Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Augmentation/Death spells tiers 1 - 8

EDIT: I looked at the Master of Magic's Death spell list, I looked at our spell circles, and thought about it for a while. Consider the following: that whole spell list has 2 "defensive" spells (Wall of Darkness and Evil Omens; maybe Cloud of Shadow but that's a stretch) and we, in addition to Augmentation, have a whole Protection circle to fill. On the other hand, Death is full of curses and we have, what, Mentalism (and a few Destruction spells) to accommodate for them? Just food for thought when discussing spell choices.

Maybe... Ghost Touch: Allows Melee attacks to ignore armor, targeting their spirit instead. (ie, instead of you rolling vs your opponents AC, and roll damage if you succeed - they make a Will save, and you roll damage if they fail. Usefulness of this would vary depending on what you're fighting, but hey - Tier 1) ?
    That feels too complicated and, more importantly, beyond d20 system. Ghost Touch itself can be done very easily, though. All ethereal creatures have Touch attacks, which ignore the armor bonus in AC, making hitting much easier.

I'm not a big fan of Genocidal Decree. While a good spell itself, I don't think it really fits the Death theme, which isn't that much about bolstering normal, living units, especially on a global scale.

Zombie Age is cool, but if the zombies created are always neutral units, I'm not sure it's Tier 8.

Deadly Clarity - well, a spell that boosts magic units - feels more like an Air or Water spell to me.

I would put Devour Soul/Black Channels on the Biomancy list (I absolutely love the idea to cast it on enemy units).

This was my first iteration. However, I put it together before my realisation and the bolded edit. Thus, I think several of these spells should be put into the protection circle.

Tier 1: Unholy Weapon (ST, +negative energy damage), Bolster Undead (ST) [protection!]
    Tier 2: Ghost Touch (ST, touch attack), Dark Rituals (S, city -pop growth, +power)
    Tier 3: Darkness (T, bonuses to undead, malluses to living) [protection?]
    Tier 4: Wraith Form (ST, makes unit incorporeal) [protection?]
    Tier 5: Vampirism (ST, gives unit life drain ability)
    Tier 6: Eye of Entropy [though I'd like something global here too]
    Tier 7: Zombie Age (S, every killed living unit has a chance to be raised as zombies
    Tier 8: Perpetual Darkness* [protection?]

Bolster Undead - may need a namechange, makes an undead unit more resistant to turning
    Perpetual Darkness - global, plane is under a constant Darkness spell (bonuses to undead, malluses to living)
    Last edited by Hoverdog; 02-20-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Ghost Touch is a bad name, even though I like the idea of the spell. It already exists in D&D as a weapon enchantment that lets you hit immaterial things like they were solid.

Maybe call it Phantom's Blade or something.
    Last edited by Happerry; 02-20-2014 at 11:36 AM.

The name is of secondary importance, really. We can change it anytime.

Fair enough. Just wanted to point that out early.

Also..

Even though I think Eye of Entropy is perfectly fine as the tier 6 spell, if you really want a global spell for it, well, have a random idea.

Well of Misery : Gain one Power for each corrupted land within your cities' radius. (This would also give non undead death players to want some corrupted land around..)

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Well of Misery : Gain one Power for each corrupted land within your cities' radius. (This would also give non undead death players to want some corrupted land around..)
    This would work well, but. This would be an incredibly overpowered spell for the Unhallowed. I shudder to think about how imbalanced it would be.

Fair enough. Maybe it simply enhances all mana producing structures within the cities by say, 1% for each corrupted tile within range? Or something in that general area.

Or it could just give a flat bonus to casting skill for every corrupted tile you control as the corruption makes it easier to work your evil deathly will on the world as another version.

(Also, the Perpetual Darkness thing was called Eternal Night in MoM.. Personally I think Eternal Night sounds cooler)

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

Or as a third idea, Well of Misery could give you one power each time a living unit dies...

Or as a third idea, Well of Misery could give you one power each time a living unit dies...
    Good one! However, I'd make a small change: instead of Power it would give Mana. The reason for that is simple: Power has more of a continuous growth, so a 1-point pip here and there will be irritating if you like to micromanage. Gaining mana will be simpler.

I'm reading guys. It's looking good.

Zombie Age is basically Zombie Mastery from MoM (which is great). I wonder if we could keep the same name.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm reading guys. It's looking good.

Zombie Age is basically Zombie Mastery from MoM (which is great). I wonder if we could keep the same name.
    I don't want to infringe on MoM's copyright any more than we are. I think building names are okay, because, what else you gonna call a Bank or a Saw Mill? But let's avoid spell names as much as we can, especially the iconic ones from MoM. At least, that's my feelings on the matter.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

I don't like the Age part. Maybe Zombie Tide?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast