Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Protection/Death spells tiers 1 - 8

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Personally, I don't have any issue with Dance of the Dead. All it does is keep a unit from weakening, and a spearmen level unit verses a dragon or something.. is still a spearmen level unit, even if it stays in top form until said summon gets done eating it.

Some good suggestions!

Tier 1: Bone Aura (ST, grants high resistance to Piercing), Life Ward (S, prevents Life summons from entering the tile)
    Tier 2: Dance of the Dead (T, all figures live until the unit is destroyed), Mana Leak (T, units and Sorcerer Lords lose X mana each turn)
    Tier 3: Cloak of Fear (T, grants Fear to a unit)
    Tier 4: Black Prayer (T, all enemy units get penalties)
    Tier 5: Wraith Form (S, target unit becomes incorporeal)
    Tier 6: Shroud of Darkness (S, all cities get Darkness cast on it, hides them, protects from life magic)
    Tier 7: Domain of Pestilence (S, city radius damages, slows down, prevents healing enemy units)
    Tier 8: Evil Omens (S, increases cost of Life spells)

- Life Ward down a tier, Dance of the Dead up a tier, Mana Leak, Black Prayer, Cloak of Fear, Wraithform down a tier
    - Domain of Pestilence for Skeletal Protectors
    - Shroud of Darkness updated to some of Beregar's suggestions
    Last edited by Hoverdog; 03-03-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Evil Omens seems really narrow for a Tier 8 spell. Could we add maybe Earth and Water to the circles it affects?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

True, but Life is a primary counter for Death. Earth or Water are much more neutral.

Keeping it just Life makes it a very weak Tier 8 spell. There will be plenty of games where it's a non-factor. Perhaps we should replace it with something else.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

We could lower it 1 or 2 tiers. (Domain of Pestilence can work as T8)

The list looks good.

Evil Omens can certainly be tier 8 depending on how much the cost increase is.
    Everybody needs friends! Aaron's Facebook Page

Battlemage
    I think shroud of darkness might be too powerful as a global as you seem to imply Hoverdog. I think it should be a single city only with those changes.

Mage of the Lesser Tower
    Quote Originally Posted by "Happerry
    and a spearmen level unit verses a dragon or something.. is still a spearmen level unit
    Sure, but that's a Spearman Unit versus a Dragon. If anybody suggests a Unit Enchantment that would even that match-up... well, I mean, that'd be cool, and might be totally doable, but I don't think anybody's going to be even offering it in the Tier 1-3 range.

A group of Paladins is another question, and one more likely to get the spell. Or a full stack of Longbowmen -- remember how important it was to weaken the enemy missile Units? (#1 reason for Flame Strike!) As a low-Tier Spell, this is something you can totally buff everyone in a Stack with.

I'll totally accept Jamoecw's point that tweaking the effect might be easier than tweaking the Tier - but I like the effect. Don't get me wrong. I just think we're underestimating its impact. At Tier 2... I don't know. Maybe it could be that basically any time a Figure would go down, they get a Save, or a percentage chance (possibly boostable by Mana Slider), to stay active? Whenever another Figure would go down, each one currently being held up by this would have to re-roll -- until the last Figure drops, and then the Unit is done?

Anyway - I do like the current list, except that I would +1 swapping Evil Omens with Domain of Pestilence.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintking View Post
    Sure, but that's a Spearman Unit versus a Dragon. If anybody suggests a Unit Enchantment that would even that match-up... well, I mean, that'd be cool, and might be totally doable, but I don't think anybody's going to be even offering it in the Tier 1-3 range.

A group of Paladins is another question, and one more likely to get the spell. Or a full stack of Longbowmen -- remember how important it was to weaken the enemy missile Units? (#1 reason for Flame Strike!) As a low-Tier Spell, this is something you can totally buff everyone in a Stack with.

I'll totally accept Jamoecw's point that tweaking the effect might be easier than tweaking the Tier - but I like the effect. Don't get me wrong. I just think we're underestimating its impact. At Tier 2... I don't know. Maybe it could be that basically any time a Figure would go down, they get a Save, or a percentage chance (possibly boostable by Mana Slider), to stay active? Whenever another Figure would go down, each one currently being held up by this would have to re-roll -- until the last Figure drops, and then the Unit is done?

Anyway - I do like the current list, except that I would +1 swapping Evil Omens with Domain of Pestilence.
    yep, we can make the spell weaker if it in too low of a tier (too powerful), but if it in too high of a tier (too weak) there isn't really anything we can do without really changing the nature of the spell, or swapping it and rebalancing it with another spell (which is always an option).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast