Maintenance Cost: 4 Mana Per Turn
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Allows Savings Throw: Yes
    Applicable Saving Throw: Will
    Saving Throw Effect: Half
    Effect: City Buff, Damage
    Damage: 10D8 Negative Energy
    Increase Effect: -

Enchants the gates of a city. The first enemy unit passing through the gates during a battle takes damage.
    Spit of Bile
    Circles: Death, Destruction
    Descriptor: Death
    Tier: 3
    Research Cost: 300
    Casting Cost: 30
    Power Increase Cost: 10
    Area of Effect: Single Target
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Allows Savings Throw: Yes
    Applicable Saving Throw: Fortitude
    Saving Throw Effect: Half
    Effect: Damage
    Damage: 4D6 Negative Energy
    Increase Effect: Each increase adds 1D6 negative energy.
    Target: Individual Unit

Instant. One target unit is showered in bile, which deals 4-24 Negative Energy (Magical) damage. Each Increase Effect adds further 1-6 damage. A successful save (Fortitude) halves the damage. Undead units are healed, rather than damaged.
    Defilation discussion here
    Description: Floods a tile with negative energy. Any forests or farms or other plant based things are destroyed and removed from the map.
    Necrosis discussion here
    Description: All enemy units on the battlefield have their flesh rotten away, so they make a fort save each round(easy DC) or take 1 con damage. Lasts for the rest of the battle.
    Dark Rituals via circle change discussion here
    Circles: Death, ?
    Description: All mana generated by buildings is doubled at the cost of +1 Unrest and 25% slower population growth.
    Warp Creature via circle change discussion here
    Circles: Death / Augmentation
    Description: Target enemy unit must make a fort? save at -3 or receive 3 random reductions in stats.
    Devour Soul
    Tier 2 Death/Destruction, for the Black Channels effect - ie, converts one Normal Unit to Undead. It would be interesting if you could cast it on enemy Units, too... (With a Saving Throw, of course, but it might be a fun curse to place on a high-end Unit belonging to an enemy who keeps dropping the anti-Undead spells on you.)
    break the node (element variants)
    specific element/life/death+destruction
    strategic
    if nodes are cracks into planes (i think i saw somewhere idea of skill that use nodes as portal in planes), than break them more to increase amount of energy that get in world, more mana from owned nodes of specific type (http://wastelands-interactive.com/me...ne_gate_master)
    Thorns of Retribution via circle change
    Unit Enchantment. Causes thorns to burst from the target's skin. The target unit loses 1 HP (per figure) permanently (well, as long as the spell is Maintained), but gains a bonus to Will and Fort saves for being accustomed to the pain, and causes automatic damage to any unit engaged them in melee combat (attack and counterattack).
    Spell Blast via circle change discussion here
    Circles: Arcane Circle
    Description: Attempt to "dispel" a spell as it is being cast.
    Corrupt Land
    Circle: Death, Destruction
    Type: Strategic
    Cost: No idea
    Upkeep: Not Sure if needed
    Description: Afflicts a targeted area with a decayed environment, causing cities who use that land to get only 25% of normal food, production or gold.
    Foul Air discussion here
    Circle: Summon+Air+Death
    Type: Strategic
    Cost: Very high
    Upkeep: Very high
    Description: Each turn, all units in the world roll a fort save or take minor ability damage from poison fumes.
    Alternatively the caster may choose 5 tiles each turn, any armies within a selected tile must roll a fort save or take ability damage from poison fumes that rise from the ground.
    Sabotage discussion here
    Death or Earth/Destruction
    Instant
    Reset the current production on a project in target city to zero.

So if they are building a bank and have 25 production units into it, it goes back to 0.
    Unholy Pact discussion here
    Death / Destruction
    The Sorcerer Lord strikes a pact with a demon ceding control of one of his cities to the Demon. The Demon city will become an Independent Empire which is allied with the caster. The Demon city gets a Demonic Portal which has a chance to spawn a demon unit each turn.
    (OK, so I guess this is more of a Strategic Instant spell)
    Poison Cloud discussion here
    Death/Destruction
    Overland/Tactical AoE: Target tile and adjacent tiles are covered in a noxious cloud. All units within affected area become poisoned unless they successfully resist the effect with a fortitude save. Negative energy in the cloud corrupts the affected tiles. The poison cloud persist for a few turns before disappearing.

Notes: Death was missing overland destruction spell so here it is. As mentioned in cleansing rain entry this is in same category as cleansing rain, fire storm, ice storm, and sandstorm.
    Necrotic Bomb
    death/destruction
    Infuse target with negative energy. When the unit dies it unleashes a wave of negative energy damaging living units and healing undead.
    Death bolt discussion here
    (Death/Destruction) deals 13 negative energy damage +2dmg for every 3 extra mana spent to a single unit.
    Dread Ball discussion here
    (Death/Destruction) deals 20 negative energy damage +3dmg for every 5 extra mana spent to all units in a 5x5 area.
    Shockwave discussion here
    Death/Destruction
    Deals X damage to all creatures with flying.
    Total War discussion here
    (Death, Destruction or Mentalism)
    Treaties cannot be signed while this enchantment is in effect.
    Apocalyptic Chant discussion here
    (Death, Destruction)
    At the beginning of each sorcerer-lord's turn, one of the following happens: a volcano is raised somewhere, a meteor shower hits a random city, a random unit is killed, an earthquake hits a random city, a random tile is changed to desert, or a random resource is depleted.
    Call the Void via circle change discussion here
    Circles: Fire? / Destruction
    Description: Target enemy city (units and buildings) and surrounding tiles take massive damage.
    The End of Flesh discussion here
    Circles: Death / Destruction
    Description: Single target high negative energy damage, if something is killed by this spell a free unit of Skeletons or such is created.
    Petrify discussion here
    Circles: Earth / Destruction
    Description: Each figure in target unit must make a fort? save or be turned to stone (killed).
    Invoke Void
    (Death, Destruction)
    Invoke the true power of the void, and force every living unit on the battlefield to save or die. (Tactical)
    Wrack
    Tactical, Each turn, each figure in each unit on the battlefield must Resist, else its unit suffers damage
    Warp Node
    Strategic, Target Node decreases its owner's Power by -5 instead of increasing it. A warped node may not change owners.
    Black Wind
    Strategic, Each figure in each unit in the targeted tile must resist or be destroyed.
    Word of Death
    Tactical, Each figure in the targeted enemy unit must Resist or be destroyed.
    Death Spell
    Tactical, Each figure in each unit on the battlefield must Resist or be destroyed.
    Death Wish
    Strategic, Every enemy Normal Unit and Hero anywhere in the world must Resist or be destroyed.
    Curse Lands
    Strategic, Target enemy Town's Production is reduced by about 50%.
    Weakness via circle change
    Death/Augmentation
    Unit enchantment: Affected unit has penalty to strength.

Notes: -2 str so -1 melee attack and damage. Needs something more! Boring.
    End of Myths via circle change discussion here
    Circles: Death / Conjuration
    Description: The Caster creates a powerful vortex of negative energy which absorbs all magic. At the start of each players turn it has a (Percent) chance to remove each enchantment (Checked separately on a per enchantment basis) on their units, and a (Smaller Percent) chance of banishing each summon they have. (Also checked on a per summon basis)
    Oblivion Mote via circle change discussion here
    Circles: Death / Summoning
    Description: Consume a target location on the battlefield with raw oblivion, making it impassible to all but fliers for the rest of the fight.
    Bloodletting
    Bloodletting opens up large wounds on the target that continue to hamper them, causing bleed damage to strike them every round until something heals them.
    Doom Bolt
    strikes the target with a destructive magical bolt that will bypass any defense and deliver a specific amount of damage.
    Finger of Death
    Necromancy [Death]
    Level: Drd 8, Sor/Wiz 7
    Components: V, S
    Casting time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One living creature
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You can slay any one living creature within range. The target is entitled to a Fortitude saving throw to survive the attack. If the save is successful, the creature instead takes 3d6 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +25).
    The subject might die from damage even if it succeeds on its saving throw.
    Oblivion Rift
    Tactical - tactical obstacle to all (incl. flying), if cast on a unit - REFL save at +2 (+4?) or die
    Command: Death
    Strategic - Target one Sorcerer Lord, each unit must save at +1 or die, each Hero must save at +2 or die, each Champion must save at +4 or die
    Touch of Fatigue
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 0
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Creature touched
    Duration: 1 round/level
    Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
    You channel negative energy through your touch, fatiguing the target. You must succeed on a touch attack to strike a target.

The subject is immediately fatigued for the spell’s duration.

This spell has no effect on a creature that is already fatigued. Unlike with normal fatigue, the effect ends as soon as the spell’s duration expires.
    Ray of Enfeeblement
    Necromancy
    Level: Sor/Wiz 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Effect: Ray
    Duration: 1 min./level
    Saving Throw: None
    A coruscating ray springs from your hand. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike a target. The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+1 per two caster levels (maximum 1d6+5). The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1.
    Bleed the Land
    Turns target tile into a tundra. Yes, Death already has tile corruption as a Biomancy spell, but corruption is easily rectifiable with another T2 spell or a clerical unit. Terraforming, however, needs more than that, and I think tundra fits Death (it's the least "living" tile bar desert maybe, and desert is easily Fire).
    Warp Creature
    Strategic. Target unit gets a random penalty to random stats FOREVER. Can't be undone except for maybe those Paradise plane fountains. Random, wacky, and very death-like.
    Reaper's Curse
    Tactical, every hit against the target unit becomes a critical. Tiers 4-6 probably (can be very powerful if used against a high-end monster)
    Call the Void Iteration Two
    Strategic, target tile ceases to exist (works as Air tile) - cannot target cities and units, probably, else it's much too powerful
    Black Wind
    dark winds carry death and despair to target city. Target city has penalty to production and increased unrest. All garrisoned living troops suffer damage each round unless they succeed in a save. Notes: cursed lands with unrest increase and damage.

However I guess we could split this to cursed lands --> city production debuff and black winds --> global enemy affecting unrest and damage?
    Doom Bolt
    does moderate arcane damage to all figures in a single living unit and causes them to be sickened if it fails fortitude save. Note: in DnD sickened is -2 on attack rolls, damage rolls, saving throws. Arcane was what Hoverdog used for unspecified damage.
    Burst of Corruption
    Tactical - poison units within AoE
    Withered Wings via circle change discussion here
    Circles: Death / Biomancy
    Description: Enchanted creature that flies has its movement reduced to 1 and has -2 to all stats.
    Gangrene
    (S, target stack loses natural healing rate for X turns OR target unit loses healing rate indefinitely)
    Last edited by jamoecw; 02-28-2014 at 05:27 PM.

I'll add those spells from MoM that fit Destruction:

Definitely:
    Wrack - T Each turn, each figure in each unit on the battlefield must Resist, else its unit suffers damage
    Warp Node - S Target Node decreases its owner's Power by -5 instead of increasing it. A warped node may not change owners.
    Black Wind - S Each figure in each unit in the targeted tile must resist or be destroyed.
    Word of Death - T Each figure in the targeted enemy unit must Resist or be destroyed.
    Death Spell - T Each figure in each unit on the battlefield must Resist or be destroyed.
    Death Wish - S Every enemy Normal Unit and Hero anywhere in the world must Resist or be destroyed.

Maybe:
    Curse Lands - S Target enemy Town's Production is reduced by about 50%.
    Weakness - T curse

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Since End of Myths didn't end up in summoning, I'd like to see if we can fit it in here. (And if Oblivion Mote doesn't end up as the third tier death/summon spell like it might have been last I heard, it could fit here too.)

Wow, this one will be hard. We could even add the Shadow Bolt that demon lords used to hurl in MoM.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Also, have a new suggested tier 1 spell because I was idily trying to write up a list and noticed we didn't have much low level stuff.

Bloodletting : Bloodletting opens up large wounds on the target that continue to hamper them, causing bleed damage to strike them every round until something heals them.

We also might be able to fit in a low level Destroy Wall spell, perhaps? (Also, we have a lot of effects that come down to save or die with nothing special about them besides some variety in what and how much they effect.. I'd prefer a little more variety then six save or dies..)

Edit : also, to bring up MoM spells, should Doom Bolt be in here or in Fire? I really want Doom Bolt in the game so the dark elf spider mage can cast it...
    Last edited by Happerry; 02-21-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Bloodletting is good. I like it.

Destroy Wall fits more into Earth or Fire IMO.

I agree that having a dozen save or die spells is a bit too much, but there needs to be some.

Doom Bolt - fire for me.

Mainly I was trying to throw together a list with the MoM spells you mentioned and the spells up on the front post, and i looked at it and realized I had around six spells which were just different variants of the Save or Die thing. I mean, Wrack, save or die every turn, Word of Death, one unit saves or dies, Black Wind, everyone in a tile saves or dies, Death Spell, everyone on the field saves or dies, Death Wish, everyone on a plane saves or dies...

We really don't need all of those, do we? Personally I'd keep Wrack and Black Wind, and come up with other effects for the other tiers. Like Gates of Destruction or End of Flesh and such.

And Doom Bolt can be fire then, just wanted to bring it up before everything here got filled.

Wrack is actually save or lose 1 hit point, but yes, I get where you're coming from. I would keep two to three death spells, depending on how the rest of the destruction list looks like: one strategic (Black Wind or Death Wish, or something in between) and one or two tactical (Wrack, Word of Death, or Death Spell).

Oh, and I think Gates of Destruction will be needed for Protection...

Also, I want to note that Death Wish could make a neat tier 9 death spell. Good point on Gates of Destruction, too...
    Last edited by Happerry; 02-21-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Also, I want to note that Death Wish could make a neat tier 9 death spell.
    Yup, that too!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast