Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biomancy/Air spells tiers 1 - 8

Battlemage
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverdog View Post
    Tier 6: Teleport (S, unit is placed on the target tile)
    Edit: Teleport should definitely go to summoning. Actually I rechecked and air summon list and it's filled with spells already. I didn't realize chimeras were an air summon. A shame. However I don't see what biomancy has to do with teleportation.

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ampoliros View Post
    T1 - Gust of Wind - T - push a unit one space
    Well more than one space. Pushing unit back one space achieves nothing. I mean they don't really even need to spend any real amount of movement points. You can't cast it on enemy turn after all.

A general note about terraforming

Currently we are on a real short end when it comes to terraforming spells. We have *only* a single tundra spell. No other terraforming spells exist. We absolutely have to make sure all terrains are represented when it comes to terraforming. Keep that in mind when plotting the spell lists.

For the record: There's a discipline called worldshaper. A discipline that allows you to research "all terraforming spells regardless of their spell circles" doesn't sound very useful if there is just one or two terraforming spells.

Air: I've given two suggestions for this Gentle rains as deserts --> plains, plains --> forests and another to expand tundra. Winds of change is okay as well if people prefer that.

Earth: It is almost certain earth is going to get spells that create and destroy mountains and hills through elevation control.

Water: Again it is almost certain water will get swamps, oceans, rivers as they all involve large amounts of water.

Fire: Deserts and volcanos. Also destruction of plains, forests and similar (i.e. wildfires)

Death: Has a single tundra creation spell (I'm not sure why the ice part is not issue here if it belongs to water)

Life: Gets the short end here. No terraforming spells at all.
    Last edited by Beregar; 03-09-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Battlemage
    I've altered Hoverdog's list:

Tier 1: Levitation (ST, unit gains floating), Vacuum (T, target flyer is knocked to the ground dealing some damage and making him lose all movement for 1 turn)
    Tier 2: Wind Blast (T, push a unit, deals low damage), ?
    Tier 3: Breath of Life (T, unit is resurrected if it dies in a won battle),
    Tier 4: Stasis* (T, enemy units cannot move for 1 turn)
    Tier 5: Cleansing Rain (S?T? remove malluses)
    Tier 6: Winds of Change (S, convert terrain types)
    Tier 7: Wind Touched (S, produced units get air buffs)
    Tier 8: Domain of Storms (S, enemy units [flyers?] are slowed, random Lightning Bolt attacks here and there)

Not a big fan of Hurricane. It sounds like a destruction spell to be honest. Not a big fan of teleport here either so I replaced it with the Winds of Change.

I gave it a bit of a though and I honestly would consolidate terraforming to a few primary spells. All spheres should have a bit terraforming but air and earth logically seem the obvious choices for land based terraforming.

Winds of Change: This should do a conversion between types that are reasonably within domain of air. Air moves around clouds, rain, cold air, warm air etc through winds so I think it's easily justifiable it can change most terrain types to another type. I like the idea that it can convert wastes to beneficial terrain types i.e. tundra/desert --> plains; swamps --> forest BUT it should also be able to do the reverse.

Now the question is if 6 is in fact too high for a simple tile based terrain conversion. Perhaps it should be a second level spell? It doesn't affect *all* terrain types after all. It also affects only a single tile at a time. However it can also be used to hinder foes by turning their beneficial lands to wastes.
    Last edited by Beregar; 03-10-2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Edited as requested

Archmage of the Inner Ring ampoliros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beregar View Post
    Now the question is if 6 is in fact too high for a simple tile based terrain conversion. Perhaps it should be a second level spell? It doesn't affect *all* terrain types after all. It also affects only a single tile at a time. However it can also be used to hinder foes by turning their beneficial lands to wastes.
    It is simple to scale the AoE for number of tiles affected based on which Tier Winds of Change ends up in.

BTW, you should edit your post to make it clear you altered Hoverdog's post. It's confusing atm.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beregar View Post
    Winds of Change: This should do a conversion between types that are reasonably within domain of air. Air moves around clouds, rain, cold air, warm air etc through winds so I think it's easily justifiable it can change most terrain types to another type. I like the idea that it can convert wastes to beneficial terrain types i.e. tundra/desert --> plains; swamps --> forest BUT it should also be able to do the reverse.
    i'd do desert -> plains -> swamps -> plains -> deserts. tundras aren't cold due to clouds. the change gives a full circle thing, sorta like the original terrain conversion (minus the tundra).

Shouldn't terrain changes of this type be more reserved for the Earth element?
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    Since Nature isn't under any elemental sphere in specific, there isn't any reason terrain changes have to be earth..
    The Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Happerry View Post
    Since Nature isn't under any elemental sphere in specific, there isn't any reason terrain changes have to be earth..
    I don't know. Maybe it's because the terrain touches the ground that got me thinking that.
    My RPG Design and Theory Blog: http://socratesrpg.blogspot.com/

Archmage of the Central Tower Happerry's Avatar
    And yet the weather patterns that determine if something is a desert or a forest are in the air..
    The Wiki.

Battlemage
    Quote Originally Posted by jamoecw View Post
    i'd do desert -> plains -> swamps -> plains -> deserts. tundras aren't cold due to clouds. the change gives a full circle thing, sorta like the original terrain conversion (minus the tundra).
    I'd think air in terms of "moves heat from one spot to another and along with it rains or dry air".

Tundra's are primarily cold because it does not get get enough heat because of lack of sunlight and other warming factors. Air is the primary carrier of heat and humidity so if you have arctic winds blowing they can expand the area of cold or bring in warm air to thaw them. If we wanted to give a simplified-almost-reality-based implementation we would have air capable of affecting all non-elevation type terrains but once the influence fades they would return back to original state. It's largely conversion between two similar types though.

The other big terraformers are sun (fire), oceans and lakes (water), soil (earth)... well for land shape reduced altitude is caused by erosion which is again winds & water where as new mountain ranges are largely birthed from volcanoes (a mix of earth and fire) and plate tectonics (earth). However I don't mind if earth gets the complete elevation control.

So I could see following changes:
    desert <--> plains
    tundra <--> swamps (tundra is in fact very soggy when it thaws)
    jungle <--> forests (boreal forests don't exist in WoM)
    Last edited by Beregar; 03-10-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Archmage of the Outer Ring jamoecw's Avatar
    i don't think we have jungles in WoM. so:
    desert <--> plains
    tundra <--> swamps

seems fine, that way there isn't massive shifts in the amount of water.

maybe have fire do swamps <--> hills; mountains <--> volcanoes; and a destruction terraforming spell which does all to desert (like bleed the land from death).
    earth do mountains -> hills -> plains -> mountains; forest <--> plains; and all -> mountain (destruction).
    water be able to expand a river onto any adjacent eligible tile, as well as expand oceans onto shore tiles (which makes adjacent land tiles shore tiles).

in MoM you were able to convert most terrain types to another of your choosing, so you should be able to do the same in WoM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast