Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grey Elves 3D -> Unicorn Rider

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    there was a talk about female draconians, and it was decided that the female ones won't follow human gender norms (breasts). high men are based on high fantasy medieval europe, and thus have little room for women in combat (except as exceptional individuals like heroes). orcs were decided that there wouldn't be any women (as they wouldn't be attractive, and if they were it would break the image of the orcs). by the same logic of the orcs i am confidant that there won't any female dwarves either. though dark elves might have quite a few female units.

you can see why i wanted to model the good elf society around the most socially progressive culture of the ancient world. at some point there might be a female DLC that would add in an amazon race and such, but this game won't have many human like women in it (which is fine, due to being a strategy game, and thus ultimately units are genderless pieces to be moved around).

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintking View Post
    Unicorn riders are so stereotypically female that it's actually one of few places I'm particularly happy they went with male. The Grey Elves have Pegasus Riders and the Grey Mage that have female base-units. Those are, as far as I can tell, the only females on the "Unit" level in the game at all so far. There was, a long time ago, a solid discussion about making male and female versions of every Unit -- the official poll actually leaned towards `yes', but the discussion pointed out that that was a bit silly in terms of how it used our artists' time and our resources generally. I wasn't here yet for that, but pretty well agree... on both sides, I guess. It would be basically nice to have, but there's already so much for them to draw and model and animate.. that was going too far, I think. What I wish it had included was, "Well, if we're not doubling up almost all of the Units, then which ones should we model as women?" -- but it didn't, so they have pretty much defaulted to male, as they do.

I'm hoping we'll end up with more than two, though, and rather forlornly hoping we'll end up with any-at-all that aren't Elves. Though I don't... really think so, at this point. The High Men and Orcs have all been drawn out and don't have any, and the Draconians, Myrodants, and Unhallowed are all generally a bit hard to tell. (Though what we've seen so far of the Draconians and Unhallowed, it's all very masculine anyway). So... maybe we can hope for a dwarf? And have a rousing discussion about whether Dwarven women have beards? That's always a fun one.
    When I made the thread you were talking about, I assumed that we would only create new versions of units from the five humanoid races and the non-skeletal unhallowed (Minus units that wore full plate, as you couldn't tell their gender anyway.) I also assumed that it would be done either during the late stages of beta, after all the other art was finished, but before we finished balancing the factions and spells, or as a post-release update. I underestimated the time and money it would take to do this, but it's still not as much work as some people think, and it might still work as a cosmetic DLC.

P.S. I personally like how they made the Draconians and most of the Unhallowed units have ambiguous gender. Please don't give their units defined genders in the lore, as I'd like to imagine that my armies are made up equally of men and women.

P.P.S. I think Dwarven women should grow beards, but a toggle switch for this might be a good idea as some people really don't like it.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    it really depends on how they do unit art. if they have a base model, and then have a 3dmesh clothe the model, it would only take an animator making a second model for each unit with a female version (and most humanoid races would use the same model for different units). this would allow female versions of units with very little extra work, as long as the females used the same equipment as the males.

if they made the units and equipment the same model, then a female version would be at least 50% more work than just one gender.

granted, it is way too late to be thinking about such things. if unity can't do the first option then they would have had to think about such stuff in between the failed kickstarter and the successful one when they were offered the program to help make WoM a reality, and the choice would have probably to kick women to the curb as that way the game would have half a chance to even get made (just looked it up, looks like unity can do 3dmeshes). of course oblivion took a similar course, and got punished for it, so going that route does tie your hands a bit (can't get an esrb rating).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12