Duration: Persistent
    Maintenance Cost: 1 Mana Per Turn
    Spell Resistance: No
    Allows Savings Throw: No
    Applicable Saving Throw: -
    Saving Throw Effect: -
    Effect: Unit Buff
    Increase Effect: -
    Fills the target unit's weapons with negative energy. This negative energy does an additional 1D6 negative energy damage.
    Well of Misery
    Gain one Power for each corrupted land within your cities' radius. (This would also give non undead death players to want some corrupted land around..)

Maybe it simply enhances all mana producing structures within the cities by say, 1% for each corrupted tile within range? Or something in that general area.

Or it could just give a flat bonus to casting skill for every corrupted tile you control as the corruption makes it easier to work your evil deathly will on the world as another version.

Or as a third idea, Well of Misery could give you one power each time a living unit dies...
    Bolster Undead
    may need a namechange, makes an undead unit more resistant to turning
    Perpetual Darkness
    global, plane is under a constant Darkness spell (bonuses to undead, malluses to living)
    Ghost Touch
    Allows Melee attacks to ignore armor, targeting their spirit instead. (ie, instead of you rolling vs your opponents AC, and roll damage if you succeed - they make a Will save, and you roll damage if they fail.
    vampirism
    unit enchantment, target unit gains life when it damages a unit in battle (can heal undead).
    deathly eclipse
    tactical, all death units are given a boost, while all life units are given a penalty (MoM darkness), city enchantment, all attacks on the city have an innate deathly eclipse tactical enchantment in effect (MoM cloud of shadow), global, all battles involving your units are subject to an innate deathly eclipse tactical enchantment (MoM eternal night).
    cursed lands
    city enchantment, reduce target city's production, increase unrest (MoM cursed lands).
    famine
    city enchantment, target city's food output is reduced, and unrest increased (MoM famine).
    Cloak of Fear
    gives a unit the ability to Cause Fear in its enemies. If it manages to scare an enemy figure, that figure may not inflict any damage back at the enchanted unit.
    Black Channels
    turns a regular, living Normal Unit or Hero into a vile Undead creature, but also bestows several powerful bonuses on that unit. The transformation into an Undead creature is dramatic in itself, carrying plenty of added bonuses and penalties, and is entirely permanent.
    Slay living
    Unit Enchantment
    Target deals double damage to living creatures.
    deadly clarity
    (+int, +illusion immunity)
    Dark Rituals
    Circles: Death, ?
    Description: All mana generated by buildings is doubled at the cost of +1 Unrest and 25% slower population growth.
    Frailty
    Death/Augmentation
    Unit enchantment: Affected unit has penalty to constitution and gains vulnerability to physical damage. Frailty alone can't kill a unit.

Notes: -2 con so -1 fortitude and -20 hp. Gains physical vulnerability.
    Wraith Form
    Death / Augmentation
    Unit Enchantment
    Target unit gains Non-Corporeal ability.
    Eye of Entropy
    Death/augmentation
    Unit enchantment: Target unit gains death gaze

Notes: If only looks could kill...and now they can!
    Deadly Clarity
    Death/Augmentation
    Unit Enchantment: Target unit gains bonus to intelligence and illusion immunity.

Notes: +2 int so +1 magic attack, +1 will, +20 mana for wizards. Illusion immunity for all. Note: currently only death illusion immunity spell. I suggest true sight for air & radiant gaze for life. Modified eye of ronaa for water (city enchantment with battlefield presence). Others are weak vs illusions.
    Weakness
    Death/Augmentation
    Unit enchantment: Affected unit has penalty to strength.

Notes: -2 str so -1 melee attack and damage. Needs something more! Boring.
    Vulnerability
    Circles: Death / Augmentation
    Description: Affected unit loses resistances and immunities until end of encounter.
    Black Prayer
    Death / Augmentation?
    Battlefield Enchantment
    All enemy units receive -1 to all stats.
    (There was not a -2 version in MoM.)
    Vorpal Blade
    Augementation/Death(?)

Caster enchants one targets weapon with deadly energies, the targets critical hit chance is doubled and any critical hits cause bleeding damage for three turns
    Genocidal Decree discussion here
    (Death, Augmentation)
    Your city-built units gain [some bonus] in battle.
    Zombie Age
    (Death, Augmentation)
    Infuses all living units with necrotic energy, causing them, on their deaths, to have a chance to rise up as independent zombies and go rampaging around the map.
    Warp Creature
    Circles: Death / Augmentation
    Description: Target enemy unit must make a fort? save at -3 or receive 3 random reductions in stats.
    Corrupt
    Circles: Death, ?
    Description: Corrupts land tile.

OK, this one is a shoe in, but what effect is it? I would just stick it in Augmentation, but I'm beginning to wonder if we shouldn't change the name of Augmentation to Alteration. As we add more and more spells to the circle Alteration seems like a more fitting name. Also we need to tack "Terrain" or something onto this. Corrupt Terrain sounds like a good name.
    Darkness via sphere change discussion here
    Death / Biomancy
    Battlefield Enchantment
    Opposite of True Light
    False Life
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged; see text
    You harness the power of unlife to grant yourself a limited ability to avoid death. While this spell is in effect, you gain temporary hit points equal to 1d10 +1 per caster level (maximum +10).
    Lycanthropy discussion here
    Circles: Death, Biomancy
    Description: Transforms a normal sized, living humanoid unit into a group of werewolves. Werewolves are resistant or immune to normal weapons, have a strength and hit-point bonus, and are considered to have magic weapons themselves.
    Shared Destiny via circle change discussion here
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    (now Dance of the Dead)
    Circles: Life / Protection
    Description: The figures of enchanted units are linked together magically, and none will die when at least one still stands. Enchanted multi-figure unit will fight at full strength until it's totally destroyed.
    Chill of Death
    Adds 1d4 Cold damage to the target's damage rolls.
    Bleak Determination
    makes you resistant/immune to fear effects? Or something that makes undead resistant to turn undead type abilities?
    Devil's Pact
    (Tactical only) - Grants a single Unit significant bonuses (to attack, damage, movement, maybe even a point of Regeneration - good stuff for the Tier) for the rest of the battle... but the Unit automatically and unrecoverably dies at the end.
    Last edited by jamoecw; 03-03-2014 at 04:54 PM.

I'll go first:

1. Unholy Weapon (ST), Weakness (ST)
    2. Black Prayer (ST), Deadly Clarity (ST)
    3. Dark Rituals (S), Corrupt (S) [Could fit in Destruction or Biomancy too]
    4. Warp Creature (ST)
    5. Vorpal Blade (ST)
    6. Wrait Form (ST)
    7. Eye of Entropy (ST)
    8. Genocidal Decree (S) [this one will have to be pretty good to be such a high tier and something that can be disenchanted]
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

I was going to ask jamoecw to be so nice and create a new thread for Death magic, but he was quicker.
    Thanks man! (can you do the same for the other Death combinations?

also, one more:

Slay living
    Unit Enchantment
    Target deals double damage to living creatures.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Nooo! I was just caught up! Hehe...

I have to say, I don't like Weakness and Black Prayer here. Death is Death, sure, but... Augmentation is still Augmentation. There's nothing in that word that suggests making things worse. I'd put Weakness under Mentalism or Biomancy, and Black Prayer probably as a Death/Protection. Corrupt has much the same problem - it does not, in fact, Augment anything. (Biomancy is interesting, especially if Consecrate Earth stays there -- Biomancers could both cast and cleanse Corruption, which actually makes a lot of sense, and has neat tactical implications. You can safely Corrupt the land to weaken a city before you attack it, knowing that when you take it over, you can clean that up... but having to do both would use up a lot of spellcasting, in terms of both turns and mana, so it's not necessarily a `do-every-time' kind of choice.) Warp Creature should be Death/Destruction -- it's a great non-direct-damage effect for that combination.

Um, clearly, at this point, I am a -1 to changing Augmentation to just "Alteration". Every spell alters things; it's too broad. Augmentation is a cool thing to be able to specialize in.

+1 to Unholy Weapon.
    +1 Deadly Clarity -- what about Dead Eyes as a name?
    +1 Dark Rituals
    +1 Vorpal Blade, but I'd pull it down to Tier 3.
    +1 Wraith Form
    +1 Eye of Entropy
    +1 Genocidal Decree -- it doesn't necessarily have to be disenchantable, at least on the Units. It could be akin to MoM's Altar of Battle. Not necessarily just starting Units at high level (although that may be a good start), but whatever benefits it gives could just be part of whatever Units are made while it's working.

So I would start with:
    Tier 1: Unholy Weapon
    Tier 2: Deadly Clarity (Dead Eyes?)
    Tier 3: Vorpal Weapon, Dark Rituals
    Tier 4:
    Tier 5: Wraith Form
    Tier 6: Eye of Entropy
    Tier 7: Genocidal Decree
    Tier 8: Zombie Age

I like yours better, Linktking. And yeah, Genocidal Decree should work like Altar of Battle since it's a city enchantment.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    We should bring in Black Channels either in this combo or in Death/Biomancy, in my opinion.. Cloak of Fear was a good one too.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    vampirism - unit enchantment, target unit gains life when it damages a unit in battle (can heal undead).
    deathly eclipse - tactical, all death units are given a boost, while all life units are given a penalty (MoM darkness), city enchantment, all attacks on the city have an innate deathly eclipse tactical enchantment in effect (MoM cloud of shadow), global, all battles involving your units are subject to an innate deathly eclipse tactical enchantment (MoM eternal night).
    cursed lands - city enchantment, reduce target city's production, increase unrest (MoM cursed lands).
    famine - city enchantment, target city's food output is reduced, and unrest increased (MoM famine).

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    I'm gonna agree with Lintking that things like Cursed Lands or Famine, and other spells that only and directly debuff, shouldn't be in Augmentation normally.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i agree, though maybe death might be a bit unbalanced in that regard (too many debuffs, not enough buffs), so i figured i would put them in this thread just in case we need to extra spells.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    I agree with Happerry on a Black Channels effect...actually, I like both of those places for it. Death/Destruction should have a single-Unit-at-a-time effect just like Black Channels; Death/Biomancy should have a Global Effect that lets you do it for all your new Units.

For WoM, I'd like to propose Devour Soul; Tier 2 Death/Destruction, for the Black Channels effect - ie, converts one Normal Unit to Undead. It would be interesting if you could cast it on enemy Units, too... (With a Saving Throw, of course, but it might be a fun curse to place on a high-end Unit belonging to an enemy who keeps dropping the anti-Undead spells on you.)

I also agree with Happerry agreeing...with... me... um, about Cursed Lands and Famine. Vampirism is perfect here, though.

If I slide Devour Soul (or Black Channels, if we don't want to change it... I can't say I didn't always like that name, too) in at Tier 2, Vampirism at 4, and... replace Vorpal Weapon with Deathly Eclipse, that just leaves a Tier 1 spot open. (Having Unholy Weapon and then Vorpal Weapon so close together in the same spell-set feels a bit redundant, actually, so I like Deathly Eclipse better there. And it could start at Tier 3, but with the mana-slider set up so that the casting and maintenance costs put making it Global pretty much a Tier 6-7 thing anyway.)

Maybe... Ghost Touch: Allows Melee attacks to ignore armor, targeting their spirit instead. (ie, instead of you rolling vs your opponents AC, and roll damage if you succeed - they make a Will save, and you roll damage if they fail. Usefulness of this would vary depending on what you're fighting, but hey - Tier 1) ?

Tier 1: Unholy Weapon, Ghost Touch
    Tier 2: Deadly Clarity (Dead Eyes?), Devour Soul
    Tier 3: Deathly Eclipse, Dark Rituals
    Tier 4: Vampirism
    Tier 5: Wraith Form
    Tier 6: Eye of Entropy
    Tier 7: Genocidal Decree
    Tier 8: Zombie Age

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast