Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mentalism/Death spells tiers 1 - 8

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Torpor is an awesome word, but it doesn't suggest "fear" - torpor is more a state something goes into when it's starving.

Awesome Death effect and I think we should keep it and that name, but I think that moves it back more towards putting them to sleep rather than paralyzing them with fear - your Death magic puts the target Unit on the edge of death, too weak to even defend themselves properly.

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Sadly, I agree with Lintking. Torpor is a great name, but it doesn't suggest fear, which defeats the point of renaming it. (Of course, if we change the effect back to sleep or a more generic weakness thing like what Lintking said, Torpor would be great..)

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    At Tier 2 I would say Evil Presence would only cut the mana buildings in half, not cancel them.

Posession was a Death spell in MoM, it feels like a Death thing to me as well. Posessed units died after combat in MoM (unless the posessed unit's player won the combat). So if WoM keeps that aspect, it's definitely a Death spell.

I really think Posession needs to be substituted in for Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy_Costisick View Post
    This is the list I like best so far. I can't believe how many effects fit in this circle combo. It's as bad as Death/Destruction.
    People are probably looking at mind control as something evil, and therefore matching Death. It's important to remember we need to fill Elemental/Mentalism combos and not use up all the offensive Mentalism powers.

I could definitely see some elemental possibilities ... Subversion is presumably causing hostility and anger, not death, un-death or harming the target in any direct fashion. Hostility/anger/rage seems like Fire/Mentalism overlap to me. Total War might fall in the same bucket. Silence is a stilling of the Air.

I actually like the Tendrils of Destruction name. Tendrils sort of worm their way in and compromise the social order of the city. However, I agree with others that no one will ever use the spell with a -2 citizens per turn penalty. Even doing it for 2 turns would likely do as much or more immediate permanent damage to your empire as you caused (temporarily) to the opponent. Perhaps if it was a 100% debuff ... total productive paralyzation - but even then, it seems incredibly situational, especially if it has more than a trivial casting time.

Personally I was thinking the hypnotism type things went into water/mentalism...

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Personally I was thinking the hypnotism type things went into water/mentalism...

Yes, me too.

Silence is a stilling of the Air.
    Good point. Fair on Total War too.

I still like my previous suggestion, but about this:

Tier 1: Mind Wrack (T, will penalty - works well with Death magic, but it still is T1 in power), Panic (T, Will save or unit flees battle)
    Tier 2: Torpor (T, unit must save or be unable to do anything until hit), Suicide (T, Will save or the unit attacks itself)
    Tier 3: Evil Presence (S, cancels any effects from religious buildings for one city)
    Tier 4: Subversion* (S, needs rename, worsens a SL's relations with other wizards)
    Tier 5: Dementia (S, a SL loses some/a lot/all of his Research progress)
    Tier 6: Cruel Unminding (S, a SL loses some Casting skill)
    Tier 7: Terror (T, each unit must save or be paralyzed by fear)
    Tier 8: Tendrils of Destruction Iteration Two* (S, enemy cities are cursed drastically at the expense of own citizens and unrest)
    * needs name change

- added Panic, saved Silence for Air magic
    - added Suicide, saved Total War for Fire magic
    - moved spells through tiers to accommodate for changes
    - changed how Black Sleep (now Torpor) works

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    suicide might need to be save each round or unt attacks itself if it is going to be at tier 2, though i am not sure. maybe swap panic and suicide (if suicide is a one time thing)?

Panic needs a low DC or it should just make them flee to the edge of the battlefield for a turn or two.

Suicide should probably be rename and only work for one attack. Maybe we could call it “Self Harm, harm of the self”, lol. (Ten points is you know where that quote is from!)

Subversion is an interesting idea, but it will only work against AI opponents. Still, it's probably fine.

Having two spells that directly attack another Sorcerer Lord might be too much. I'm iffy about Cruel Unminding. It seems like it might lead to “rage loading”, lol.

We might want to give Terror two effects. If the target fails they may just stand in place and only counter-attack or they may flee.

Either way, the list is coming along
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

If we want to replace Dementia/Cruel Unminding, we could always do with a buff.. Death/Mentalism doesn't have any right now.

Maybe something like 'Predatory Instinct : A unit gains increased chance for critical hits from an innate understanding of how to kill things.' Perhaps?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast