Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summoning/Life spells tiers 1 - 8

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    not sure why it is in the list, doesn't say it is for life. just did a search, and yes it was a mistake on my part, it doesn't seem to have ever been suggested for life.

Mage’s Assistant
    Lintking you convinced me. Let's finish Biomancy, Augmentation and Protection and see what is left there that could suit here.
    Clone, Banishment and Resurrection a must for Life/Summoning.
    What about Teleport? Doesn't it look good here?

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I think strategical teleports would mosty fit better with air or water. Tactical ones, on the other hand...

Anyway, have a list from me.

To qoute hoverdog, life has 'Life: one 1st, two 2nd, one 3rd, 6th, 8th' left open, so I'll focus on those.

First Tier : Arisen Spirit

Arisen Spirit is a new spell I invented for tier 1. It summons a minor being of positive energy that can lay on hands to friendly units to heal them, and cast disrupt undead, but other then that isn't of huge use in combat.

Second Tier : Swap and Guardian Force

Swap simply switches one of your units and one of their units in position. Originally this was Hostile Juxtaposition, but I couldn't fit it in at a higher rank without taking down something else I wanted up there, and then I decided it would be much simpler if it just swapped positions because then I could put it lower, so.. Swap.

Guardian Force is both a standby from Masters of Magic, and it's Protection Bubble
    is a useful effect that will keep enemies from devastating your units. In my opinion the Protection Bubble's dispel effect is different enough from the Guardian Light's saving throw buff we can put both in. (And if we can't Guardian Force has way more history and a cooler mechanic then 'everyone gets a buff')

Third Tier : Sever the Bond
    A save or be banished spell for summons. Since this is life, maybe it can be renamed 'Lay to Rest' and work better on undead summons?

Sixth Tier : Ronaa's Yoke
    A powerful strategic buff, as explained in the spell description.

Eighth Tier : Teleportation Circle
    A city enchantment that allows any unit within a city enchanted by this spell to freely teleport to any other city also enchanted with this spell. It may not be able to bypass a planar sealing, but it is still a very powerful strategic tool.

Mage’s Assistant
    I like Happerry list, but we are missing Resurrection. I can't see in any other thread and if we don't put it here I'm afraid is gone from Life...
    For Teleportation Circle: I like it, we could consider to lower the upkeep of the magic to add a cost to each unit transported that way. This to avoid mass deportation of units in one single turn... Still powerful enough tuning cost and upkeep.
    Arisen Spirit gives me a great idea, if we can't add new summoned units, we can keep same concept described by Happerry but instead using it as a unit enchantment. To explain it better, it will be a Spirit summoned on top of another unit, that will heal that unit and maybe give some other small bonus (dunno, a chance to blind enemies in melee?) but at the same time all spells that will affect summon spells will consider it too. Example: can be banished by Sever the Bond, buffed (and made cheaper) by Roona's Yoke or simply dispelled.
    For the animation should be not too hard, nothing more complex than some sparks around the enchanted unit, ideally a white shadow that flows around the unit's body. What do you think?

Edit Post:
    On a second analysis Dispell should not work on this idea of Arisen Spirit, as it doesn't work on all other summoned units, right?
    Last edited by alghero; 02-13-2014 at 11:34 PM.

I was figuring Resurrection would be one of the Tier 9 spells.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Resurrection doesn't warrant Tier 9. It's good, but it's not that good. I know, I know - I'm jaded. But bringing back a single lost Unit... I mean, it can be important when it's a Hero, but strategically, it's just not up there.

What about Tier 6 for Resurrection? Ronaa's Yoke is neat, but might fit better somewhere else, depending on which way we send it. Water would be good for the `reduced Summoning cost', which I think is the version of it I like better. If we want the saving throws/banishment-resistance, it might be better as a Protection spell - Earth, probably.

Personally, I think being able to resurrect your top tier champion is a tier 9 effect.. and being able to bring back everything else too is just a bonus.

Mage’s Assistant
    Solve this with a Resurrection mana cost depending on the level of the unit? Like Warlords Battlecry III and tons of others? And maybe limiting what can be resurrected by a minimum level of the sorceror / circle learned?

Resurrection doesn't seem like Tier 9 to me.

Tier 1: Summon Guardian Light, Healer Familiar*
    Tier 2: Swap (T, two units exchange places), Settle Down**
    Tier 3: Sever Bond (T, attemps to banish a creature)
    Tier 4: Summon Unicorns
    Tier 5: Summon Angel
    Tier 6: Resurrection (S)
    Tier 7: Summon Archangel
    Tier 8: Teleportation Circle (S, links two towns)

* modified arisen spirit. Healer Familiar is a unit enchantment that gives the unit ability to heal similarly to how high men clerics do.
    ** new idea: strategic unit enchantment or instant: a summoned creature no longer is "summoned", meaning that it won't be affected by spell that affect summons. additional it could transform mana upkeep to food or gold. It's kind of a wild idea, but I think it fits Life.

I like Ronaa's Yoke, but since Life has only four summons, it'd only work well with a Life/Summoning Sorcerer Lord. It should fit better as an Earth, Wind or (and) Fire spell.

** new idea: strategic unit enchantment or instant: a summoned creature no longer is "summoned", meaning that it won't be affected by spell that affect summons. additional it could transform mana upkeep to food or gold. It's kind of a wild idea, but I think it fits Life.
    We already have a spell like this in one of the other schols called Make Corporeal or something, I think.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast