Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Destruction/Death spells tiers 1 - 8

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    black wind seems like a strategic version of death spell (invoke void is functionally death spell). these two can be merged into one spell i think similar to how (like MoM's disenchant area). word of death is functionally different (single target), as well as death wish (global). these three spells would then be the only three save or die spells.

Edit : also, to bring up MoM spells, should Doom Bolt be in here or in Fire? I really want Doom Bolt in the game so the dark elf spider mage can cast it...
    I think Fire will end up having a lot of bolt spells already. I'd like to spread them out some more among the circles. I think it would fit just fine in Death, and yeah, Doom Bolt was one of my favorite spells from MoM too.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    Wrack is actually save or lose 1 hit point, but yes, I get where you're coming from. I would keep two to three death spells, depending on how the rest of the destruction list looks like: one strategic (Black Wind or Death Wish, or something in between) and one or two tactical (Wrack, Word of Death, or Death Spell).
    Actually, Wrack is each figure in the unit must save or die, so it is possible for a low resistance unit to die completely in one round.
    EDIT: You beat me to it Hoverdog :P... Yes, save or 1 damage.
    Last edited by ampoliros; 02-21-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Actually, Wrack is each figure in the unit must save or die, so it is possible for a low resistance unit to die completely in one round.
    http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Wrack
    It does exactly one point of damage to each figure that failed its resistance roll, so while it's definitely possible for a normal 1-HP unit to die instantly, it's not a save-or-die spell.
    (the spell is bugged though, and in fact deals more damage than it is supposed to, but we're talking about how it was conceived)

Death/Destruction is almost as open as Fire/Destruction, lol. I like what I'm seeing here guys
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Tier 1 - Weakness - T - save or lose attack value
    Tier 1 - Bloodletting - T - Save or lose 1 HP per round until healed
    Tier 2 - Oblivion Rift - T - tactical obstacle to all (incl. flying), if cast on a unit - REFL save at +2 (+4?) or die
    Tier 2 - Dread Ball - T - small AoE (2x2) pumpable direct damage spell
    Tier 3 - Doom Bolt - T - Deal X damage with no save
    Tier 4 - Wrack - ST - S: Each figure in stack must save or die, T: each round each figure must save or lose 1 HP (combined Black Winds here)
    Tier 5 - Warp Node - S - Target Node decreases its owner's Power by -5 instead of increasing it. A warped node may not change owners.
    Tier 6 - Unholy Pact - S - Cede control of one of your cities to a Demon. That city becomes an allied independent state. Each turn there's a chance a minor demon will spawn.
    Tier 7 - Call the Void - S - Target city, All units take massive damage, high (30-40%) chance each building gets destroyed
    Tier 8 - Command: Death - S - Target one Sorcerer Lord, each unit must save at +1 or die, each Hero must save at +2 or die, each Champion must save at +4 or die

I like the idea of Doom Bolt in Death since it works so differently from other bolts.

A preliminary +1 to Amp's list. I have to study all the options some more since there's so many, but it looks good to me!

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    Tier 1 - Weakness - T - save or lose attack value
    Tier 1 - Bloodletting - T - Save or lose 1 HP per round until healed
    Tier 2 - Oblivion Rift - T - tactical obstacle to all (incl. flying), if cast on a unit - REFL save at +2 (+4?) or die
    Tier 2 - Dread Ball - T - small AoE (2x2) pumpable direct damage spell
    Tier 3 - Doom Bolt - T - Deal X damage with no save
    Tier 4 - Wrack - ST - S: Each figure in stack must save or die, T: each round each figure must save or lose 1 HP (combined Black Winds here)
    Tier 5 - Warp Node - S - Target Node decreases its owner's Power by -5 instead of increasing it. A warped node may not change owners.
    Tier 6 - Unholy Pact - S - Cede control of one of your cities to a Demon. That city becomes an allied independent state. Each turn there's a chance a minor demon will spawn.
    Tier 7 - Call the Void - S - Target city, All units take massive damage, high (30-40%) chance each building gets destroyed
    Tier 8 - Command: Death - S - Target one Sorcerer Lord, each unit must save at +1 or die, each Hero must save at +2 or die, each Champion must save at +4 or die
    not a fan of command: death, the other global bad stuff affects your own units as well, making it a double edged sword (you still have the power to cancel it though).
    other than that it looks fine to me.

Honestly, I don't like the Save or Die spells much myself, but Hoverdog said he wants Save or Die spells in the list.

So I looked for how to put one in the list, looking back to the OP. The OP had one that targeted ALL enemies - that would be way too overpowered, So I cut it to just one enemy.

I would be OK with shuffling the Tiers around and making a less powerful Save or Die spell.

but Hoverdog said he wants Save or Die spells in the list.
    Ugh, why? They're just not fun.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast