrical damage +1dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    Consecrate Earth via sphere change
    (life/biomancy): Removes corrupted tiles and fills the area with positive energy that reduces unrest of any city within range. --> I first added features like heals units, and improves resistance against death magic but that's not something a terraforming spell should do so I removed it.

cleanse
    global, removes corruption from a tile on the overland map
    wholesome radiance
    city, removes corruption in an area around city, in a pattern similar to the building of the unhallowed that spread coruption

True Conviction
    (T, damage dealt by units you control is increased by 50% for the rest of combat [I could see an argument that this is really an aumentation spell, but so many arguments could be made for that circle. Since this spell deals with killing things, I think it should be considered for the destruction circle])
    Heavenly Light
    (S, Global Enchantment, each turn the corrupted square nearest one of your cities (if a tie, the computer decides randomly) on each plane is uncorrpted [idea is to destroy corruption], if you do not have a city on a plane, then it uncorrupts a random square.)
    Demystify
    (TS, attempts to destroy all magical aspect of an artifact held by target hero. Artifact gets a save based on its creator's resistance [I feel we need some spell that tries to interact with artifacts, and it should be a rather high level spell since it takes a lot to make an artifact])

lense of wrath
    tactical, for the remainder of battle all healing spells heal 3x the normal amount, however the unit healed must make a fort save or take 3x the new healed amount as damage.

True Light and here via circle change
    Life / Biomancy
    Battlefield Enchantment
    All units imbued with Positive Energy gain +1 to all combat stats (not base Str/Dex etc). All unit imbued with Negative Energy lose -1 to all combat stats.

Sunbeam
    Evocation [Light]
    Level: Drd 7, Sun 7
    Components: V, S, DF
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 60 ft.
    Area: Line from your hand
    Duration: 1 round/level or until all beams are exhausted
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates and Reflex half; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    For the duration of this spell, you can use a standard action to evoke a dazzling beam of intense light each round. You can call forth one beam per three caster levels (maximum six beams at 18th level). The spell ends when its duration runs out or your allotment of beams is exhausted.

Each creature in the beam is blinded and takes 4d6 points of damage. Any creatures to which sunlight is harmful or unnatural take double damage. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.

An undead creature caught within the beam takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 20d6), or half damage if a Reflex save is successful. In addition, the beam results in the destruction of any undead creature specifically harmed by bright light if it fails its save.

The ultraviolet light generated by the spell deals damage to fungi, mold, oozes, and slimes just as if they were undead creatures.

Disrupt Undead
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    You direct a ray of positive energy. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit, and if the ray hits an undead creature, it deals 1d6 points of damage to it.

Entangle
    Transmutation
    Level: Drd 1, Plant 1, Rgr 1
    Components: V, S, DF
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Area: Plants in a 40-ft.-radius spread
    Duration: 1 min./level (D)
    Saving Throw: Reflex partial; see text
    Spell Resistance: No
    Grasses, weeds, bushes, and even trees wrap, twist, and entwine about creatures in the area or those that enter the area, holding them fast and causing them to become entangled. The creature can break free and move half its normal speed by using a full-round action to make a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 20 Escape Artist check. A creature that succeeds on a Reflex save is not entangled but can still move at only half speed through the area. Each round on your turn, the plants once again attempt to entangle all creatures that have avoided or escaped entanglement.

Note: The effects of the spell may be altered somewhat, based on the nature of the entangling plants.

Blistering Radiance and here and here
    Life/Biomancy
    Small AoE: Orb of blistering heat and light covers target square until end of encounter. All units within the orb are blinded and suffer moderate fire damage. All units in adjacent squares have a penalty to their hit but do not take any damage. Unhallowed units in the area take extra damage from the positive energy infused within the orb.

Notes: Original was too similar to unbearable light and I noticed life kind of lacks damage spell suggestions. At the same time I didn't want this to be a complete cloud of embers clone.

Radiant Sphere
    (small aoe): persistent light moves around the battlefield blinding units where it stops
    Unbearable light
    (battlefield): battlefield enchantment which deals continuous damage to undead
    Sunburst
    (Medium Aoe): burst of radiant light blinds living foes within its area
    Holy Word
    (battlefield): attempts to destroy all summoned and undead units on battlefield

invigor weeds
    city enchantment, doubles the upkeep of buildings, decrease unrest by 1.
    divine eclipse
    tactical, for 1 turn debuffs are weakened, buffs are strengthened, magical attacks are nullified, and healing is supercharged.
    lunar radiance
    positive and negative energy effects are halved, life and death creatures weakened.

Holy Smite
    Evocation [Good]
    Level: Good 4
    Components: V, S
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Area: 20-ft.-radius burst
    Duration: Instantaneous (1 round); see text
    Saving Throw: Will partial; see text
    You draw down holy power to smite your enemies. Only evil and neutral creatures are harmed by the spell; good creatures are unaffected.

The spell deals 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8) to each evil creature in the area (or 1d6 points of damage per caster level, maximum 10d6, to an evil outsider) and causes it to become blinded for 1 round. A successful Will saving throw reduces damage to half and negates the blinded effect.

The spell deals only half damage to creatures who are neither good nor evil, and they are not blinded. Such a creature can reduce that damage by half (down to one-quarter of the roll) with a successful Will save.
    Lightning bolt
    (Life or Fire/Destruction) deals 10 electrical damage +2dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    Slimewave
    Circle: Water+Life+Destruction
    Type: Strategic
    Cost: High
    Upkeep: Low
    Description: Transforms a lake tile on the world map into an army of slimes of all kinds, under the rule of the wizard.
    break the node (element variants)
    specific element/life/death+destruction
    strategic
    if nodes are cracks into planes (i think i saw somewhere idea of skill that use nodes as portal in planes), than break them more to increase amount of energy that get in world, more mana from owned nodes of specific type (http://wastelands-interactive.com/me...ne_gate_master)
    Surge Ball and here
    (Life or Fire/Destruction) deals 15 electrical damage +2dmg for every 5 extra mana spent to all units in a 5x5 area.
    Energy Beam as this
    Name: <Element> Bolt
    Circle: <Element> / Destruction
    Description: Deal X elemental damage to a single unit. Add Y damage per Z additional mana spent.

(Life) -- +% chance of blind effect
    Overload Soul and here
    Circles: Life / Destruction
    Description: Infuse a living creature with immense amounts of Positive Energy, causing them to explode from the sheer lifeforce they now possess. (Positive Energy can actually canonically do this if you get to much of it...)

Per Happerry, this spell does a large amount of damage and only explodes the target if the damage kills.
    Starstorm and here
    Circles: Life / Destruction
    Description: Invoke the power of the skies above to summon a storm of falling stars, that deal both positive and fire damage, to come upon the battlefield. The caster can target the first falling star, but from then on at the start of his turn a new falling star will strike a random location on the battlefield. (Battlefield Enchantment)

Tier1:
    Tier 2:
    Tier 3:
    Exorcism
    A singe target tactical spell that attempts to destroy all enchantments on the targeted unit.
    Light of Truth
    A Save or Die verses illusions

Tier 4:
    Tier 5:
    Tier 6:
    Tier7:
    Tier 8:
    Thorns of Retribution
    Unit Enchantment. Causes thorns to burst from the target's skin. The target unit loses 1 HP (per figure) permanently (well, as long as the spell is Maintained), but gains a bonus to Will and Fort saves for being accustomed to the pain, and causes automatic damage to any unit engaged them in melee combat (attack and counterattack).
    Last edited by jamoecw; 02-19-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Mage’s Assistant
    I don't really feel the lightning bolts be a Life/Destruction thing... Lintking had some ideas for this thread, this instead is an explanation from Aaron that can help someone to add more spells:
    The Life/Destruction combo is a little difficult. Spells that use positive energy to destroy aren't all that common in standard fantasy lore. Still, it's a good place to explore anti-Unhallowed magic. We can also look at Life's descriptors:

Creation
    Healing
    Holy (Good)
    Light
    Protection
    Resurrection
    Soothing
    Truth

Holy and Light stand out as possibly being Destructive. Even Healing and Resurrection can destroy undead. Spells that are anti-death-summons and anti-chaos-summons could also fit in here. (I know Earth is order, but as Demons can represent chaos I think Life is a good circles for anti-demon Destruction spells.)
    Slimewave I think Hoverdog suggested to put it in Earth/Biomancy

Of those I like Overload Soul as a tier 4/5 and Starstorm as tier 6/7 (it's random from the second onwards so can damage anyone, not so powerful to go above 7).
    Energy beam is a good tier 2 with a limit to mana that can be spent and break the node I didn't understand its use. Is it to avoid Gate Masters to use nodes to cross planes?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Holy Smite would be a good Life/Destruction Spell too..

Quote Originally Posted by alghero View Post
    Energy beam is a good tier 2 with a limit to mana that can be spent and break the node I didn't understand its use. Is it to avoid Gate Masters to use nodes to cross planes?
    i read it as simply boosting the power gained from nodes of a specific element. spellcaster suggested it, and he doesn't post very often, he might not even be a backer (and thus not be able to see this thread), so who knows if he'll show up to clarify.

I read it as increasing node's power gain myself.. Didn't really like it though.

Lightning bolts (and indeed electrical damage overall) are much more Air than Life.

Destruction + Life is definitely one of the trickiest combinations, as its connected damage type (positive energy) actually heals most creatures and work normally only on undead.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Holy Smite would be a good Life/Destruction Spell too..
    This will be definitely in.

Overload Soul
    This one's tricky. It might work if done right.

Starstorm
    We might have to do something about positive energy, but it's good.

Guys, remember that Destruction doesn't need to be direct damage, debuffs and even buffs if justified can work.

For Overload Soul, since people seemed confused on how it works in the thread, It's based on this paragraph in the Dungeon Master's Guide about positive energy planes, page 149.

Simply being on the plane grants fast healing 5 as an extraordinary ability. In addition, those at full hit points gain 5 additional temporary hit points per round. These temporary hit points fade 1d20 rounds after the creature leaves the major positive-dominant plane. However, a creature must make a DC 20 Fortitude save each round that its temporary hit points exceed its normal hit point total. Failing the saving throw results in the creature exploding in a riot of energy, killing it.
    As such, it whacks the target with extreme amounts of positive energy, which then force said target to take those fort checks, and hopefully explode. Of course, if they make the fort check, they've both been healed and likely have a lot of temp HP..

Of course, it can be adjusted as needed to fit mechanics in WOM.

(And maybe you want to use it on your own high level units when they're almost dead, because it is a big heal stick if the target makes the fort check and doesn't die, and if your almost dead then hopefully you won't get so healed you wrap around to the risk of exploding..)

Battlemage
    Here are my proposals:

Tier1:
    Tier2: Radiant sphere (unit/AoE)
    Tier3:
    Tier4: Sunburst (AoE)
    Tier5: Unbearable Light (battlefield)
    Tier6: Starstorm (battlefield/overland)
    Tier7: Holy Word (battlefield)
    Tier8:

Radiant Sphere (small aoe): persistent light moves around the battlefield blinding units where it stops
    Unbearable light (battlefield): battlefield enchantment which deals continuous damage to undead
    Sunburst (Medium Aoe): burst of radiant light blinds living foes within its area
    Holy Word (battlefield): attempts to destroy all summoned and undead units on battlefield

Optimally I would like holy word to attempt to destroy all outsider (not native to material plane) type units in addition to undead and summons.

I would like star storm to be both tactical and overland!

How would holy smite work since life is not good in WoM world? It just smites all enemies in area for nonspecified damage? Do units have races?

I would like to see tier 8 to be some sort of global spell
    Last edited by Beregar; 02-12-2014 at 06:05 PM.

invigor weeds: city enchantment, doubles the upkeep of buildings, decrease unrest by 1.

blessed sun: (augmentation) global, all units heal faster while spell is active, speed of healing is based on how arid the terrain is (lots for deserts).

divine eclipse: tactical, for 1 turn debuffs are weakened, buffs are strengthened, magical attacks are nullified, and healing is supercharged.

lunar radiance: positive and negative energy effects are halved, life and death creatures weakened.

@happerry - i love mixing good with bad, so i like your life overload spell. maybe make the save dependant on how injured the unit is, more injury, the easier/lower the save.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

beregar had these in hs list:
    Life/Destruction
    - sunbeam (life/des): +damage undead, +destroy undead
    - sunburst (life/des): +AoE2, +damage undead, +blind1
    - radiant sphere (life/des): +AoE1/2, +damage undead, +blindness, persists
    - true light (life/des): +battlefield, +damage undead, +dispel concealment
    - holy word (life/des): +battlefield, +destroy undead, +banish summoned
    - pillar of heavens (life/des): +overland/tact, +AoE2, +dam undead, +purify --> hybrid "storm"

for life/destruction i didn't find any actual post for some of them though. i didn't add them to the list since they are in shorthand, though it seems simple enough.
    Last edited by jamoecw; 02-13-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Mage’s Assistant
    From Biomancy we decided to move Blistering Radiance here, if we could fit it here somewhere...
    So doing a recap, we would have
    Tier 1: Divine Eclipse? (for only one turn this seems a good position, useful in certain situations and you don't want to spend too much time to have it, also maybe not too useful in later game)
    Tier 2: Energy beam? Radiant Sphere?
    Tier 4: Sunburst?
    Tier 5: Holy Smite?
    Tier 6: Overload Soul?
    Tier 7: Blessed Sun?
    Tier 8: Holy Word? (seems a little too powerful the destruction, maybe only of low tier units and damage on higher units? Of course if they don't pass the save)

I'm missing at which stage you would use Invigor weeds?? At early stage when you have few buildings? Or at later stage when you are really rich and you don't care about money?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast