Thread: Gnoll Civ

Arcane Candidate

Gnoll Civ

My favourite faction in MoM was Gnolls, any chance of a Gnoll civ to fill a Beastmen slot? Though Gnoll dlc that adds it as a Race is also good!

While Minotaurs would be big, tanky and smaller beastmen (say Ratmen) would be small and swarmy, Gnolls could have a very voodoo feel and fight like skirmishers to give them more of a unique feel and keep to their real world myth as well.

Placeholder army list:

Settler -
    Spearmen - Anti-Cav
    Skirmishers - Basic Troop
    Hunters - Archer
    Stalkers - Battlefield Assassin, Disrupter
    Hyena Clan - Disrupter
    Witch Doctor - Battlefield Wizard
    Dire Riders - Shock Troops, Disrupters
    Obscene Altar - Artillery, Disrupter
    Clan Blooded - Advanced Troop

Gnolls should be a serious combined arms race. As you move your Spearmen into place to counter initial charges by any cav, your Skirmishers should be moving along the battlefield taking advantage of the terrain to block out key units or weak points.

Combine this with Hunters, pinpointing the weak prey that your Skirmishers have surrounded and let fly a torrent of projectiles.

Gnolls, in D20 lore, are fearsome and they should reflect that in game...in this case units that panic opponent's units. A group of swordmen should be terrified seeing a huge group of snarling, cackling hyenas barrelling down on them. Units 'panicked' could flee but that might be too powerful; I'd propose a fair debuff on any unit panicked....and only one unit can be panicked per 'disrupter' unit.

Through this gnolls could weaken a dwarf defence line by tossing cheap hyenas at the 'weakest link' in the chain (line, in this case) and then bursting through with their Dire Riders, Skirmishers or such.

Weakened units could then be Stalked by Stalkers, gnolls that 'hunt' out their mark with the sole intention of taking them out...this would fulfil a unique Rogue role.

Witch Doctors could toss out voodoo spells to curse opposing units, though could be a bit much when used on panicked units. Perhaps focus them on bestowing 'dark gifts' down on comrades and using hoodoo to heal allies?

Dire Riders should be designed as a less all-round cav and more the kind for smashing through a wall...the thing about gnolls is they tend to ride dire hyenas (they have a great kinship with them) and a hyena itself has a ferocious mount...so dire hyena could be just as deadly as its rider! should have a glass cannon feel. Even an dwarf might be unnerved seeing a group of these charging him.

The obscene altar...now, this would probs work less for damage, more for special effects: shooting dark blasts of shadow energy for damage + an effect?

Lastly, Clan Blooded should be the overseer's of a fight and should be tactical in who they engage (they should allow the lesser units to 'set up' the battlefield for them, much like a chessboard)...ideally they should be a tanky, unit that holds its own version several lower level units or a knight. Perhaps it can become enraged? toxic weapons?

For other traits, gnolls are known carrion eaters and cannibals...perhaps their units heal better just after a battle? or a higher rate of healing?
    Last edited by MrHyena; 03-02-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    The list of factions for the base game has already been decided on, but a Gnoll faction could be used for DLC. The list of factions for the base game are:

High Men (Humans)
    Grey Elves
    Dwarves
    Unhallowed (Undead)
    Draconians
    Dark Elf Dominion
    Myrodants (Insectoids)
    Orcs
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Arcane Candidate
    Ooooh...my bad. Just discovered this game. Gnolls could even introduce a Witch Doctor class to the game, with all the curses, hexes, Shadows and Spirits that it entails!

Arcane Candidate
    No suggestions?

Mage of the Inner Tower Endless Rain's Avatar
    I like the idea a lot, I just don't have any suggestions to add right now. I don't like the obscene altar or clan-blooded that much though. I'm glad more people are posting on the general forums though. I wish you had been here before we picked the 8 factions, since I like the Gnolls a lot more than the Myrodants and Draconians.
    I am waiting for the relaunch before playing Worlds of Magic, so I don't check the forums as often as I used to. In the meantime, the main forum I post at is RPG.net, if anyone here needs to contact me.

Arcane Candidate
    To tell the truth, the Obscene Altar wasn't a high pick for me, as I'm not 100% sure if these guys should be using a Siege unit. Alternatively, they could be replaced by some form of Shade/Shadow thats reeeally good at shifting through walls or some form of Warlock. Clan-Blooded was a struggle to think up a name for....but could easily be replaced by a Gnoll Blackguard of some form...these two slots have a lot of artistic license to flow with.

True, wish could have written this up early, but I discovered this game late. Still...theres always DLC.